ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: What is your favorite iOS/Android DMX light control software (via wifi)  (Read 11034 times)

Goerge Thomas

Hello all,

I am building a new 40 fixture RGBAW led lighting system. I have an En-ttec art-net dmx to ethernet controller that lets me link my dmx 512 system to my venue wifi system so I can control the rig with an ipad along with my X32 control via wifi on a 2nd ipad.

What are your favorite iOS and android lighting control apps? I do not have any intel lights or dmx foggers or strobes. Just 40 LED par cans all linked.

Let me know your thoughts. I want to be able to do basic rock show stage lighting from anywhere in the venue and not be tied to a board much like our X32 ipad control has allowed us to do for sound.

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
Re: What is your favorite iOS/Android DMX light control software (via wifi)
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 06:11:25 PM »

I have luminaire on a few systems. Works great, easy to use and reliable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve Garris

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 01:31:32 PM »

Scott, How hard is it to program or customize Luminair? I've been looking over the manual, but they use terms I'm not as familier with. I'm basically wanting to do the following:
1. Set up pre-programmed scences that activate by color coded buttons on the pad.
2. Set up pre-programmed chases - same as above.
3. Have a master fader and blackout button showing all the time.
4. Have a tap-sync button for the chase speed showing all the time.
5. Have a fade-rate slider showing all the time.

This would basically mimic the controls I'm used to on the old NSI boards I'm used to operating. I know I can get both 1 and 2 of the above, but what about the rest?

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 11:14:18 AM »

Scott, How hard is it to program or customize Luminair? I've been looking over the manual, but they use terms I'm not as familier with. I'm basically wanting to do the following:
1. Set up pre-programmed scences that activate by color coded buttons on the pad.
2. Set up pre-programmed chases - same as above.
3. Have a master fader and blackout button showing all the time.
4. Have a tap-sync button for the chase speed showing all the time.
5. Have a fade-rate slider showing all the time.

This would basically mimic the controls I'm used to on the old NSI boards I'm used to operating. I know I can get both 1 and 2 of the above, but what about the rest?

1, 2, and 3 above are all available.
4. There is a tap-sync button, but it's on a 'pop-out' window so it's not available all the time.
5. I don't believe there's a 'global' fade rate control. I believe this is set individually on each step of each scene. I don't have my iPad available to confirm.

Steve Garris

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 12:45:46 PM »

1, 2, and 3 above are all available.
4. There is a tap-sync button, but it's on a 'pop-out' window so it's not available all the time.
5. I don't believe there's a 'global' fade rate control. I believe this is set individually on each step of each scene. I don't have my iPad available to confirm.

Thanks Scott! I could live without the fade rate, the other options being more important.

Goerge Thomas

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 01:33:04 AM »

Good to know! I think I will give this a shot. Have you tried it on an ipad or an ipad mini or both?

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2016, 01:49:59 AM »

Good to know! I think I will give this a shot. Have you tried it on an ipad or an ipad mini or both?

I use Luminair on an iPad mini and an iPad 2. Very reliable.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Mike Karseboom

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2016, 01:58:38 PM »

George - some more notes for you:

1. color coded scene buttons - it is very strong in this regard.  You can make however many you like, give them a name, color code them, assign a line drawn icon to distinguish them, or even take a picture of the scene with the iPad camera and assign that.

Access to the scene buttons is either with a scrollable screen full of just buttons  or in a view that also shows dmx channel faders.  In the later case the scene buttons  are along the bottom of the screen and scroll horizontally.  In that mode it can take a while to get to widely spaced scene buttons.  Scenes can be arranged in whatever order you like.

Each scene can have a default fade time assigned. At a deeper level you can also assign individual channels to snap to their value setting rather than fade.

Scene buttons can also be set to "bump" on by tapping and holding. It returns to the prior scene when the tap is released.   But you can only do that so fast.  So trying to rapidly flash lights by tapping won't work.

2.   Pre-programmed chases are called "sequences".  These are pretty strong also.  You can access these as a "scene button" like a regular scene, or you can go to a completely separate "sequence view" to run the sequences.

Each sequence can have any number of scenes.  You have a couple of options on how the sequence executes such as repeat endlessly or run once and stop.

Within a sequence you can override the fade time and hold time that will apply to each scene.  You can also specify a tap tempo.  However this basically eliminates any fade time or hold time.  You can also specify sound activated changes but I haven't used that.

3.  Master Fader and Blackout button.  These actually take 2 taps to get to in V3.  The blackout works well as it globally sets every DMX channel value to zero immediately.  The global fader probably won't work the way you want with typical DMX fixtures.  That is because you cannot assign just some of the channels to be affected by the global fader.  So, for example, your "dimmer" channel for a particular fixture will fade as desired.  But the RGB channels will also change and you get a whole different color.  Mode, strobing, and other channels will also change causing wild results.  So the master fader is pretty much useless as currently implemented.

4.  Tap sync button - It is not globally visible.  You have to go into the sequence to get to this.  It takes a few taps to get there. Plus you have to specify the sequence to be tap sync.  You change timing types on the fly, but it is more taps.

5. Fade rate slider - It is not globally visible.  You have to go into the sequence.  I think it only applies when the sequence timing effect is set to "time".

General:

I use Luminair on iPad 3 and iPad 2 as a backup.  Both are basic 16GB models.  My main show "project" has about 6 different types of DMX fixtures and about 100 different "scenes". 

If you don't turn off the auto-backup you may experience frequent delays  switching between scenes and possible crashes.  Otherwise it has been pretty stable and responsive.

There are a lot of interesting aspects to this program which, for the most part, are poorly documented.  It is almost like one of those role playing computer games where part of the fun is figuring out how it works.  Sadly for me that is not fun.  That is just crappy documentation.

There are also a lot of powerful features that are not really very usable because they have not "matured".  For example the XY automation movements are very cool but exceedingly hard to get any precise control over due to the very small drawing box used make the changes.  Or you can sort of create your own "submasters" by assigning a new fader to multiple DMX channels, but it is not additive in any way, just LTP, and not documented.

I have been through a bunch of different workflows trying to find powerful but simple "busking" techniques.  Overall I think busking is pretty awkward with Luminair. I am not a lighting guy and don't have the background on higher end boards to know what all is possible.  But I have this vision of starting a scene with a basic color pallet and then layering things on top, turning things on and off easily, starting movement sequences and having them continue until I stop them, being able to change individual parameters like a gobo or color without affecting everything else, being able to master dim all dimmer channels, strobe all channels, change the colors of blocks of fixtures, etc., etc. all easily with simple taps.  No doubt this is a pipe dream on any console.
--Mike
"If you're not confused, you don't know what is going on"

Live Sound for the Mt. Shasta area
http://www.shastalivesound.com

Steve Garris

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2016, 08:36:33 PM »

Wow - thanks for the detailed report! I might have to move to a PC based system, perhaps something that can run on a Windows tablet.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 10:46:52 PM by Steve Garris »

veditor78

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2016, 10:03:48 PM »

I use Elation's Emulation (rebrand of CueLux) software on a Mac with TouchOSC running on an iPad. TouchOSC allows you to control software on a computer with MIDI via a bridging program on the computer. So, theoretically it can control any DMX software that allows MIDI input.

I found pre-made layouts for TouchOSC that emulate the MIDIcon. That was perfect for me since I was using the MIDIcon. There are also layouts that are designed for Emulation/CueLux. I'm sure there are other pre-made layouts for other software.

Josh Rawls

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2016, 10:03:48 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 25 queries.