ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LED bars as Wall Washers  (Read 1991 times)

Anthony T Cook

LED bars as Wall Washers
« on: January 06, 2016, 12:14:23 pm »

I am wanting to upgrading lighting in a room used for various events. At the moment I use a Presonus Studiolive system with an IPad to control the sound and video. I was at a store recently that basically told me I could add lighting to that arrangement.

The first step in lighting I want to make is at the back of a stage. I want to replace the existing backwall a with a white background on which I use LED bars to give pastel shades. At the moment nothing to dramatic. Is the idea sound and would I need 6 x 1m bars on a 6m wall to give full cover. I am assuming yes.

I have looked at two products

Stairville Led Bar 240/8

Involight Led Bar 308

I am new here so may be there already multiple threads on this but any help would be appreciated.

Tony

Mike Sullivan

Re: LED bars as Wall Washers
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 10:28:08 pm »

I am wanting to upgrading lighting in a room used for various events. At the moment I use a Presonus Studiolive system with an IPad to control the sound and video. I was at a store recently that basically told me I could add lighting to that arrangement.

The first step in lighting I want to make is at the back of a stage. I want to replace the existing backwall a with a white background on which I use LED bars to give pastel shades. At the moment nothing to dramatic. Is the idea sound and would I need 6 x 1m bars on a 6m wall to give full cover. I am assuming yes.

I have looked at two products

Stairville Led Bar 240/8

Involight Led Bar 308

I am new here so may be there already multiple threads on this but any help would be appreciated.

Tony

Not sure about those brands, but I'd take a look at the Chauvet Freedom line of products.  They have several products with wireless built in and a wireless hub (FlareCON or D-Fi) with iPad apps to control them.  Maybe worth a look.  I'm looking at the Freedom PAR's myself.
When you're reading a topic, and the word "Danley" comes up...RUN!!!

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 11:57:48 pm »

I want to replace the existing backwall a with a white background on which I use LED bars to give pastel shades.

As with anything you're going to have to spend a bit more to get halfway decent results. The 1/4w or 1/2w LED fixtures that you linked above produce some very poor color mixing at distances up to 24" from the fixture, this is clearly visible in the pic below where you can see the red green and blue hues near the fixture before the final color(purple) begins to take shape further up the wall.

A Tri/Quad/Penta LED fixture(each LED chip contains a RGB(red/green/blue) diode for example) such as the one below does a much better job at this although they too can still produce some noticable artifacts on some colors.. but it's only within about 6" of the fixture and after that the colors blend as expected. Fitting a diffuser lense reduces this some more and also widens the coverage a little.

The closest you will get to halogen through a color gel is something called an LED COB fixture, these are physically larger but produce better results because all the color mixing happens behind the fixtures lense. These can also have a much wider beam angle so you could potentially get by with fewer 1m bar fixtures or even a small number of single par cans.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 12:14:16 am by Paul G. OBrien »

Anthony T Cook

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 03:53:09 pm »

Thanks,

This has helped me a lot. One Involite I looked at looks somewhat like the last picture you showed and I liked the color. Just the price was around 230euros a unit. If the angle is wider then that would be great.

I did order a Stairville to try it but it already on the way back to the store as the unit was damaged on arrival.

I think we might save some money and get better units. The quality of the light is important to us. not just its prescence.

Cheers

Tony

As with anything you're going to have to spend a bit more to get halfway decent results. The 1/4w or 1/2w LED fixtures that you linked above produce some very poor color mixing at distances up to 24" from the fixture, this is clearly visible in the pic below where you can see the red green and blue hues near the fixture before the final color(purple) begins to take shape further up the wall.

A Tri/Quad/Penta LED fixture(each LED chip contains a RGB(red/green/blue) diode for example) such as the one below does a much better job at this although they too can still produce some noticable artifacts on some colors.. but it's only within about 6" of the fixture and after that the colors blend as expected. Fitting a diffuser lense reduces this some more and also widens the coverage a little.

The closest you will get to halogen through a color gel is something called an LED COB fixture, these are physically larger but produce better results because all the color mixing happens behind the fixtures lense. These can also have a much wider beam angle so you could potentially get by with fewer 1m bar fixtures or even a small number of single par cans.

Anthony T Cook

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 03:54:26 pm »

Thanks. I will check them out.

Cheers

Tony

Not sure about those brands, but I'd take a look at the Chauvet Freedom line of products.  They have several products with wireless built in and a wireless hub (FlareCON or D-Fi) with iPad apps to control them.  Maybe worth a look.  I'm looking at the Freedom PAR's myself.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 03:54:26 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 23 queries.