ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommend a broker?  (Read 4443 times)

Steve Payne

• Soundworks of Virginia, Inc.
Recommend a broker?
« on: January 08, 2016, 08:42:52 pm »

A friend contacted me and asked if I could help them value a considerable amount  of 10 year old A level sound gear amps, house speaker package, monitor speaker package, digital console.  I dont mind selling my own stuff, but Im not interested in getting involved selling someone elses gear, nor do I feel qualified to value their equipment on the used market.  I thought perhaps I might put them in touch with a reputable broker who could help value and sell the equipment.  Any recommendations?  Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 10:45:08 pm by Steve Payne »
Steve Payne
like us on Facebook at:
https://www.facebook.com/SOUNDWORKSOFVIRGINIA

Robert Piascik

• Hilliard, OH (near Columbus)
Re: Recommend a broker?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 10:04:39 pm »

The value? Not nearly as much as they think (my quick and snarky reply).

Put it on eBay for $0.99 per item, theoretically with enough exposure the bids will tell you what it's worth. There are companies that will handle it all for you for a percentage.

Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R / XR12
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k / Xti6k

Steve Payne

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 10:48:25 pm »

The value? Not nearly as much as they think (my quick and snarky reply).

Put it on eBay for $0.99 per item, theoretically with enough exposure the bids will tell you what it's worth. There are companies that will handle it all for you for a percentage.

>>There are companies that will handle it all for you for a percentage.<<

My specific request was for recommendations of such.  Do you have any first hand experience with any you could recommend?  Putting this stuff on E-Bay would give me no idea of the value.  Thank you.
Steve Payne
like us on Facebook at:

Riley Casey

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 11:14:56 pm »

I've been getting emails from soundbroker.com for years.  Very slick presentation, no direct experience with their performance.

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2016, 06:33:18 am »

GearSource, SolarisNetwork, SoundBroker.  I find that most of the published asking prices are very unrealistic.

If you can find some on eBay, then sort out which "sold items" actually sold, that will tell you what folks are willing to spend.

Brook Hovland

• DiA Events
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2016, 07:25:31 am »

I personaly have bought and sold on Soundbroker with no problems

Nicolas Lowman

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2016, 10:35:55 am »

There is a seller on eBay that has the id trueheartsound. I purchased quite a few things from him a number of years ago. He treated me very well and I see that he is still in business. I would contact him and see if he would be able to help you out.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2016, 11:35:02 am »

There is a seller on eBay that has the id trueheartsound. I purchased quite a few things from him a number of years ago. He treated me very well and I see that he is still in business. I would contact him and see if he would be able to help you out.

I've bought a couple of things from them, always super smooth. Their prices are all very "within the market pricing" for used gear.

There's also Frank with The Audio Auction-- not much to his website, but does plenty of eBay things. He works closely with PRG, moving their being-rotated-out gear. Half of my VerTecs came from PRG via The Audio Auction.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2016, 12:06:39 pm »

We've used Soundbroker to buy (mostly) and sell (once).  Only 1 transaction needed their intervention and they stood behind us in dealing with the seller (who'd inadequately inspected their item and didn't realize there were problems).

Richard was our contact there but I think he's moved on.

The Audio Auction liquidates mostly for PRG and Clair but I'm sure Frank will accept any client.

Haven't used Trueheart but have heard good things about them.
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2016, 01:59:45 pm »

GearSource, SolarisNetwork, SoundBroker.  I find that most of the published asking prices are very unrealistic.

If you can find some on eBay, then sort out which "sold items" actually sold, that will tell you what folks are willing to spend.

If you use gearsource make sure they pay you before you ship.  I've used them twice and had problems getting paid both times.  Once I had to mention lawyers before something happened.

Robert Piascik

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2016, 05:10:46 pm »

Do you have any first hand experience with any you could recommend?  Putting this stuff on E-Bay would give me no idea of the value.

I used AVForSale in Atlanta. You ship them your stuff (or I was able to drop it off in person) they photograph  it, list it, sell it, ship it, then send you 65% of the money. Some of my items sold for more, some less than what I would have guessed. I was not disappointed overall.

I maintain that putting it on eBay will tell you the value, just not until it sells. If you want someone to predict the value before you commit to selling it in order to help you decide whether you want to sell, that is much more difficult.

Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R / XR12
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k / Xti6k

Mike Diack

• Auckland, New Zealand.
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2016, 05:23:32 pm »

There's also Frank with The Audio Auction-- not much to his website, but does plenty of eBay things. He works closely with PRG, moving their being-rotated-out gear. Half of my VerTecs came from PRG via The Audio Auction.

-Ray
From a buyers perspective, I've had a bad experience with "The Audio Auction".
Bought 20 microphones, 12 were shipped. Two of those that did arrive were faulty (AKG C535s). This was a "Blue Moon Sale" they had some years ago.
No recompense was made. I suspect more effort would have been made for a US domestic buyer.
I have no idea how they are from a sellers perspective.
M
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 03:36:44 pm by Mike Diack »

Steve Payne

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2016, 09:02:39 am »

I used AVForSale in Atlanta. You ship them your stuff (or I was able to drop it off in person) they photograph  it, list it, sell it, ship it, then send you 65% of the money. Some of my items sold for more, some less than what I would have guessed. I was not disappointed overall.

I maintain that putting it on eBay will tell you the value, just not until it sells. If you want someone to predict the value before you commit to selling it in order to help you decide whether you want to sell, that is much more difficult.

Robert, thanks for taking the time to post again with this relevant and helpful information.  I do appreciate it. 
Steve Payne
like us on Facebook at:

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2016, 11:35:27 am »

Bought thru Soundbroker 2 or 3 times.  Jan Landy.  Great guy IME.

Robert Piascik

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2016, 02:11:31 pm »

When AVForSale first started out, you could find some bargains because sometimes people just weren't watching all the obscure little things they had listed (better for buyers, worse for sellers). As their audience grew item prices sort of rose to normal levels (better for sellers, worse for buyers). They seemed to have more ancillary A/V stuff like road cases and video screens and such rather than a majority of speakers and amps and the like.

I know there are other companies that do this same sort of thing because I see them now and then on eBay and now I think even eBay provides the service (eBay Valet?).

My original snarky comment is based on my experience that everybody thinks their stuff is special and think its worth waaaaay more than it is (even though it may be years out of date). If you put it on eBay at $.99 starting bid it WILL sell and probably for what the going rate is (as long as it's mainstream stuff) although it may shock you at how low that is. People are afraid no one will bid what THEY think it's worth or put an unrealistic starting bid and then no one does bid. These days modern pro AV stuff is improving rapidly and very few people want to go backwards on technology. Everyone thinks their old analogue stuff is "perfect for an install" yet if you read these forums all those churches are buying the latest stuff whether they have anyone who knows how to run it or not.

Just my old, cynical and out-dated opinion, good luck on selling your stuff.

:)

Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R / XR12
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k / Xti6k

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2016, 02:11:31 pm »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.