ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Neutrik Xiriium X  (Read 7296 times)

Tim Steer

Re: Neutrik Xiriium X
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2016, 09:54:06 am »

But then it's a dedicated piece that's only good for that purpose, whereas the PSM and UHF-R can go back to IEM and mic duty for the next gig.

Jason

Seems a bit like saying 'why spend money on a pair of pliers when my Leatherman can already do that'. The Xirium is designed to do one thing very well - sending PCM audio over distance with minimal degradation of signal.

Steve Payne

• Soundworks of Virginia, Inc.
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2016, 10:10:34 am »

But then it's a dedicated piece that's only good for that purpose, whereas the PSM and UHF-R can go back to IEM and mic duty for the next gig.

Jason

That's certainly true.  I have to say that, before the day is over, I all to often experience some kind of issue with my delays when using IEMs or wireless belt pac mic systems.  RF drop outs, dead batteries, A BE changes a level and overloads the very finicky mic level input...something.  Maybe it's just me, but I seem to have a difficult time making delays perform on a consistent level with the main PA installation.  I would welcome a better tool that would help me do a better job, if it is not priced out of my reach.
Steve Payne
like us on Facebook at:
https://www.facebook.com/SOUNDWORKSOFVIRGINIA

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2016, 10:11:42 am »

Seems a bit like saying 'why spend money on a pair of pliers when my Leatherman can already do that'. The Xirium is designed to do one thing very well - sending PCM audio over distance with minimal degradation of signal.

Correct! Use the right tool for the job (and make sure the client appreciates the difference). Good enough/close enough is not a professional's mantra.

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2016, 10:59:25 am »

Actually for remote speakers I would be interested if it had a variable delay built in.

Output delay suitable to compensate for speaker position seem s to be a weak point between digital boards and speakers with dsp built in.

I'm only aware of the Yamaha TF and Behringer X Airs as not having output delay. Are there others?
The best sound system is no sound system. Everything else is compromise.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2016, 11:32:03 am »

I'm only aware of the Yamaha TF and Behringer X Airs as not having output delay. Are there others?

Not all speakers require the same delay time in a given use.  To be able to delay the outputs of the Xiriium or similar devices would make this much easier.  I really don't want a bunch of Behringer Sharks...
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2016, 12:42:05 pm »

Not all speakers require the same delay time in a given use.  To be able to delay the outputs of the Xiriium or similar devices would make this much easier.  I really don't want a bunch of Behringer Sharks...

I'm aware of that. They also don't necessarily require the same EQ or output level. I like to have my settings consolidated in as few devices as possible. Hence my question. Are there other digital mixers that don't have output delay? I'm frankly puzzled as to why the two I mentioned don't. It's such a trivial bit of code. I suppose Yamaha and Behringer are hamstringing their cheap pieces to make them less likely to compete with their own more expensive pieces.

Jason Raboin

• Klondike Sound
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2016, 05:09:37 pm »

Dan, I think the idea is to send one signal from one console matrix wirelessly to a bunch of different zones.  If all the zones are the same make and model the eq would be passable, but the delay would need to be different for each zone, hence the need for delay on the receivers.

The other way around this would be to use a powered speaker with DSP built in.  You could walk around with a laptop and tweak to your heart's content.
Jason Raboin
Partner
Klondike Sound

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2016, 06:58:03 pm »

Dan, I think the idea is to send one signal from one console matrix wirelessly to a bunch of different zones.  If all the zones are the same make and model the eq would be passable, but the delay would need to be different for each zone, hence the need for delay on the receivers.

The other way around this would be to use a powered speaker with DSP built in.  You could walk around with a laptop and tweak to your heart's content.

Yes, I get that. How would you adjust the transmitter delay while standing listening in the zone? You're back to running up and down the balcony stairs, or hollering at your a2 on the deck. That's so last century. If your speakers are smart enough and networked, you can do it in the cabinet, but then the next time you're in the venue you need to get that specific cabinet in that specific location. I prefer each one on its own send, either from the console or distributed from the system DSP, and then I can adjust the delay and EQ and level with the readily available software that controls those pieces. I want my wire to be dumb. For that matter, I want my speaker to be dumb. Each one interchangeable, as few variable settings as possible.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2016, 07:27:22 pm »

Check out Whirwind's Ebeam.   It's been years since I looked at it, but it was marketed as audio over laser. Which in reality you had to convert the audio to network (cobranet) first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my world this would be the solution. Understanding the cost of these systems is high by any comparison, there's no comparable technology available for point to point technology over free space. I could see an "A" level act running this type system from FOH to stage and distributing from that point to anything else on or near the stage using gig Ethernet and the protocol of your choice. I've installed these systems and data speed is better than a T1, 3gb or better depending on the components. I'll bet a doughnut Mac Kerr has worked with this technology also.

http://www.lightpointe.com/home.html

1/2 mile low cost and small solution. Watch the video;
http://www.lightpointe.com/airelink-60-series.html

« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 07:34:15 pm by Bob Leonard »
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2016, 07:43:41 pm »

I'll bet a doughnut Mac Kerr has worked with this technology also.

I haven't actually worked with it, but I investigated it for a show in a convention center about 10 years ago. We had too many banners in the air to get a clear line of site. Henry Cohen has tested it, and found it very hard to get the aim right. Outdoors it needs a very robust mount on both ends to keep the laser centered on the receiver.

I think fiber is a much more useful format. If you have to go building to building look into dark fiber already in place.

Mac

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2016, 07:43:41 pm »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 24 queries.