ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Preferred brand of power amp  (Read 18702 times)

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
Re: Preferred brand of power amp
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2016, 10:40:46 PM »

With the antiquity of your main speakers, <snip> A speaker that is a turd pile will still be a turd pile
Ouch tough room! 
I hate to see what you guys think of my ancient 4853's if a 4731 is a turd!

(and no, I don't use Cyberlogics, but there's a couple PSA-2's still being deployed)
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2016, 03:11:03 AM »

Ouch tough room! 
I hate to see what you guys think of my ancient 4853's if a 4731 is a turd!

(and no, I don't use Cyberlogics, but there's a couple PSA-2's still being deployed)

I don't think either are turds, and I have fond memories (for the era) of the 4850 series.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Devin Sheets

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2016, 06:45:39 AM »

This may be nonstandard, but I recommend the Nexo NX4X4.  Retails for about $10K and you get four channels of true 1900W into 8ohms, no cheating on the specs.  Designed in conjunction with Yamaha, and also with the impeccable service backing of Yamaha, even if one is not using the Nexo processing, this is truly a competitive option.  And if you like, they make a smaller version, four channels at half the power for half the price, the NX4X1. Check it out!

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2016, 08:00:57 AM »

QSC has been my brand of choice for all type amplifiers
I am also a QSC user although my small system only uses two of them.

A friend who I sometimes work for has three amp racks full of QSC amps.  I know they're not the highest specification amps available but I have never had or known of any problems with my or his amplifiers.

Steve.

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2016, 08:55:19 AM »

I am also a QSC user although my small system only uses two of them.

friend who I sometimes work for has three amp racks full of QSC amps.  I know they're not the highest specification amps available but I have never had or known of any problems with my or his amplifiers.

Steve.

Yamaha P2200. Ramsa WP9440.

Two years ago a friend gave me a @ 1977 QSC Model 1200 that works flawlessly.

Good Lord, I've also used Phase Linear and Biamp TC's that (surprise!) went tits-up at an early age.

Many service techs have made their livings repairing Crown, but that may be coincidence or end-user fault.

Currently (credit Foghorn Leghorn - "That's a joke, son.") , Labbie is my choice for overall value, but the irreversible trend is towards self-powered and packaged systems. A good and natural trend.

There may be a long tail, but the clock is ticking on amps as stand-alone items.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 09:32:08 AM by Jim McKeveny »

Brandon Wright

« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2016, 09:53:08 AM »

This may be nonstandard, but I recommend the Nexo NX4X4.  Retails for about $10K, .... this is truly a competitive option. Check it out!

If someone was going to spend 10K and isn't looking for a matched system, the Powersoft X8 is far and above the best value on the market. Just over $1000 per channel for real power, processing, flexibility, and control.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2016, 10:04:07 AM »

Two years ago a friend gave me a @ 1977 QSC Model 1200 that works flawlessly.
I only have four power amplifiers, all were given to me by a friend.  A CS800, a CS1000 and two QSC RMX2450s.

I say given... I put up a TV aerial for him in exchange for the QSC amps.  I tried to offer him money but he wouldn't take it.  I know I got the better deal in that trade!
I think I moved a central heating radiator for the CS800.

Steve.

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2016, 10:11:51 AM »

I think I moved a central heating radiator for the CS800.

Steve.

And they both probably weighed about the same!

Problem is, the CS800 doesn't put out any heat. No matter how hard I drove mine it was always cool to the touch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David Scoville

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2016, 07:37:19 AM »

What is everyone's preferred brand of power amps? I'm looking at upgrading from Crown XTi and I'm curious to know if Crown iTechs, Powersoft K series, or something from Lab would be the way to go. I know it's not enough information to recommend a specific amp. I have checks specs and know which from each brand would be suitable
   I still run mostly the same Crown macrotech amps I bought 18 years ago,
yeah they are super heavy and yeah they require "real" pro style distro (no extention cords or 15 amp changover plugs etc.) but they can run nearly any configuration possible. Old iron that is hard to kill, and if they all died tomorrow they surely have paid for themselves 30-40 times. So yeah I'm a fan.
    Of course just like all these pro guys will report one cannot begin to suggest what works best for your unknown systems requirements. Soon I imagine I'll be finally updating, when I do I will spec out the v rack systems along with powersoft and lab amps. Weight, size etc. are huge deals, but the known might of these old amps and 4719s will be hard to beat.
   One more thought, the money spent on new amps means ziltch soon if proper transport, cleaning and servicing protocols are not maintained. Real anti-shock racks! Big amps means big fans that not only flow cooling air thru but tend to vaccum up smoke, dust dirt and maybe a butterfly or hummingbird or two thru your racks, I have seen amps burst into flames from the garbage left to gather up inside.

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2016, 08:25:44 AM »

Real anti-shock racks!

Unless we are talking about old McIntosh tube amps, foam-lined or spring-loaded "shock" racks are of questionable value.

Self-powered speakers with surface mount devices get loaded onto metal carts and semi-trucked everyday without incident.

Capital is better spent elsewhere.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2016, 08:25:44 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 24 queries.