ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Presidential GOP debate.  (Read 6469 times)

Collin Ronsonette

Re: Presidential GOP debate.
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2016, 01:30:38 PM »

Huh interesting. Thats something that I would want to try out for sure. It would be interesting to see the actual difference between having the omni mic facing down or facing up.

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2016, 05:34:17 PM »

Huh interesting. Thats something that I would want to try out for sure. It would be interesting to see the actual difference between having the omni mic facing down or facing up.

I would think that the best way to try that would be to do it when you can double mic someone. Use a double clip and put one facing up and one facing down and listen to see if there is any difference. I am going to have to try that sometime myself. 

Chris Johnson [UK]

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2016, 05:53:52 PM »

Huh. Interesting that its a geographical thing. I'm from the UK, and would always mount an omni lav upside down (ingrained BBC influence perhaps?).

There is no good reason not to. Windshields look crap on camera, a true omni will sound identical upside down, except the inversion protects the element better from air noise, and therefore particularly helps with plosives.

Double lav-ing is also common, not just to backup the mic element, but also to back up the RF path. 2 mics, 2 beltpacks...
Riedel Communications

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2016, 05:03:22 PM »

Huh. Interesting that its a geographical thing. I'm from the UK, and would always mount an omni lav upside down (ingrained BBC influence perhaps?).

There is no good reason not to. Windshields look crap on camera, a true omni will sound identical upside down, except the inversion protects the element better from air noise, and therefore particularly helps with plosives.

Double lav-ing is also common, not just to backup the mic element, but also to back up the RF path. 2 mics, 2 beltpacks...
+1 to all that, from another Brit - stunned that it doesn't appear to happen elsewhere!

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2016, 06:14:02 PM »

+1 to all that, from another Brit - stunned that it doesn't appear to happen elsewhere!

I noticed the upside down omni lav trick during the last few months of the Daily Show with John Stewart.   Could have been happening earlier in the show, and it could be happening now with Trevor Noah...but i haven't actively seen it, nor have a looked.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2016, 06:22:03 PM »

I like the way the cable dresses better when omni lavs are used 'upside down'.  The cable is making a circle and already headed down as it goes to the back of whatever clothing you've clipped too.  With the mic in the 'standard orientation' it's headed up and so you have to turn it around behind the garment to head where you [probably] want to go.

Occasionally i do want the cable traveling up because i'm going up past the neck to the back, but usually down is the preferred direction.

The newer Shure mic clips with the clever multi slot cable dressing built in to the clip makes this less of an issue either way, but i still like to do it this way when i can.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

TomBoisseau

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2016, 03:04:12 PM »

I have actually encountered a few omni lavs that sound better (in my opinion) upside down!  I do quite a bit of location sound for video, and will frequently turn a lav upside down (usually when concealed under clothing) for easier "rigging" and to reduce plosives.  Personally however, when just clipping them exposed to clothing, I prefer them right side up, mainly because I feel upside down just draws attention to itself (as it clearly has done so here) and is a distraction to the audience.

Tom

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2016, 03:04:12 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 25 queries.