ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL SRX828sp T-Nut fell off  (Read 11440 times)

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
Re: JBL SRX828sp T-Nut fell off
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2016, 10:23:59 PM »

It shouldn't void the warranty. If amp or speaker fails, you're not going to send the whole speaker box to JBL for repair. Just the amp or the speaker. They will never see the cabinet.

Josh Evangelista

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2016, 02:19:40 PM »

I was fortunate that when I took the grille off, I put my arm through and in between the separating boards, reached back and to the left ( the side where the T nut fell) and immediately put my hand on the fallen T nut......Just a fluke. I wouldn't want them rattling around in there. However, I did notice a lot of wadding at the back of the cabinet which could  'catch'the T nut and stop it from rattling around too much.

Debbie, I called JBL and they suggested to send it for repair to a service center or if I was brave enough, to DIY. Luke Geis was correct as it was confirmed by JBL that I can reattach through the handle. I removed 8 screws, detached the handle and voila, those T-Nuts were right smack in front of the handle opening. Piece of cake! I dont even have to hammer it back. All I did was screw the bolt on the cabinet with the nut attached.

Thanks for your help and everyone else!

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2016, 07:38:02 PM »

Debbie, I called JBL and they suggested to send it for repair to a service center or if I was brave enough, to DIY. Luke Geis was correct as it was confirmed by JBL that I can reattach through the handle. I removed 8 screws, detached the handle and voila, those T-Nuts were right smack in front of the handle opening. Piece of cake! I dont even have to hammer it back. All I did was screw the bolt on the cabinet with the nut attached.

The first thing I tried was to get the handle off - but couldn't.  It is in 2 parts and the the main part (that you hold) came away and I couldn't get the recessed housing off... How did you do manage to do that because I agree it would make the job much easier.??

One more thing - I mentioned to the JBL tech when I called that the handle wasn't coming off and I assumed it was glued in really well - he didn't offer any advice there so I figured it wasn't a solution. was there a seal or glue holding yours on?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 07:44:02 PM by Debbie Dunkley »
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2016, 12:54:51 AM »

I would have put a touch a wood glue on the t-nut, avoiding the threads for a little future insurance.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Josh Evangelista

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2016, 10:16:48 PM »

The first thing I tried was to get the handle off - but couldn't.  It is in 2 parts and the the main part (that you hold) came away and I couldn't get the recessed housing off... How did you do manage to do that because I agree it would make the job much easier.??

One more thing - I mentioned to the JBL tech when I called that the handle wasn't coming off and I assumed it was glued in really well - he didn't offer any advice there so I figured it wasn't a solution. was there a seal or glue holding yours on?

If you look at the handle you will notice that you have 4 screws on each side. Unscrew the middle bolts (2nd and 3rd from the top) on each side that holds the handle. Once thats done, just pull the handle and it should come off easily. If it doesn't, you might have to exert a little effort. Now to take out the whole handle housing and not to damage the cab, you have to pry it carefully as it is glued. I used a flat screwdriver and pried it on the right side of the handle, between the top and 2nd screw.

Scott. Yup I thought about that but I wasn't going to unbolt all those wheels unless I sell the cabs.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 12:46:29 AM by Josh Evangelista »

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2016, 04:58:43 PM »

If you look at the handle you will notice that you have 4 screws on each side. Unscrew the middle bolts (2nd and 3rd from the top) on each side that holds the handle. Once thats done, just pull the handle and it should come off easily. If it doesn't, you might have to exert a little effort. Now to take out the whole handle housing and not to damage the cab, you have to pry it carefully as it is glued. I used a flat screwdriver and pried it on the right side of the handle, between the top and 2nd screw.

Scott. Yup I thought about that but I wasn't going to unbolt all those wheels unless I sell the cabs.

Yes - I figured they had to be well glued in - when the 'T' nut first fell inside, I spent some time trying to pry the one off closest to where it fell. I'll try again at some point but I'm not going to risk busting the wood.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2016, 05:19:06 PM »

I would have put a touch a wood glue on the t-nut, avoiding the threads for a little future insurance.
General wood glue in intended for porous surfaces. It does not stick to metal very good.

Silicon is much better for sticking to both surfaces and easy to work with.

Construction adhesive would be better-but can be a bit messy.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2019, 11:42:00 AM »

Old thread I know but I remembered Josh you had been able to remove the handle from your SRX cab so I checked out what you did. I still can't seem to get it off though. Removing the middle screws simply allows the handle piece to come apart from the recessed mount. How did you remove the mount?

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2019, 02:59:12 AM »

Old thread I know but I remembered Josh you had been able to remove the handle from your SRX cab so I checked out what you did. I still can't seem to get it off though. Removing the middle screws simply allows the handle piece to come apart from the recessed mount. How did you remove the mount?

Same technique we discussed with your stuck XLR.  Putty knife or sharp flat blade screwdriver.  Be prepared for a scratch or two with some touch up paint or a giant Sharpey.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2019, 04:06:48 AM »

With compressed foam gaskets, you can end up with parts stuck firmly to the cabinet, even with no screws in place.

You can lever them apart, but would recommend doing so over a fairly wide area. A small flat screwdriver, for instance, will do the job, but will usually leave an indentation in the wood that you're levering against.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2019, 04:06:48 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 23 queries.