ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is passive xover in speaker going out?  (Read 3924 times)

Armando Ramos

Is passive xover in speaker going out?
« on: January 19, 2016, 02:43:37 PM »

Hi,

I have two EAW FR129z (left and right) and I noticed that the left speaker was sounding muffled. I used a RTA mic and saw that the higher frequencies (4kHz and above) where being dropped. I checked my eq settings and nothing had changed.

I replaced the high frequency diaphram of the left speaker and the sound did improve. However, I used the RTA mic again (with eq turned off on my Presonus Studiolive AI mixer) and saw that I still have a dip in the 4kHz area. Could the passive xover in the left speaker be going out? I have attached the screenshots of my RTA mic readings.

I have all attached a photo of where the speakers are located in my church

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Is passive xover in speaker going out?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 07:41:04 AM »

Hi,

I have two EAW FR129z (left and right) and I noticed that the left speaker was sounding muffled. I used a RTA mic and saw that the higher frequencies (4kHz and above) where being dropped. I checked my eq settings and nothing had changed.

I replaced the high frequency diaphram of the left speaker and the sound did improve. However, I used the RTA mic again (with eq turned off on my Presonus Studiolive AI mixer) and saw that I still have a dip in the 4kHz area. Could the passive xover in the left speaker be going out? I have attached the screenshots of my RTA mic readings.

I could be an issue with a passive xover-if the crossover is doing some eqing (most do not however)

Or it could be any of the following:

1: Placement of the mic during the measurement

2: trash in the voice coil gap of the HF driver

3: trash in the phase plug of the HF driver

4: "something" in the throat of the horn

5: An eq somewhere in the system that you are not aware of.  DSPs are famous for "oh I didn't know that was there" type of thing
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 07:58:12 AM »

Hi,

When you replaced the HF diaphragm are you 100% sure you got the polarity right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 08:31:08 AM »

Testing these speakers while in place will not give you accurate enough data for an effective comparison.
Take them down and do a fixed location "bench" test.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 12:21:41 PM »

When you replaced the HF diaphragm are you 100% sure you got the polarity right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And is he 100% sure the original wiring in the cabinet is correct?

I have seen a number of cabinets over the years in which the + and - wires have gotten swapped coming out of the circuit board.

So simply replacing the driver and hooking up the wired correctly to it, may NOT be the correct way (if the other end is wrong)
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Armando Ramos

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 07:30:09 PM »

Thanks for the replies! I checked the polarity and it's correct.

I'm going to check the DSP settings and also make sure the horn and HF driver are clean.

Kent Thompson

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2016, 08:26:13 PM »

Something like that is more likely to be a room anomaly or measurement issue but, replacing one of the horn drivers and not both can cause you to end up with different sounding speakers if they have a few years on them.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2016, 08:26:13 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 25 queries.