ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Compact replacement for EAW SB180’s  (Read 3874 times)

jamesheyser

Compact replacement for EAW SB180’s
« on: January 13, 2019, 04:06:50 PM »

My SB180’s were stolen so I’m starting from scratch. I love these subs but since I have the chance to start over I figured I’d throw it out there and see if there were alternatives that are either more compact or higher output in the same sized package. I like that I can manage them alone at 100lbs. I am not looking to compromise extension to low frequencies (25 hz). Any good alternatives?

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
Re: Compact replacement for EAW SB180’s
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 04:33:26 PM »

If you wish to stay with EAW, JFL118 is pretty good and easy to handle IMHO.

Or you could always look around for some used SB1000. One of the easiest dual 18" to move around.

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 03:37:35 AM »

Well, it's a decent 18" driver in a low-tuned cabinet.

If you're certain that you need that sort of low-frequency extension (ie, you've run your program material through an RTA, and decided there's enough VLF to be worth reproducing, and you're willing to trade SPL at 40-50Hz to get it*), I'd probably look for more of the same. There aren't many single-18" cabs tuned that low.

The alternative would be to DIY. Ported boxes aren't difficult. Something like the Orthorn would give you a lot more output, but it's a bigger (heavier) box.

What do you have in the way of amplification?

* It's worth noting that there's a serious tradeoff in SPL to get a cabinet to go to 25Hz. The same driver running to 40Hz would get about 8dB louder before running out of cone excursion. That's why most 1x18" subs get tuned in the 35-45Hz region.
FWIW, I have some 15"s that are flat-to-40Hz in a 600x440x440mm box that weighs a little over half the SB180s.
A quick simulation (comparing the 15" vs an 18" in a cabinet double the size and tuned to 25Hz, and each using 10mm of one-way cone excursion) puts the 15" 5dB ahead at 40Hz, and still 3dB ahead at 80Hz. With the necessary highpass filter in place, the 15" and 18" match in SPL at 36Hz, and below that the 18" wins.

I'd just like to make sure you're aware of the tradeoffs.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

David Morison

• SR Forums
  • Aberdeen, Scotland
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 05:07:47 AM »

My SB180’s were stolen so I’m starting from scratch. I love these subs but since I have the chance to start over I figured I’d throw it out there and see if there were alternatives that are either more compact or higher output in the same sized package. I like that I can manage them alone at 100lbs. I am not looking to compromise extension to low frequencies (25 hz). Any good alternatives?

To be fair, the 25Hz thing was the -10dB point on the original version, not the -3dB point that many might consider to be "flat".
The (admittedly later) SB180Z version includes graphs of the unprocessed response as well as the amount of processing going on to get it flat, to give you an idea of what the native response of the box/driver is: https://eaw-g9n1f8q3p5.netdna-ssl.com/docs/1_Current_Products/SB/Spec_Sheets/SB180zR_SPECS_revA.pdf
HTH,
David.

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 07:00:49 AM »

HTH,
David.

Looks like it's actually tuned in the low-30s, but the processing results in the rolloff happening around 40Hz. Interesting choice. Maybe getting flat to 30Hz would've been too much EQ boost to be acceptable.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

John Schalk

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2019, 09:23:09 AM »

There are 3 listings for used SB180 subs on reverb.com today.  The asking price ranges from $500 - $800.  Given that you are being forced to get new subs, I would give some consideration to switching to powered speakers.  ProAudioStar was having a pretty good sale last weekend on B-stock JBLs.  The one that caught my eye was the PRX818XLFW for $820.  JBL does publish the frequency response (I assume it's the processed output) for the PRX subs.

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2019, 09:55:38 AM »

The one that caught my eye was the PRX818XLFW for $820.

You might want to check with your favorite JBL dealer before you pay that for b-stock.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

John Schalk

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2019, 11:54:43 AM »

You might want to check with your favorite JBL dealer before you pay that for b-stock.

I should've just wrote that in the first place :)

David Morison

• SR Forums
  • Aberdeen, Scotland
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2019, 04:19:20 PM »

Looks like it's actually tuned in the low-30s, but the processing results in the rolloff happening around 40Hz. Interesting choice. Maybe getting flat to 30Hz would've been too much EQ boost to be acceptable.

Chris

Looks like it would take about 6dB more boost to get 30Hz to -3dB, so you could well be right.
I'm sure a much larger vent would be required to handle that extra boost near Fb, eating into Vb as well.
D.

Sam Saponaro Jr

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2019, 11:50:53 PM »

I have a pair of SB180z for my band system. I beleive they are flat to 32Hz and -10db at 28Hz....I use mine unprocessed(analog x over and 1300W to each) and have been very happy with them for indoor small clubs.
Another option would be to build TL boxes(I have 4)the way the port area is its very easy to modify for differant drivers.I extended mine 10" inward(tunes um to like 37Hz or something I forget)and have Carvin PSC 18s in them(not greatest drivers)but they perform well with a real driver Id imagine they could be on level with the SB180s.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2019, 11:50:53 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 25 queries.