ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Booties  (Read 6041 times)

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
Booties
« on: January 12, 2016, 07:56:14 PM »

I may have just landed an A-V upgrade at a Mosque, but they've asked that my crew either walks around in stocking feet or uses some kind of slip covers over our shoes. Of course, we'll be running up and down ladders, so I don't want to create an unsafe situation using something like nurses and doctors wear. Any idea on non-slip shoe covers/booties that might work?

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Booties
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 08:04:02 PM »

I may have just landed an A-V upgrade at a Mosque, but they've asked that my crew either walks around in stocking feet or uses some kind of slip covers over our shoes. Of course, we'll be running up and down ladders, so I don't want to create an unsafe situation using something like nurses and doctors wear. Any idea on non-slip shoe covers/booties that might work?

Instead of worrying about ladders, why not avail yourselves of a Hindu lift:
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 08:30:45 PM »

What about a dedicated set of soft rubber shoes that are new and only worn within the building. Like house slippers that are traded out for your shoes at the door?
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Mike Sokol

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 08:40:28 PM »

What about a dedicated set of soft rubber shoes that are new and only worn within the building. Like house slippers that are traded out for your shoes at the door?

That was my first thought, but when I asked the client he said no. We can be barefoot, wear socks, or pull some sort of slip cover over our work shoes.

I don't know if they'll accept something like this or not....

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 08:47:51 PM »

OSHA will shut you down immediately if they catch you without shoes. We use blue fabric slip on covers with non-slip bottoms when needed. I think I got them on Amazon. I believe they're originally designed for OR scrubs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Sokol

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 08:57:18 PM »

OSHA will shut you down immediately if they catch you without shoes.

Yeah, I know that... We need a possible solution before bidding the job. Maybe something like this would work, but I worry about safety on ladders with this sort of cover.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016, 12:45:32 AM »

Yeah, I know that... We need a possible solution before bidding the job. Maybe something like this would work, but I worry about safety on ladders with this sort of cover.

In my other vocation we take of the home automation, IP network and security server infrastructure for a very wealthy home owner her in town.  It's a 36,000 square foot estate and we wear the cloth covers on our shoes to protect the flooring.  I have never had an issue climbing ladders with them on and I am an old fat guy.  They don't seem to slow the kids down at all.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC

• COMSYSTEC
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2016, 11:36:46 AM »

I once had a job like that also. The butler told us that we had to take our shoes off. I told him that we can't do that because of insurance requirements. He said that we will be walking on a $25,000 oriental rug. I said well then, you better cover it with the NY Times or the Wall Street Journal. We can wait.

The owner, a very nice lady, couldn't care less and was one of our best customers until she passed away a couple of years ago.

-Hal

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2016, 12:38:31 PM »

Is the request to help prevent floor damage or due to a religious precedent?

Mike Sokol

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2016, 12:43:52 PM »

Is the request to help prevent floor damage or due to a religious precedent?
It's due to religious precedent. No shoes in the prayer room. We have to rewrite the prayer room.

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2016, 12:50:07 PM »

It's due to religious precedent. No shoes in the prayer room. We have to rewrite the prayer room.

I think shoes can't touch the floor. Can the floor be covered with something (plywood, canvass ect) so shoes don't touch?

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2016, 12:58:36 PM »

Our church uses a heavy duty shrink wrap or saran wrap type plastic that comes on rolls you just roll it onto the carpet or a hard surface-it is made for protecting floors during remodels. We have animals (donkeys/mules) walking on it and it is amazing how well it protects.  The nice thing is it still gives you good footing- even for ladders. When you are done just peel it up and go.

I noticed MCM Electronics is carrying the booties as well.
Steve Swaffer

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2016, 05:53:49 PM »

Religion reasons huh....... I guess if you pray hard enough god might make that stuff fly up on the wall and attach itself all on its own????????? Bad jokes aside, if shoes are not allowed in the rooms where wok needs to be done, then I vote for just wearing socks that have the rubberized grip on the bottom. I would also make it a point to wear the wackiest wildest color scheme possible too! I'm of course kidding again.

like these:
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2016, 09:37:11 AM »

This is what we use:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CDG7EI?keywords=blue%20shoe%20covers&qid=1452782054&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

$8 for a 50-pack. They cover your boots (I wear a 14 and they still fit, but barely) and they have a non-slip bottom. If removing shoes was a requirement of the job I would turn it down. Even if you take all sorts of precautions in the beginning, cover the floor, etc., what happens when you need to return for service? Do you feel like going through all of that again, especially if you're not getting paid because it falls under your installation warranty?

Simple. Repeatable. Scalable.

David Allred

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2016, 11:22:37 AM »

So what did the original installer do to get around the requirement?  Same for the contractor that built the building and install the floor.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2016, 11:25:49 AM »

We have to rewrite the prayer room.
Before or after you rewire it?!

We have similar thin white covers to those you posted earlier.  They are made from Tyvek and are for use in our cleanroom parts of the factory.  I wouldn't want to climb a ladder with them on though.

Steve.

Jason Lavoie

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2016, 05:35:34 PM »

It's due to religious precedent. No shoes in the prayer room.

In my experience it was more of a cleanliness issue, and they were ok with me laying down new clean tarps
although it depends on how much of the room you need to cover, and how many times you'll be back, and whether they're still using the room 5x a day around your work.

Jason

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2016, 05:35:34 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 22 queries.