ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Preferred brand of power amp  (Read 18567 times)

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
Re: Preferred brand of power amp
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2016, 09:08:30 AM »

This may be nonstandard, but I recommend the Nexo NX4X4.  Retails for about $10K and you get four channels of true 1900W into 8ohms, no cheating on the specs.  Designed in conjunction with Yamaha, and also with the impeccable service backing of Yamaha, even if one is not using the Nexo processing, this is truly a competitive option.  And if you like, they make a smaller version, four channels at half the power for half the price, the NX4X1. Check it out!
The NX4X4 amp is a fine amp, but unless you're a Nexo shop, I don't know why you'd pick that.  It has no Ethernet control, and there are cheaper options that are just as good.  What you're paying for with the NX-series amps are the Nexo processing settings - worth absolutely zero without the Nexo boxes. 

BTW, if you're paying anywhere close to $10K, you're paying WAY too much.

I agree with others - the OP shouldn't sweat it too much; as no one has done an FIR tuning for boxes that old, almost any amp+DSP combination with the appropriate power capability is fine.

Mike Diack

• Auckland, New Zealand.
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2016, 03:30:01 PM »

........ but the irreversible trend is towards self-powered and packaged systems. A good and natural trend.

There may be a long tail, but the clock is ticking on amps as stand-alone items.
If this is the case then they are going to have to get a whole lot more reliable than they are at present.
Each week brings me a new pile of broken self powered speakers -  PRX, EON, K series etc etc.
All well and good in the warranty period while the manufacturers are dishing out boards or buckets
but what happens after that ???. These things all seem to suffer from the same
"Trying to get a quart out of a pint pot" syndrome.
M

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2016, 04:03:41 PM »

These things all seem to suffer from the same "Trying to get a quart out of a pint pot" syndrome.

As do some other types of amplifier.

I have just repaired a couple of MarkBass mini combo amps which whilst being quite rugged in design, have (in my opinion) a serious design flaw and are crammed into a too small enclosure. 

Basically a rectified mains switch mode power supply with an analogue 500w amplifier.  All the semiconductors are specified well above what they need to be but there is no current limit on the power supply and no fuses on the power supply rails.  So when a pair of output transistors fail putting a short across the positive and negative, the power supply responds the only way it knows how by trying to supply as much current as it can... until the switching transistors and/or rectifier diodes upgrade themselves from semi to full conductors and eventually the mains fuse blows.

I suspect a lot of powered speaker amp modules suffer from the same problems.

Steve.

Marjan Milosevic

• MM-acoustics
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2016, 05:56:25 PM »

Not power amp related but...
We owned 24 of those jbl boxes many moons ago. Sold long time ago. i still think that they sounded way better then most of the modern stuff i see these days.
If the look and form (and weight) is something the OP can live with, those tops can be seriousley upgraded and beat most of todays stuff.
Take out the 2447 and sell them on ebay. They are keeping their value like nothing else because audiofools love them.
Put the BMS 4595 on them and biamp them using the factory crossover that can come with those.
You would not believe the sound your rig will be producing.

I might be way out of line here but that is what i think.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2016, 09:47:52 PM »

I have used the boxes in question and I can't say I was ever happy with them. Made to sound good is one thing, but I would not say they sound better than anything made today. Your also talking about " upgrading " , which means spending even more money on something that people are not going to ask for by name. They are VERY HEAVY and lets face it, look pretty ugly. The grill and the carpet on even the best of examples today are not corporate or wedding friendly. A festival gig is well suited for them though.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Adam Dumbacher

• Bluewood Productions
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2016, 10:06:17 PM »

I 100% appreciate everyone's comments on the speakers I own. Helps a lot.

eytan gidron

« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2016, 03:10:01 AM »

If someone was going to spend 10K and isn't looking for a matched system, the Powersoft X8 is far and above the best value on the market. Just over $1000 per channel for real power, processing, flexibility, and control.

And they have presets for many loudspeaker brands - EAW, Martin, JBL, Adamson, Nexo, L-Acoustics, Outline and many more ....

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2016, 07:17:52 AM »

Each week brings me a new pile of broken self powered speakers -  PRX, EON, K series etc etc.

Not really the pro sound end of the market..

CurtisFlatt

« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2016, 10:00:42 AM »

Cyberlogic.

I am soooo not going to comment on that. When you have written protocols on the racks to avoid the flames...that should say enough.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2016, 10:19:14 AM »

I am soooo not going to comment on that. When you have written protocols on the racks to avoid the flames...that should say enough.

Those were the days Curtis. That and KF900s. Gary's legacy.

Mac

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2016, 10:19:14 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 25 queries.