ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL SR 4719X VS. EV X- 2181A  (Read 3541 times)

MIKE Lynn

• Lynn Sound Systems
JBL SR 4719X VS. EV X- 2181A
« on: January 22, 2016, 04:22:44 PM »

Im Looking at both the above subs to purchase. But will only buy one of the 2 pairs - heres the Deal The jbls i can grab for $1250. No covers or dollies - the EVs $1800. with covers and dollies. Both Are dual 18 - the JBL front loaded Vs. the EV manifold loaded. The EV is a touring box the JBL a prosumer box. I can usually figure this out on my own just would like to hear some others thoughts that have worked with these before. Please dont tell me about all the other subs in the world that i could use I do tons of market research on subs sure i would like to own a pair of danley Rock monsters or mccauly M-421's but the budget aint there. These 2 sets are within budget and with in my local driving area. I will use these for smaller DJ rigs when i dont want (or need to bring) 4 or more subs. (I have 14 Vega EL36B's) All my Mid High Boxes are JBL Vrx or MRX. I would rather bring in 2 dual driver boxes to these size gigs than 4 single driver boxes this save 2 trips to the trailer and takes up less floor space. 
Lynn Sound Systems INC.
Crown-I-tech , JBL-VRX/VTX , Soundcraft, Shure

boburtz

• SR Forums
  • San Francisco Bay Area
    • SoundWizard Productions
Re: JBL SR 4719X VS. EV X- 2181A
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 05:16:26 PM »

I can usually figure this out on my own just would like to hear some others thoughts that have worked with these before.
The JBLs work well, and that's a good price if they're in decent shape and have the original drivers. The EV's are not that great in modern sub terms. If you're doing anything with any powerful LOW frequency stuff, steer clear. They don't go all that low. I've used them with BSS processing (EV supplied tunings) and QSC PL6 power and they were just plain lacking compared to the QRX218s, which are more on par with the 4719, and that was with a rock band. I imagine they would have given me an even worse impression if we used them for a DJ.
$1800 is WAY too much for the EVs. I couldn't get $800 for a pair that I had.

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 10:04:11 AM »

Both models are aged by modern standards, but even without the price advantage the JBL is the better speaker.

Jeff Hague

• Richmond Pro Audio
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 01:52:24 PM »

Im Looking at both the above subs to purchase. But will only buy one of the 2 pairs - heres the Deal The jbls i can grab for $1250. No covers or dollies - the EVs $1800. with covers and dollies. Both Are dual 18 - the JBL front loaded Vs. the EV manifold loaded. The EV is a touring box the JBL a prosumer box. I can usually figure this out on my own just would like to hear some others thoughts that have worked with these before. Please dont tell me about all the other subs in the world that i could use I do tons of market research on subs sure i would like to own a pair of danley Rock monsters or mccauly M-421's but the budget aint there. These 2 sets are within budget and with in my local driving area. I will use these for smaller DJ rigs when i dont want (or need to bring) 4 or more subs. (I have 14 Vega EL36B's) All my Mid High Boxes are JBL Vrx or MRX. I would rather bring in 2 dual driver boxes to these size gigs than 4 single driver boxes this save 2 trips to the trailer and takes up less floor space.

I have to agree that JBLs are the better sub. Ive used the EVs but have owned 4 of the 4719s. They are powerful, tight and have a usable f3 for what you are trying to do. (Nothing compared to the M421s though...)
They are prosumer grade but I know of 1 bigger company in town with a Vertec rig that uses 4719s for subs.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 03:10:58 PM »

The JBL's are a better sub with a huge advantage. The drivers in that sub are the venerable 2241. These are good drivers and should be in good shape if they haven't been mistreated. The advantage will be the ability to directly replace these drivers with either the 2242, or 2268 if you choose to do so, or need to dos so (in pairs). Both are current and both will do the job without any problems at all.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

David Scoville

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2016, 08:47:12 PM »

[/quote]
   I have been using the 4719 subs, in various quantities and amp configurations for a very long time. Durable, great driver (2241) and great sounding. Yes of course there is bigger, better, etc. But for the money (your price is a good deal) you wont go wrong. They show up for sale often, so adding another pair as needed will be an open and affordable option. Yeah they are big and heavy, blah blah, throw 2400 to 3000 rms at them and smile, all night every night, lol. Good luck!

Jim King

• SSR Sound
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2016, 01:00:25 PM »

Agree with everyone else here. I just sold my 4719 boxes, but only because I wanted powered so I could get rid of amps. And even then, only because the came out with the srx828p, which is roughly the same (without the ability to overdrive the power -- so I get slightly less volume out of the new ones).
Jim King
SSR Sound, Los Angeles CA
http://ssrrentals.com

MIKE Lynn

• Lynn Sound Systems
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2016, 09:23:28 AM »

Ok Good Info , sounds like the General consensus would be to go JBL in this case.
   Thanks For the Info.
Lynn Sound Systems INC.

MIKE Lynn

• Lynn Sound Systems
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2016, 11:41:57 AM »

Eneded up Grabbing 2 pairs of the SRx 4719's this past weekend , @ $1250. Per Pair. I hooked them up for a quick test run at the house using 2 I-Tech 6K's and they had plenty of Kick for my intedend use for them. For the money spent I feel like it was a good deal.
Lynn Sound Systems INC.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2016, 12:32:44 AM »

Good choice. I agree with the consensus on the board, the JBLs will get you far more for your money than the EVs would.  I still have a pair of the 4718's, which are the single driver version, and they pound just as well as my SRX 718's with less power.  Can't go wrong.
Brian Jojade

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2016, 12:32:44 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.