ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: SMAART v7x  (Read 11175 times)

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
SMAART v7x
« on: January 19, 2016, 01:19:17 PM »

We have decide to purchase some measurement software.  My first thought is to purchase SMAART v7.x.  We will be using the software to help tune 3 of our systems: KF850ef/SB1000, KF730/SB1000 and RCF HDL20-A/SB1000.

Before I spend another $900 does anyone have any other recommendations for measurement software that I should look into?

Thanks in advance for your help and recommendations.

Bill  ;)
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: SMAART v7x
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 01:47:42 PM »

The other primary option is SysTune from AFMG, the same folks who wrote EASE and EASE Focus.

Regardless of which measurement system you select I *strongly* suggest you take the training class.  It's not terribly difficult to get squiggly lines on the computer screen - what is difficult it making valid measurements and knowing when you look at the screen that you've not achieved that goal.

I took my first Smaart class in 2004 and spent weeks un-learning what I thought I knew (self training in 2003 wasn't such a good idea for me) and then still making hundreds more invalid measurements in the process of reinforcing my class training and learning to interpret what was displayed.

I've taken Smaart training from Jamie Anderson and Harry Brill, both very good instructors with very different styles.  If you take SysTune training try to get in a class taught by Bruce Olson and/or Charlie Hughes.  Training is also available from SynAudCon.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 01:51:20 PM »

Regardless of which measurement system you select I *strongly* suggest you take the training class.  It's not terribly difficult to get squiggly lines on the computer screen - what is difficult it making valid measurements and knowing when you look at the screen that you've not achieved that goal.

If I decide on SMAART, there is a class coming up in a few weeks in Denver.  I plan on spending the additional $750 and doing it.  We are slow this time of year so I can afford the time away plus I will learn to do it right from the start.

Thanks Tim.

Bill

schnakesound.com

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 02:41:34 PM »

We have decide to purchase some measurement software.  My first thought is to purchase SMAART v7.x.  We will be using the software to help tune 3 of our systems: KF850ef/SB1000, KF730/SB1000 and RCF HDL20-A/SB1000.

Before I spend another $900 does anyone have any other recommendations for measurement software that I should look into?

Thanks in advance for your help and recommendations.

Bill  ;)

If you don't already have measurement or acoustic chops, go the Smaart route.  SysTune is quite powerful but much harder for beginners.  You have to make decisions which are already accounted for in Smaart.  Specifically, the main difference is the windowing mechanisms.  It's totally behind the scenes in Smaart.  With SysTune, you have to make some decisions, and you need to have the knowledge to make the correct decisions.

I teach both, use both, and they both have their places.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 03:41:17 PM »

If you don't already have measurement or acoustic chops, go the Smaart route. 
Thanks Doug, I am fairly sure that is where we are headed.  You know this is all you fault, Doug. ;)  We have picked up some second tier work in the Granite City/St. Louis area and I feel that I need to be better prepared for the shows.

Thanks for all of your help.

Bill

schnakesound.com

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 05:29:08 PM »

As others have suggested-getting the software is JUST STEP ONE.

The next BIG STEP is learning how to use it.

And that does not mean knowing how to get around on the software-that is easy.

The HARD part is knowing what to do-what the display is telling you etc.

All any of the measurement systems do is tell you information (BUT YOU have to determine if what they are telling you is correct)

They DO NOT tell you what to do about it.  THAT is the hard part.

If you do not have previous measurement experience (NO RTA does NOT count), then a couple of training (notice I said couple) courses need to be planned on.  Maybe training by different instructors on different gear.

The gear is easy-the understanding is a whole different story.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 05:34:01 PM »

If you do not have previous measurement experience (NO RTA does NOT count), then a couple of training (notice I said couple) courses need to be planned on. 

^^THIS

The first time I took the class was sort of like drinking from a fire hose. I've been using it for a year or so now and am signed up for another class next month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Christian Güssmer

• www.guessmer.de
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2016, 03:52:56 PM »

I totally agree with anything being said about learning. But the best is: if you then know what it is all about you might use more than just one of the measurement programs. Or the other way around: you might as well take a Meyer SIM3 course and be able to use what you've learned to operate Smaart, ...

And just to drop a note about a great measurement alternative: SATlive http://english.satlive.audio/

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2016, 09:21:34 AM »

To quote Ivan yet again: It depends.

Smaart and similar are powerful enough to help with fastidious data acquisition used in the development of manufacturers' presets. For a "Hit n' Run" (I say that with first-hand knowledge and respect) regional sound provider, that may simply be too much.

I have seen plenty of top-flight, international FOH sound people use varying programs and techniques to get usable info and results out of a rig. It is typically a couple of IR waterfalls and Ye Olde SM58 walkaround, resulting in an informed notch here or there.

If your goal is greater understanding of how good/awful sound systems are and how limited we are to achieve an acoustic ideal, please do go for it.

If you think you can second-guess major manufacturers efforts and custom-FIR your way to glory, think again.

Good, modern PA gear, plus freeware/cheapware like REW, coupled with a HOSA Usb pre cable, a low cost omni condenser mic, and a whole lot of woodshedding can probably get you what we all desire: good sound routinely.

And wisdom.

What I am saying is your $1k may be better spent fixing the AC in the truck.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 10:45:25 AM by Jim McKeveny »

Steve Payne

• Soundworks of Virginia, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2016, 09:53:19 AM »

What I am saying is your $1k may be better of spent fixing the AC in the truck.

It just doesn't get any better than this.  :-)
Steve Payne
like us on Facebook at:
https://www.facebook.com/SOUNDWORKSOFVIRGINIA

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2016, 09:53:19 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 25 queries.