ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: What is your favorite iOS/Android DMX light control software (via wifi)  (Read 11025 times)

Mike Karseboom

Re: What is your favorite iOS/Android DMX light control software (via wifi)
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2016, 11:52:26 AM »

Wow - thanks for the detailed report! I might have to move to a PC based system, perhaps something that can run on a Windows tablet.

I might have sounded a little overly critical towards the end of that.  Don't get me wrong, I think this is really good software for the price and when used within it's design limitations.  Support is very responsive and they keep adding new features.

For relatively simple shows where you just want a few basic scenes it is great.  You can run Luminair and you mixer app on the same iPad. 

For more complicated shows with lots of sequences of scenes it can work very well also.  It has all the power and flexibility to create extensive sequences.  Some of the automation, like an XY movement loop, is supposedly "not supported" during a sequence.  But I have found that they do seem to work.  If you work with a band and have the entire lighting show preset, or at least the lighting show preset by each song, then Luminair can handle that very well also.  Plus I guess you can use midi to trigger scenes so something like a foot pedal control might be possible.  I've never done that.

I work with different bands and none of the lighting is pre-coordinated with the music.  So for each song  I am using a combination of scenes and sequences I have pre-defined to give a cohesive look and feel.   I group these with the same button color and  icon so it is easy to see which scenes belong to a particular group.  I can run the sequence or jump out and manually jump between scenes and it can be very effective.  I just did a show with a pretty good light show while mixing a 13 piece funk band at the same time.  Lots of fast paced scene changes and lots of different looks.  It was demanding on me but pretty amazing in my mind that a show this complex and dynamic can be delivered by one operator with 2 ipads.

My light shows have been getting better in terms of more, non repettative looks and more effective and interesting use of my fixtures.  The key has been setting up the lights and working out lots of good scenes and sequences ahead of time.  Where I struggle is when I want to make certain types of adjustments on the fly during a live show.   Once again, not being an experienced lighting guy a lot of my problems might be due to lack of know how.

One of the inherent limitations for a complex show is just the screen area available on an iPad, let alone an iPhone.  It would be nice to be able to show a lot more stuff on the screen for quick access.  Scrolling back and forth can be too slow.  The processing power in the iPad is also an issue (iPad 3, 16GB).  Certain jumps are not instant and you can't always get a change as quickly as you would like.  Perhaps the speed issue could be mitigated with a faster iPad but the screen area limitation would be tough to overcome.

I am enjoying creating the light shows as they definitely take the productions up a notch.  I am thinking that if I want to get more serious about it, to where I could be hired to do just lights for something bigger than a 200 person community event, I will need to move past Luminair.  What I have been looking at is buying a used 17" touchscreen laptop, or possibly a larger all-in-one PC, and running the free version of Martin's M-PC Lightjockey software.  I will still be able to do it remotely to Art-net and it will give me a lot more power for a minimal monetary investment.
--Mike
"If you're not confused, you don't know what is going on"

Live Sound for the Mt. Shasta area
http://www.shastalivesound.com

Steve Garris

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2016, 01:51:35 PM »

I might have sounded a little overly critical towards the end of that.  Don't get me wrong, I think this is really good software for the price and when used within it's design limitations.  Support is very responsive and they keep adding new features.

For relatively simple shows where you just want a few basic scenes it is great.  You can run Luminair and you mixer app on the same iPad. 

For more complicated shows with lots of sequences of scenes it can work very well also.  It has all the power and flexibility to create extensive sequences.  Some of the automation, like an XY movement loop, is supposedly "not supported" during a sequence.  But I have found that they do seem to work.  If you work with a band and have the entire lighting show preset, or at least the lighting show preset by each song, then Luminair can handle that very well also.  Plus I guess you can use midi to trigger scenes so something like a foot pedal control might be possible.  I've never done that.

I work with different bands and none of the lighting is pre-coordinated with the music.  So for each song  I am using a combination of scenes and sequences I have pre-defined to give a cohesive look and feel.   I group these with the same button color and  icon so it is easy to see which scenes belong to a particular group.  I can run the sequence or jump out and manually jump between scenes and it can be very effective.  I just did a show with a pretty good light show while mixing a 13 piece funk band at the same time.  Lots of fast paced scene changes and lots of different looks.  It was demanding on me but pretty amazing in my mind that a show this complex and dynamic can be delivered by one operator with 2 ipads.

My light shows have been getting better in terms of more, non repettative looks and more effective and interesting use of my fixtures.  The key has been setting up the lights and working out lots of good scenes and sequences ahead of time.  Where I struggle is when I want to make certain types of adjustments on the fly during a live show.   Once again, not being an experienced lighting guy a lot of my problems might be due to lack of know how.

One of the inherent limitations for a complex show is just the screen area available on an iPad, let alone an iPhone.  It would be nice to be able to show a lot more stuff on the screen for quick access.  Scrolling back and forth can be too slow.  The processing power in the iPad is also an issue (iPad 3, 16GB).  Certain jumps are not instant and you can't always get a change as quickly as you would like.  Perhaps the speed issue could be mitigated with a faster iPad but the screen area limitation would be tough to overcome.

I am enjoying creating the light shows as they definitely take the productions up a notch.  I am thinking that if I want to get more serious about it, to where I could be hired to do just lights for something bigger than a 200 person community event, I will need to move past Luminair.  What I have been looking at is buying a used 17" touchscreen laptop, or possibly a larger all-in-one PC, and running the free version of Martin's M-PC Lightjockey software.  I will still be able to do it remotely to Art-net and it will give me a lot more power for a minimal monetary investment.

You use it pretty much how I want to, and I do plan on using a dedicated iPad or tablet just for lighting. My biggest concern is having to flip pages in order to get to a tap-sync. I want to start the sequence and quickly set the speed so I can get back to mixing. The Martin stuff looks very nice, and I like that new little control surface they have.

Right now I'm not using a controller - my current light show is too small. I have some lights set to run sound-active, and others that just slow-fade through colors. I turn these off & on along with some Par 38's as front floods using a small 3-button household remote I picked up from Amazon.

As I've been increasing my light count I'm just thinking ahead now, wanting a better show, and I love the simplicity of using a wireless controller. Thanks again for all of the valuable info.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2016, 02:03:20 PM »

I do have one gripe however:
After I had downloaded and paid for the software, I noticed a couple of issues with the software and had communicated this to Luminair customer service. It was to do with the master fader and file copying.
A rep responded and had me send him my file to check it out. He sent it back to me but the problem remained and he told me he would work on it and let me know when there was a fix. I just continued to use my own 'fix' that I had been using to make things work for me and I had work arounds for the other issues I was having.
I never heard back from him and then the new version got released within a few months and they wanted another $100 for it. So the fix presumably is to pay for the new software!!!......
It has been a good tool to allow wireless control and like I said it has been reliable - very little drop out or latency especially since I started using the Airport Express. .....
So overall I am still happy - just would have been nice for them to follow through on my problems and offer an incentive to existing customers for the new software.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2016, 02:03:20 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 22 queries.