ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Elation Show Designer2 CF - DMX addressing?  (Read 1729 times)

Rusty Stevens

Elation Show Designer2 CF - DMX addressing?
« on: January 06, 2016, 11:51:40 am »

I've read through the manual a couple of times and would like some clarification on the fixture addressing. Are the 48 Fixture buttons ard coded to an address range across 36ch each?
For example only if I code in a 7ch fixture to the first fixture slot will the second fixture slot address start at 8 or 37?
I have the fixtures addressed back to back right now for use in Compushow.
Do I need the next fixture or group of fixtures on the next fixture button to have a start address that is next in line from the last fixure in the previous fixture slot, or does each fixture button own it's 36 channels and that is the way it is?
I just need to know if I can adjust the board for my current DMX addressing scheme, or if I will need to re-address the fixtures to match what the board is expecting. I don't have access to the lights to test and figure it out for myself until the day of the show, so I'd like to have a plan in place.
Thanks
Rusty

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Elation Show Designer2 CF - DMX addressing?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 03:24:10 pm »

I've read through the manual a couple of times and would like some clarification on the fixture addressing. Are the 48 Fixture buttons ard coded to an address range across 36ch each?
For example only if I code in a 7ch fixture to the first fixture slot will the second fixture slot address start at 8 or 37?
I have the fixtures addressed back to back right now for use in Compushow.
Do I need the next fixture or group of fixtures on the next fixture button to have a start address that is next in line from the last fixure in the previous fixture slot, or does each fixture button own it's 36 channels and that is the way it is?
I just need to know if I can adjust the board for my current DMX addressing scheme, or if I will need to re-address the fixtures to match what the board is expecting. I don't have access to the lights to test and figure it out for myself until the day of the show, so I'd like to have a plan in place.
Thanks
Rusty

Rusty,  do you have the fixture list in advance?  If not you are going to have a lot of work the day of the show.

You need to make sure you have profiles in the board for each fixture you want to use.  The generic profiles don't map movement, brightness, color etc. so the master faders and joystick won't work without a fixture profile.  If the profile is not available you have to use the somewhat annoying fixture designer software that without the fixture will be tough.

The board then maps the fixtures based on the number of channels in the profile.

If you hit menu, then map channels, turn the job wheel to scroll through them

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Rusty Stevens

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 04:24:50 pm »

Yes I have the fixture list, the current DMX addresses, the computer and software that I have been running the fixtures on to date, and a folder containing all of the ShowDesigner fixtures profiles for my specific lights. I've already built the profiles that I couldn't just find using the fixture creator and the fixture manuals (yeah Blech). The board arrives tomorrow so I can try to load things up at that point. My lights are in storage onsite and I won't be able to get to them till early Saturday, show is Saturday night. If I can't get the board working I can just plug the computer in and use the hacked together chases I have there for another night. I'd like to get the board working if I can though.

Ok, so if I understand what you are saying, the board will not reserve 36ch for each fixture button, and will only assign DMX addressing up to the last address used for the fixtures assigned to that button. So in the case of my example, Button 1 has a single 7ch fixture, button 2 can start at DMX ch8..? Correct?

Thanks
Rusty

Rusty,  do you have the fixture list in advance?  If not you are going to have a lot of work the day of the show.

You need to make sure you have profiles in the board for each fixture you want to use.  The generic profiles don't map movement, brightness, color etc. so the master faders and joystick won't work without a fixture profile.  If the profile is not available you have to use the somewhat annoying fixture designer software that without the fixture will be tough.

The board then maps the fixtures based on the number of channels in the profile.

If you hit menu, then map channels, turn the job wheel to scroll through them

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 10:05:14 pm »

That is correct.   You slot each fixture and the board builds the channel map.  You can even assign a button as no fixture if you want to layout the fixture buttons in groups.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Rusty Stevens

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 12:20:57 pm »

Thank you kind sir!

That is correct.   You slot each fixture and the board builds the channel map.  You can even assign a button as no fixture if you want to layout the fixture buttons in groups.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 12:20:57 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 18 queries.