ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: switching between House and Monitor mixing on a digital mixer  (Read 8824 times)

Samuel Sjöbergsson

Re: switching between House and Monitor mixing on a digital mixer
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2016, 01:54:04 AM »

I don't know about the qu but x32 and on soundcraft si impact and the like you can have the send point before dynamics but I don't think that you can have different EQ on the same channel.

Skickat från min GT-I9505 via Tapatalk

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2016, 06:37:10 AM »

But each mix can have it's own EQ, and each mix can be separated from L-R-C or MONO and routed to a separate output. Within each mix each channel can have it's own fader w/ EQ and with 14 or 20 mixes, depending on the Si you can easily work the 14 mixes/monitors off a single layer and flip back to FOH with a single button.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2016, 07:11:40 AM »

tap Fader Assign panel and
tap Fader View B to see monitor channels
    adjust monitor faders, possibly swipe left/right to get to more channels, then

tap Fader Assign panel and
tap View A to see House channels

IMHO you've created these 4 extra taps unnecessarily by the notion that you need separate channels for mains and mixes. And you decided you want different fader views instead of just looking at all your channels at one time.. I'm not sure any of the other apps even have that functionality per se but with QU you can use the Custom fader view feature. That will eliminate 2 taps overall.

You could also eliminate the need for different fader views just by assigning all your monitor channels to one end of the faders. Swipe instead of two more taps.

If your mixes are pre-dsp there will be no compression in your monitors. If you need to change individual channel EQ for your monitors, I think you have another root cause issue that need addressed in another way. You should not have to have separate channel EQ for your monitors. Something else is way off somewhere.

The  6 band parametric EQ/or  32 GEQ  on each monitor mix should easily take care of whatever bizarre EQ thing you're doing on the individual channels in the mixes.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 07:32:32 AM by Scott Olewiler »
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Roland Clarke

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2016, 10:58:33 AM »

Hi Folks,

I commonly mix House and Monitors on one mixer, with one tablet.
 On my current digital mixers I double-assign one preamp to two channels, one for House, one for Monitors.
 Other than shared gain, this provides separate House and Monitor mixers.

Right now, with one app, to go from the L/R House mix to a Monitor mix to adjust a fader, and back to the
L/R mix, I have to do EIGHT taps.
The Yamaha LS9(and some others) can do this in four taps.

Is there a digital mixer with a tablet app that has the L/R Master and all Auxes
viewable/selectable all the time?
 And I can assign only channels I want to see to the L/R Master, and any Aux?
 This would mean one tap to select Aux-1(or any other Aux), adjust Monitor faders, and
 a second tap to go back to the L/R mix and House channels.

Are there any mixers/apps that can do this in two taps?

Thanks and good health, Weogo

Well at the risk of going against the grain most of the options offered are still quite complicated.  I have a Presonus RM32.  Main mix up, tap aux number and you are on that mix on the faders.  Aux 1 - mix 1, aux 2 - mix 2, etc, etc.  You have 16 aux sends (effects are on four separate dedicated FX send), all have parametric eq with high pass filter and the first 14 also have 31 band graphic.  One button push you are back to FOH mix.  Sure this is all on the same channels, haven't played to see if it is possible to double assign, but I wouldn't bother with that anyway, should be able to make the mix work as is with level adjustment and master parametric, LPF and graphic.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2016, 11:19:57 AM »

That's all well and fine, however, all of the mixes on the Performer, Expression, etc. can be put on the same layer. Once done you can see and work ALL of the mixes at the same time by pressing a single button vs. a button for each mix. Another press and your back to FOH or whatever else you need to look at. Soundcraft channels can be freely assigned to whatever layer you want, and they can also be cloned to whatever layer you want. I.E, the money channel on every layer if that's what you need.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2016, 12:55:04 PM »

For those who don't know it's only two taps to go from the Main to an Aux mix on the DL32 app.  Seems some of you have missed that.

Same number as the x32-mix (tap send on faders, then tap which mix) but one less than the QU-pad (just tap the mix). I can't remember what the ViSi app is.

It only takes 8 taps for the OP because he chooses to only view certain channel faders depending which mix he's looking at.  So instead of 2 taps in and 2 taps out like most of us using master fader, he ends up with 4 taps in and 4 taps out. 
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 12:59:37 PM by Scott Olewiler »
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2016, 01:24:32 PM »

Bob, I think they're talking about the Ipad apps more than the console layers.
The Soundcraft ViSi app isn't very formattable, and for me sometimes doesn't recognize re-mapped faders very well.  It does page between FOH and monitors easily.
With two Ipads, you can keep one as a meter bridge running all the time.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2016, 02:28:53 PM »

There is another way that gets it to less than four taps. With the X32 and the LS9 you can get to the monitor sends without going into sends on fader easily.

Select desired mix layer = possibly one tap
Select the desired mix to change = 1 tap
Select the desired layer or other channel again possibly = 1 tap.

This gets you down to a two tap minimum and the third and any subsequent taps are possibly not needed.

The LS9 has the selected send knob. If your on the correct channel and have the desired mix selected in the mix bank, you can't get any easier than that. The X32 has a very similar option. The mix layers are separated on 4 buttons with corresponding knobs. Select the desired channel and mix bank and adjust at will. In either case both can get the taps to 2. You just have to be comfortable with using a knob to make the adjustment.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Rob Gow

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2016, 02:41:57 PM »

With the Presonus Universal Control App it's 2 button pushes.

One push to choose your monitor mix, the vertical row of mix buttons 1-16. In the pic mix 1&2 are linked.

Make the channel fader adjustment. The fader to the left of the mix buttons is its main level for the selected monitor mix.

Press the main mix and you're back. The app is available on iTunes to check out.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 02:45:27 PM by Rob Gow »

David Lovrien

• Dallas, TX
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2016, 05:17:22 PM »

QSC TouchMix 16, 1 tap (Aux button) takes you to faders of last Aux selected. 2 taps to change Aux. 1 tap to return to Main mix.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2016, 05:17:22 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 23 queries.