ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Help tuning Speakers with DBX DriveRack260  (Read 12094 times)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Help tuning Speakers with DBX DriveRack260
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2016, 03:17:06 PM »

I mentioned in the original post about my highs I blew them over the holidays for what I know to be acouple of reasons one I upgraded my amp rack and steped up my amps I ended up with a qsc gx7 as my highs amp. I know its too much wattage but what can I do. I now have the gain at about 30% and I suspect my wiring was also wrong. I read somewhere that you should not wire a horn driver parallel with tweeter straight to the amp. Does this mean I should rewire them in Series and if so they both have caps that come with them do I remove them or just wire in series regardless??
There are different things that can blow up drivers.  Over power is one-over excursion is another.

The size of the power amp is just thing.  But DO NOT THINK that turning down the gain on the amp reduces the power!!!!!!!!  IT DOES NOT.

You can turn the amp almost all the way down and it can still produce full output.

Did you have any limiters set?  If so-how did you set them?

There is nothing wrong with wiring a HF driver directly to the amp.  Whoever told you this is wrong.

Wiring them in series will reduce the voltage going to each one-but they will also be quieter at the same time.

A cap in series can help reduce the low freq-but the crossover in the DSP should do that.

A cap will introduce a 90* phase shift-which can possibly make it harder to do a proper alignment in the DSP.

But that also depends on the size of the cap-the impedance of the driver-the crossover freq in the DSP and so forth.

You have to understand all of this to do it "right".

GUESSING is NOT the way to go about it.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2016, 03:21:55 PM »

I just looked at your equipment list and it raises some question.

How exactly are you wiring/running your system currently?

You have 4 different drivers listed-but you list your amps as 3 way.
Are running the tweeters and compression drivers off of the same amp?

Or are you running all the cone woofers off of the same passband?

This can make a big difference in how things are wired up.

If the tweeters and compression drivers are off of the same amp-then you need the caps on the tweeters.

However-unless you low pass the compression drivers, you could end up with LESS output at some of the high freq due to cancellations between the tweeters and compression driver-due to the phase difference.

IT DEPENDS A LOT in this case.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2016, 07:08:46 PM »

Thank you Scott really, Collier is further NW of Dade County I do appreciate your help and man I wish I could ask you to stop by but we're so close but yet so far. I mentioned in the original post about my highs I blew them over the holidays for what I know to be acouple of reasons one I upgraded my amp rack and steped up my amps I ended up with a qsc gx7 as my highs amp. I know its too much wattage but what can I do. I now have the gain at about 30% and I suspect my wiring was also wrong. I read somewhere that you should not wire a horn driver parallel with tweeter straight to the amp. Does this mean I should rewire them in Series and if so they both have caps that come with them do I remove them or just wire in series regardless??

Certainly you can hook the horn to the amp assuming the impedance is within the amps capabilities.

The cap should not be required in a biamp configuration.  A capacitor in series with the voice coil forms a simple LC network, the most basic of crossovers.  Redundant to the drive rack.  These are audio basics you should understand before wiring up a complex bi-amp'd system.

I don't remember if the 260 has a voltage limiter option.  If it does you could at least calculate the limiter setting, protecting your tweeters.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Joel Gamez

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2016, 10:09:31 PM »

Certainly you can hook the horn to the amp assuming the impedance is within the amps capabilities.

The cap should not be required in a biamp configuration.  A capacitor in series with the voice coil forms a simple LC network, the most basic of crossovers.  Redundant to the drive rack.  These are audio basics you should understand before wiring up a complex bi-amp'd system.

I don't remember if the 260 has a voltage limiter option.  If it does you could at least calculate the limiter setting, protecting your tweeters.

Ok yes I am running a compression driver and tweeter per a pair per channel wired parallel now the PRV 350 to tweeter comes with a soldered cap I don't know it's rating both yes both the driver and tweeter have a cap on it. And yes the DBX260 has a limiter feature but don't know exactly how to use it.

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2016, 07:20:10 AM »

Do you know how to use any limiter?

The HF drivers (professional speakers don't have tweeters) in parallel is probably the root of your issue.  Placings drivers in parallel decreases impedance increasing amplifier output, you should run them in series.  The amp will be easier to control with a more resistive load.

It is clear from your comments that you don't have the requisite experience to tackle this yourself.  You don't want to hire someone to make a small tactical change in processing.  You need an engineer to look at the whole system and develop a strategy for you.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2016, 10:02:39 AM »

Do you know how to use any limiter?

The HF drivers (professional speakers don't have tweeters) in parallel is probably the root of your issue.  Placings drivers in parallel decreases impedance increasing amplifier output, you should run them in series.  The amp will be easier to control with a more resistive load.

It is clear from your comments that you don't have the requisite experience to tackle this yourself.  You don't want to hire someone to make a small tactical change in processing.  You need an engineer to look at the whole system and develop a strategy for you.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
[/quote
He SHOULD NOT run the tweeters and compression drivers in series.

If he does, then the compression drivers will be limited by the cap crossover of the tweeter.

If there was a proper crossover (meaning a low pass on the compression driver) then the impedance will not be lowered by using the higher freq tweeter.

The crossover will "take care" of the impedance issue.

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2016, 10:08:17 AM »

Ok yes I am running a compression driver and tweeter per a pair per channel wired parallel now the PRV 350 to tweeter comes with a soldered cap I don't know it's rating both yes both the driver and tweeter have a cap on it. And yes the DBX260 has a limiter feature but don't know exactly how to use it.
Maybe it would help if you told us what settings you are currently using.

Not that anybody would be willing to "stand behind" any suggestions, but it would give an idea of how much  guidance is needed.

Some screen shots for example

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2016, 10:10:25 AM »

The HF drivers (professional speakers don't have tweeters)
Actually quite a few currently do, and have used tweeters, historically.

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Joel Gamez

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2016, 12:16:58 AM »

Well looked up somethings on my dbx I set my settings to the best sounding to me I also included limiter for you guys to help me with.

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2016, 02:14:55 AM »

I was only trying to indoctrinate him to pro sound vernacular. 

Gomer's refer to HF drivers generically as tweeters.

I do know that the older JBL SR series had an ultra high range HF driver that some referred to as a "super tweeter" 

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2016, 02:14:55 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 24 queries.