ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Preferred brand of power amp  (Read 18557 times)

Adam Dumbacher

• Bluewood Productions
Preferred brand of power amp
« on: January 12, 2016, 12:02:11 PM »

What is everyone's preferred brand of power amps? I'm looking at upgrading from Crown XTi and I'm curious to know if Crown iTechs, Powersoft K series, or something from Lab would be the way to go. I know it's not enough information to recommend a specific amp. I have checks specs and know which from each brand would be suitable

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Preferred brand of power amp
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 01:06:41 PM »

What is everyone's preferred brand of power amps? I'm looking at upgrading from Crown XTi and I'm curious to know if Crown iTechs, Powersoft K series, or something from Lab would be the way to go. I know it's not enough information to recommend a specific amp. I have checks specs and know which from each brand would be suitable
There are many things to consider when choosing a "brand"

Among them include things like power-features-serviceability-durability history and so forth.

There are a lot of good power amps out there these days.

Just be sure "why" you are choosing one over another and not just going with "popular opinion".
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 01:45:27 PM »

Those are all very good amps. Unless you give specifics on your application, budget, power needs (wattage), power availability (AC current), weight requirements, DSP requirement, channel count, rack space available, etc. we can't really offer any useful suggestions.

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 01:52:11 PM »

I went from a boatload of Xti amps to Itechs and am very happy (but I don't have enough experience with others to offer comparison). I also have four Powersoft M50Q amps that are really impressive: 4ch, 1 RU, 1250w/ch@4ohms

My opinion is that Crown, Powersoft, QSC, Lab are all great -- depends on your application and what your own prejudices are given your own experiences.

Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

Adam Dumbacher

• Bluewood Productions
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 02:26:16 PM »

I guess really what I was trying to get was what everyone else was using and why.  My rig is currently portable. It has 4 JBL SR4731X tops and 6 JBL SP128 subs.  I'm looking to biamp the tops.  The horns need 150 to 300 watts at 16 ohms.  Everything else will need at least 2000 watts at 4 ohms.  I'm trying to decide on feature sets, control, sound quality, noise floor, connection options, weight, and any other information that current users of these amps could mention and what they like and don't like about them.

Mike Kahrs

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 03:03:48 PM »

Keep your XTi, and buy some larger amps for subs and such.  XTi 6002 is a great value on a beefy amp with acceptable DSP, if you don't need digital input.  I use USB to Ethernet adapters to 200' Cat6 and monitor the amps at FOH via Crown's Band Manager.  Use a good USB wireless print server and tune your rig with a tablet PC.

Mike
Why know when you can guess...

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 05:24:26 PM »

What is everyone's preferred brand of power amps?
30 years ago we were a Crown amp shop and today we are still a Crown amp shop.  We have a few MA series and the rest are Itech and MacroTech I series.  We do still have two XTi amps for backup.

Bill
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 05:51:05 PM »

QSC has been my brand of choice for all type amplifiers, intelligent or not for many, many years. Choose your amplifiers for the job to be done, not because someone else likes a particular brand
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2016, 07:40:32 PM »

Cyberlogic.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2016, 08:53:09 PM »

Cyberlogic.

Haven't thought of them in years.  Did I take a nap and miss something again?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2016, 08:53:09 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 23 queries.