ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: July 5th 1968 Doors concert on vh1 classic  (Read 13120 times)

Stephen Kirby

Re: July 5th 1968 Doors concert on vh1 classic
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2016, 01:56:00 PM »

The Acoustic 360s were powered cabs so that probably made life easier to pile them up.  200W amp in a CV W bin similar to the unpowered ones lots of system operators used.  Sunn made a dual 15 cab called the Orion that had a 175W amp in the bottom but it never caught on.  Although it did make piling them up easier.  There was a band called Lucifer that used 16 of them.  The 360s lasted longer but eventually Acoustic took the amp out of the cab and went to conventional powered amp heads.

There was another series of cabs that Acoustic made with oval car radio speakers in them.  Some tall columns and some larger cabs the same size as a regular 2-15 but with eight 6x9s and a large flared horn.  The horn was made of thin plastic but these things actually worked pretty well in the vocal range.  A friend in high school made copies with thin plywood for the flares that sounded even better.  I imagine the coupling of the horizontal 6x9s was better than most boxes of the day, especially playing into the horn flare.  The ones I heard worked much better for vocals than the 2-15 + re-entrant horn boxes.  And far better than Vocal Masters.  Seemed never to catch on though.

TrevorMilburn

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2016, 07:34:06 AM »

Doors July 5th 1968.
 What are the cabinets lined up across the stage
 does anyone know ?
I also thought it was interesting he was face hugging an SM 57
In an interview I read with Bill Siddons, Roadie then Manager of the Doors, he states that at the Hollywood Bowl Concert in 1968, there were 54 amps (presumably referring to the Acoustic stacks) on stage and a 5000 Watt P.A. system was used. The stacks were run at '2 1/2 out of 10' on the volume scale (no Spinal Tap 11s here). There was also talk of their Monolith System, which I believe to be their normal P.A.system, which consisted of 2 2x12+horn and 2 2x15+horn cabs per side. The use of such a large stage set-up was unusually large even by today's standards, but in those days good, large PA systems were not common and consequenly the backline would probably not have been fed into the PA system, which no doubt carried only vocals and drums. Hendrix was often pictured with 3 or sometimes more Marshall 100w stacks on stage, Jeff Beck in the early seventies would have a huge guitar rig behind him, similarly Richie Blackmore.
Here are some pics of the Doors stage set-up at the Hollywood Bowl:

« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 07:40:22 AM by TrevorMilburn »

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2016, 02:05:11 PM »

I see a couple of 360s around the drum riser which would have carried Manzarak's Rhodes key bass.  Three 261 heads on his side and one on Krieger's side.  Those amps wouldn't handle low loads so it's highly unlikely more than two cabs where hooked to each head.  The 360 was a powered bottom so those could be stacked up.  Ray probably had more as he needed a clean sound for the keyboard.  Robbie could get away with pushing his although I remember those things sounding pretty ugly.  The built in fuzz was especially nasty.  Similar to the Rickenbacker amps but made worse by the horn.  That many 261s would have swamped a 5k PA, even if they were all on "3".  More likely it was for looks since big backlines were common by then.  Even the rows of Marshalls people used weren't all plugged in or turned on.  2 stacks could carry an arena and overwhelm an early '70s PA.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2016, 03:08:21 PM »

Were all those cabs on stage just for instruments or for vocals too?  There are a lot of them in comparison to the number of amps on show.

Steve.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2016, 07:02:46 PM »

Here are some photos from an Acoustic 1972 catalog.

The cabinets in question in the concert are not part of the PA section-but rather in the guitar amp section.

The descriptions says 2 15" Altec speaker & horn.

The PA speakers (line array) contain 6 6x9" speakers each.

The amps are 200 watts each.

As pictured the price is 12,655.00 back in '72
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2016, 01:39:21 AM »

Ah, those are the PA speakers I was trying to find a picture of.  They actually sounded pretty good compared to various columns of the time like VocalMasters, Vox and Marshall columns.  The ones my friend built with plywood flares sounded even better.  The plastic flares were pretty flimsy.

But those amps are newer models with graphic eqs on them and didn't have the big silver knobs with the switches off to the sides on the blue panels.  I think that bass head is powered as well, unlike the 360 shown in the Doors pics which had an amp in the bottom.  The bass player in my HS band had one of the originals.  Along with a Sunn 2000S and two extra single D140 cabs that I built him off of half of the 2000s so he could get them in the back of his Volkswagen for "small" gigs.  When he had all of them running it was pretty loud.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2016, 11:45:50 AM »

Here are some photos from an Acoustic 1972 catalog.

The cabinets in question in the concert are not part of the PA section-but rather in the guitar amp section.

The descriptions says 2 15" Altec speaker & horn.

The PA speakers (line array) contain 6 6x9" speakers each.

The amps are 200 watts each.

As pictured the price is 12,655.00 back in '72

That price was for MF VIII system that included 4 AKG mics, 8 Model 300 amps, and 16ea. 801 cabinets. More than anyone should have paid for anything Acoustic.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2016, 12:21:17 PM »

That price was for MF VIII system that included 4 AKG mics, 8 Model 300 amps, and 16ea. 801 cabinets. More than anyone should have paid for anything Acoustic.
You did get the mixer as well for that price-----------
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2016, 12:21:17 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 25 queries.