ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Higher dampening factor for folded horn subs?  (Read 10537 times)

Riley Casey

Re: Higher dampening factor for folded horn subs?
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2016, 02:23:54 pm »

A high damping factor can be a very valuable attribute of a power amp trying to control large mass cone speakers at large excursions.  The moment you connect a   subwoofer loaded with three paralleled 18s to a power amp 100 ft away with a single pair of 12 gauge wires with NL2 connectors it stops being a topic for discussion.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2016, 08:27:56 pm »

JR is absolutely right. If I had two amps with identical specs, and the only one that was different was the DF, I would go with the one that has the highest.

Lets not negate that it is better to have more of it. The question is the application your employed for and is it practical? If I have no choice but to run cable 100', then it won't matter what the DF is. If I can keep the amps sitting right next to the speakers, I have opportunity to tune the car for better performance. While I won't say that a DF of 200 at the speaker is 2X better than 100, if it follows most things in audio it will take a doubling if not 10 fold the amount to get a usable and distinct difference. The current standard that anything better than a DF of 20 supports that notion I think? I would imagine that you would need a DF of at least 40 - 60 to notice a measurable difference? I just shoot to keep it above 20 no matter what unless it's just not possible.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2016, 10:43:06 pm »

JR is absolutely right. If I had two amps with identical specs, and the only one that was different was the DF, I would go with the one that has the highest.

Assuming all the other specs were equal and measured under the same conditions (today often they are NOT)

To be honest-I have not looked at the damping factor in a couple of decades. 

In my opinion there are more important things to consider.

As JR says-any decent quality amp will have a "good enough" damping factor.

Here is my opinion of where the "Fascination for damping factor" came about.

Years ago, the amps with the best damping factor were also the highest quality-with stiffer power supplies.

So people associated this "tighter sound" to the damping factor.

Yes it made sense-until you started doing the math of the ACTUAL damping of everything hooked to the amp.

Once you do that-it is pretty much a non issue.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2016, 10:14:49 am »

Lets not negate that it is better to have more of it. The question is the application your employed for and is it practical? If I have no choice but to run cable 100', then it won't matter what the DF is. If I can keep the amps sitting right next to the speakers, I have opportunity to tune the car for better performance. While I won't say that a DF of 200 at the speaker is 2X better than 100, if it follows most things in audio it will take a doubling if not 10 fold the amount to get a usable and distinct difference. The current standard that anything better than a DF of 20 supports that notion I think? I would imagine that you would need a DF of at least 40 - 60 to notice a measurable difference? I just shoot to keep it above 20 no matter what unless it's just not possible.
I shouldn't argue when people say I'm right, but i can quibble.

The audibility of DF is kind of like distortion. If 0.01% THD is inaudible, making it 0.001% or 0.00001% will not make an audible improvement while it may influence sales. DF is similar, so don't expect to hear an audible difference past 20x or so even with very short wires. I recall one listening test decades ago where we targeted DF and it was extremely subtle, not a major audible effect and somewhat dependent on the cabinet (impedance vs frequency).

Note: Peavey designed guitar amps with variable DF to A) mimic old tube guitar amps high output Z, and B) because they could. In the case of guitar amps it increased speaker/cabinet resonance interactions.   

I need to repeat my preference for powered cabinets, precisely because they don't specify DF.  8)

JR
When in doubt do what's right.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2016, 10:28:19 am »

Assuming all the other specs were equal and measured under the same conditions (today often they are NOT)

To be honest-I have not looked at the damping factor in a couple of decades. 

In my opinion there are more important things to consider.

As JR says-any decent quality amp will have a "good enough" damping factor.

Here is my opinion of where the "Fascination for damping factor" came about.

Years ago, the amps with the best damping factor were also the highest quality-with stiffer power supplies.

So people associated this "tighter sound" to the damping factor.
I was working in those trenches trying to market power amps and while I won't name names there was one company guilty of promoting DF as more significant that it really is, in advertising. Consumers love simple answers to complex problems so rewarded that company with market share. I don't know whether the chicken or the egg came first. I suspect some amp engineer decided to see how good he could make DF in his latest amp (something design engineers do to amuse themselves) and then some marketing type discovered that number was better than others. So he could use it to differentiate his amp from the competition on paper (the best way). The market embraced the concept and he told engineering to keep up the DF arms race.   
Yes it made sense-until you started doing the math of the ACTUAL damping of everything hooked to the amp.

Once you do that-it is pretty much a non issue.
Consumers don't do math....but love having some spec or feature they can brag about to each other. The Peavey customers were remarkably sensible (or completely ignorant) about this, so we got off the carousel after one model.

JR
When in doubt do what's right.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2016, 12:52:49 pm »

Consumers don't do math....but love having some spec or feature they can brag about to each other.
This statement goes WAAYYY  WAY further than the damping factor discussion.

And I would add that no only do they no do the math-they don't understand what they are talking about-much less actually check to see if what they are being told is the truth. 

The "simple numbers" are for simple minds.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2016, 06:19:55 pm »

This statement goes WAAYYY  WAY further than the damping factor discussion.

And I would add that no only do they no do the math-they don't understand what they are talking about-much less actually check to see if what they are being told is the truth. 

The "simple numbers" are for simple minds.

I'll see your Damping Factor and raise you a Slew Rate.
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2016, 08:04:27 pm »

I'll see your Damping Factor and raise you a Slew Rate.
And I call with distortion :)

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2016, 09:52:37 pm »

total harmonic destruction......
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

David Morison

• SR Forums
  • Aberdeen, Scotland
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2016, 08:19:00 am »

Consumers don't do math....but love having some spec or feature they can brag about to each other. The Peavey customers were remarkably sensible (or completely ignorant) about this, so we got off the carousel after one model.

JR

And the fun part is trying to tell which...  ;)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2016, 08:19:00 am »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 22 queries.