ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL PRX or SRX  (Read 38634 times)

veditor78

JBL PRX or SRX
« on: January 11, 2016, 08:00:53 PM »

I'm close to pulling the trigger on new speakers. I've narrowed it down to JBL PRX or SRX.

Where I'm located it is difficult to get a live A/B comparison so I'm hoping some here have heard both and can give me some opinions. What I'm looking for is advice on the sound quality of the SRX over the PRX. Is it worth the price difference for wedding DJ use?

Thanks in advance for advice!

A few notes:

• I primarily do weddings from 150-350 people. I also do school dances on occasion.
  • I already have a DR PA2 for DSP, so I don't necessarily need the DSP of the SRX line.
  • If I go with the SRX line I'm spit on the 818 or the 828. The weight and size is an issue on the 828 however the 818 offer more flexibility but at higher cost. Using two 818 coupled should be close to the same real-world performance of a dual.

System A: ~$9,000

2 - SRX812P
4 - SRX818SP

System B: ~$6,600
2 - SRX812P
2 - SRX828SP

System C: ~$7,300

2 - PRX712
4 - PRX718XLF
Josh Rawls

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
Re: JBL PRX or SRX
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 08:03:55 PM »

There is a big difference between the PRX and SRX.

You should closely read the spec sheets. In particular compare the components of each

veditor78

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 09:45:41 PM »

I have been pouring over spec sheets for weeks now. I'll admit I know enough to be dangerous, which is why I am asking for advice.

I see both series use different drivers but the spec sheets for the PRX line don't give VC size for the drivers so it's tough to compare that. I searched the web for more info without much luck.

The specs I fully understand (Max SPL and freq. response -3, crossover point) aren't that different between the tops. I see the SRX goes higher and lower. The higher is just at the limit of most people's hearing. The lower would be covered by a sub. The only time the tops would be used without a sub is a ceremony. I'm not too concerned about really low frequencies there.

The main tuning frequency response chart for the SRX is obviously better compared to the normal chart for the PRX. I just don't know it is enough better for my purposes compared to the cost.

I definitely see a big difference in the subs. There isn't a big price difference there so I guess one question is could I do SRX subs with the PRX tops without a bunch of EQ to make them work well together?

One difference I do see in the balanced input impedance. PRX is 20k and SRX is 40k. I understand that higher is better as it won't affect the output voltage of the source as much, is that correct?

Obviously the DSP is much better on the SRX line, but would the DR PA2 with the PRX be just as good for DJ use?

I'll keep looking for a dealer here that can get me a A/B comparison.
Josh Rawls

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 10:10:17 PM »

It's truly a night and day difference. If you can afford the SRX I wouldn't even look twice at the PRX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dennis Wiggins

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 07:38:36 AM »

I'm close to pulling the trigger on new speakers. I've narrowed it down to JBL PRX or SRX.

Where I'm located it is difficult to get a live A/B comparison so I'm hoping some here have heard both and can give me some opinions. What I'm looking for is advice on the sound quality of the SRX over the PRX. Is it worth the price difference for wedding DJ use?

Thanks in advance for advice!

A few notes:

• I primarily do weddings from 150-350 people. I also do school dances on occasion.
  • I already have a DR PA2 for DSP, so I don't necessarily need the DSP of the SRX line.
  • If I go with the SRX line I'm spit on the 818 or the 828. The weight and size is an issue on the 828 however the 818 offer more flexibility but at higher cost. Using two 818 coupled should be close to the same real-world performance of a dual.

System A: ~$9,000

2 - SRX812P
4 - SRX818SP

System B: ~$6,600
2 - SRX812P
2 - SRX828SP

System C: ~$7,300

2 - PRX712
4 - PRX718XLF

I would go with system A, but with just 2 818 subs initially. Add 2 poles to get the tops up high. You will be very surprised at the performance. 

You could always add 2 more subs at a later time if you still feel the need.

-Dennis

veditor78

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 08:46:33 AM »

I would go with system A, but with just 2 818 subs initially. Add 2 poles to get the tops up high. You will be very surprised at the performance. 

You could always add 2 more subs at a later time if you still feel the need.

-Dennis

I was planning on putting the tops on tripods or one on a tripod and one on a pole and coupling the subs when I used more than one. Although having a power alley on the dance floor wouldn't always be bad.
Josh Rawls

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 09:07:10 AM »

I was planning on putting the tops on tripods or one on a tripod and one on a pole and coupling the subs when I used more than one. Although having a power alley on the dance floor wouldn't always be bad.

In that case I would definitely go with the 828 if you can handle moving them. You can add wheels and it turns into a difficult-but-manageable one-man job. The cost of two 818's just doesn't make sense if you can handle the 828's.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 09:24:04 PM »

SRX or bust
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Lyle Williams

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2016, 12:06:48 AM »

SRX or bust

Yes.  Buying system c for more money than system b would be a unique form of lunacy.

veditor78

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2016, 08:15:15 AM »

Yes.  Buying system c for more money than system b would be a unique form of lunacy.

The only reason I was even considering it was to get 4 single 18's at a lower price.

After taking a second look at the spec sheets, and reading the advice here and other forums, for the subs I've definitely decided on the SRX rig.

For now I'm going to get:

2 - SRX812P
2 - SRX818SP

The reason for the singles is portability and flexibility. Also, I'm afraid brides might freak out at seeing a double 18. I should get the approximately same SPL out of two 818's coupled together as I would out of the 828.
Josh Rawls

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2016, 08:15:15 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.