ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: switching between House and Monitor mixing on a digital mixer  (Read 8723 times)

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: switching between House and Monitor mixing on a digital mixer
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2016, 05:29:00 PM »

I think the hardware is more standardized than the mixing styles here.  The only real difference I can see is whether or not the desk allows you to adjust a single channel across all mixes rather than one at a time.  So is it the channel or the mix?

Sends on faders pretty much means that it should be one push to get there, one push to get back.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Jeff Hague

• Richmond Pro Audio
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2016, 02:31:00 PM »

I guess I am confused?  I just started using a QU-32 and I use it for mains and monitors.  By default, lets say input #1 is assigned to input #1 on each mix-and sends to various mixes can be set either pre or post fader.  If you want completely separate main and monitor mixes, simply send the LR to Mix 1 (or 2 or??) pre fade. 

Essentially, each channel is already assignable to any or all of 10 mixes.  Perhaps just a different way of thinking? Or am I missing something?  To me this is far easier.  For example, our church piano is input 22 (I think)-so it is 22 no matter which mix I am trying to tweak-mains, monitor, hall feed, or overflow.

Seems like you are working hard at making this difficult?  With the QU, press mix 1 and you go to the mix 1 layer, press it again and you are back on main LR layer.

Pretty much the same on the APP.  app also has 3 custom layers that you can mix and match main faders including FX as well as channels etc.  Again, each layer selectable with a single softkey.

This is a very common paradigm for mixing both house and monitors on 1 desk and it generally works out fine. This is how I did things for many years but in the last couple years of my analog days I started splitting just the money channels to 2 inputs using a Y cable (usually there weren't enough channels to split them all). Now on digital consoles with multiple layers I split all channels.
The primary advantage is that you can set the monitor mix sends to post eq. With a single input you typically set the monitor mix sends pre eq so changes to house dont affect the monitors. But this means you have to be "happy" with the pre eq sound in the monitors. By splitting to 2 channels and setting the mix sends to post eq I now have separate eqs for house and for monitors on all channels. Its a lot closer to having separate house and monitor consoles. The same is true for HPF, gate, comp, etc... I also now typically set the monitor mix sends to post fader so that if I need to bring a channel up or down in ALL mixes I can do it just once on the fader instead of drilling in to each mix.
It certainly does complicate things and the work flow takes some getting used to. I still find myself sometimes sending a "house" channel to a monitor mix and then realizing that I should have used the split channel.
Jeff

gordonmcgregor

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2016, 04:42:43 PM »

The Roland M200 app needs 3 taps to get to a Monitor on Faders send I still think this desk has one of the best IPad apps out there G

Roland Clarke

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2016, 04:52:41 PM »

With the Presonus Universal Control App it's 2 button pushes.

One push to choose your monitor mix, the vertical row of mix buttons 1-16. In the pic mix 1&2 are linked.

Make the channel fader adjustment. The fader to the left of the mix buttons is its main level for the selected monitor mix.

Press the main mix and you're back. The app is available on iTunes to check out.

This is just one button press.  Press the mix you want and adjust.

Roland Clarke

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2016, 04:54:15 PM »

That's all well and fine, however, all of the mixes on the Performer, Expression, etc. can be put on the same layer. Once done you can see and work ALL of the mixes at the same time by pressing a single button vs. a button for each mix. Another press and your back to FOH or whatever else you need to look at. Soundcraft channels can be freely assigned to whatever layer you want, and they can also be cloned to whatever layer you want. I.E, the money channel on every layer if that's what you need.

I'm assuming that is as long as all your aux mixes collectively have less than 32 faders?

Rob Gow

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2016, 09:21:31 PM »

This is just one button press.  Press the mix you want and adjust.

Ah yes. I included getting back to the main mix...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66QO1WZgbCY

Hanno Meingast

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2016, 10:08:19 PM »

That's all well and good, but does not address the OP's question.  He's running monitors from channels 17-32, house from 1-16.
The X32 android app(mixing station) allows 16 channels on one layer, allows one to rearrange the layers, and seems to allow for two finger taps, i.e. Layer b along with 'sends on fader' and layer A with 'sends on faders ' to return to the main mix.
You still have to select the group you need to adjust. I'm assuming the app would work similarly on QU mixers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.    Hanno

Steve Oldridge

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2016, 10:40:41 AM »

That's all well and good, but does not address the OP's question.  He's running monitors from channels 17-32, house from 1-16.
The X32 android app(mixing station) allows 16 channels on one layer, allows one to rearrange the layers, and seems to allow for two finger taps, i.e. Layer b along with 'sends on fader' and layer A with 'sends on faders ' to return to the main mix.
You still have to select the group you need to adjust.
This is what we do with our X32 Producer ... single input split to Ch-1 AND Ch-17
1-16 are for FOH.
17-32 are the same 16 inputs mapped to another "layer" for our 6 stereo-IEM mixes, so they are NOT impacted by FOH changes.  Other than gain/trim, which is adjusted during sound check, everything else is completely independent from the FOH mix, and we allow band members control of their output buss parameters (Compression/EQ) if they want.

When we plug into a house system, the snake splits are mapped to 1-16, so 17-32 channels remain pretty consistent. Slight gain adjustments maybe, and small tweaks to individual IEM mix levels is all that is needed.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2016, 10:40:41 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 20 queries.