ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Preferred brand of power amp  (Read 18551 times)

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: Preferred brand of power amp
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2016, 10:31:58 AM »

If this is the case then they are going to have to get a whole lot more reliable than they are at present.
Each week brings me a new pile of broken self powered speakers -  PRX, EON, K series etc etc.
All well and good in the warranty period while the manufacturers are dishing out boards or buckets
but what happens after that ???. These things all seem to suffer from the same
"Trying to get a quart out of a pint pot" syndrome.
M
Consumers haven't quite re-calibrated their price expectations for the fact that they are getting speaker and amp(s) for the single price of a powered speaker. Because of this higher price point for powered speakers than unpowered cabinets, especially at entry level, they have to be very sharp pencil (cheap) engineered.

I remain a strong advocate for powered speakers but cheap crap will always be cheap crap. Consumers don't appreciate reliability at point of sale. You can't even talk about failure rates before the sale without chasing away buyers. (Just like wedding vows don't discuss changing dirty diapers). 

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

claude cascioli

« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2016, 08:42:52 AM »

What is everyone's preferred brand of power amps? I'm looking at upgrading from Crown XTi and I'm curious to know if Crown iTechs, Powersoft K series, or something from Lab would be the way to go. I know it's not enough information to recommend a specific amp. I have checks specs and know which from each brand would be suitable
i have found qscs to be the best. there very reliable and qsc has fantastic customer service, crown is not the company they used to be after there were taken over by Harmon their quality sucks and and in all honesty crown could give two shits about you after your amp is out of warranty.as far as lab gruppen
they now owned by berrenger nuff said

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2016, 09:17:40 AM »

Claude,

This isn't the first (nor second, or even third) time you've bashed Harman. And every time, it's always this same type of broad stroke claim.

May I respectfully ask what specific situation/problem/experience have you encountered with poor quality of product or poor support with Crown or any of the other Harman brands?

Thanks,

Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2016, 09:30:05 AM »

...crown is not the company they used to be after there were taken over by Harmon their quality sucks and and in all honesty crown could give two shits about you after your amp is out of warranty...
Claude, I respectfully disagree with your assessment of Crown.  I have had nothing but good experiences with Crown and their service.  We own XTi, Macro Tech, Macro Tech I Series and I-Techs, 32 in total.  If I have a question I simply call or email Crown's Support staff.  If I email, they always get back to me within a couple of hours and if I call I always get through to someone in a reasonable time. 

I did have one I-Tech fail after it was out of warrenty and I decided to drive it to the factory for one day service.  It was a Tuesday and I needed the amp for a show on Friday.  Crown was not able to find the problem and repair my amp, an I-Tech 8000.  They couldn't recreate the problem.  They sent me home with a loaner and said they would ship mine back to me in the next couple of days.  I got a call from Crown Service the next morning, Wednesday, saying they were overnighting me a factory refurbished I-Tech 8000 with a 3 year warranty.  They also paid the shipping back to them for the loaner I-Tech 8000.

As I said, this is just my experience, but we only use Crown amps.

Bill  ;)
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

Joseph D. Macry

• Austin TX
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2016, 10:51:49 AM »

i have found qscs to be the best. there very reliable and qsc has fantastic customer service, crown is not the company they used to be after there were taken over by Harmon their quality sucks and and in all honesty crown could give two shits about you after your amp is out of warranty.as far as lab gruppen
they now owned by berrenger nuff said

As an installer, I have seen far more QSCs fail than Crowns.
Joseph Macry,
Austin, TX

paul bell

« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2016, 09:15:04 PM »

As an installer in the very competitive NYC market, I find wide use for the Ashly KLR line of amplifiers. A very well designed and made import, I've only had one fail of the many I've sold and installed.

My rental stock has old school QSC Powerlight 9.0 & 3.8x to the new four channel QSC offering-which I find to be an awesome amplifier.

For big bass, SpeakerPower can't be beat.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2016, 09:27:37 PM »

Claude, I respectfully disagree with your assessment of Crown.  I have had nothing but good experiences with Crown and their service.  We own XTi, Macro Tech, Macro Tech I Series and I-Techs, 32 in total.  If I have a question I simply call or email Crown's Support staff.  If I email, they always get back to me within a couple of hours and if I call I always get through to someone in a reasonable time. 

I did have one I-Tech fail after it was out of warrenty and I decided to drive it to the factory for one day service.  It was a Tuesday and I needed the amp for a show on Friday.  Crown was not able to find the problem and repair my amp, an I-Tech 8000.  They couldn't recreate the problem.  They sent me home with a loaner and said they would ship mine back to me in the next couple of days.  I got a call from Crown Service the next morning, Wednesday, saying they were overnighting me a factory refurbished I-Tech 8000 with a 3 year warranty.  They also paid the shipping back to them for the loaner I-Tech 8000.

As I said, this is just my experience, but we only use Crown amps.

Bill  ;)

I go along with this. Although all of my amps are QSC, Crown sat in my racks for many years. I don't remember the time when I've had a QSC or Crown amp fail, or if one did fail I don't remember ever having been given poor service by either company.

Lab is Behringer? Well maybe MG owns the brand but unlike other products now owned by Uli, the Koolaid hasn't seeped down that far just yet. Broad strokes make good jokes.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

eric lenasbunt

• Bunt Backline Event Services, LLC
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2016, 10:57:43 PM »

As an installer in the very competitive NYC market, I find wide use for the Ashly KLR line of amplifiers. A very well designed and made import, I've only had one fail of the many I've sold and installed.

My rental stock has old school QSC Powerlight 9.0 & 3.8x to the new four channel QSC offering-which I find to be an awesome amplifier.

For big bass, SpeakerPower can't be beat.

+1 on the KLR. We also install a lot of them with great success. We built a quad amp festival rack with them as well and they perform great and weigh little.

T-Pain's engineer did kill one driving lows, but...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2016, 10:57:43 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 24 queries.