ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: incadescent lighting as backup?  (Read 3435 times)

Ronnie.Reels

incadescent lighting as backup?
« on: January 05, 2016, 08:58:54 PM »

With the switch to all LED fixtures nowdays are you using Source 4 or simliar on a dimmer as backup for your downstage lighting?

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
Re: incadescent lighting as backup?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 10:44:00 PM »

With the switch to all LED fixtures nowdays are you using Source 4 or simliar on a dimmer as backup for your downstage lighting?
How many LED fixtures do you have?  It's unlikely that all of my LEDs would fail at the same time; losing a fixture whether it is an LED fixture or a tungsten fixture is pretty minor.

That being said, I have more conventional fixtures fail - lamps or sockets than I've ever had trouble with LEDs.

Ronnie.Reels

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 11:12:22 PM »

How many LED fixtures do you have?  It's unlikely that all of my LEDs would fail at the same time; losing a fixture whether it is an LED fixture or a tungsten fixture is pretty minor.

That being said, I have more conventional fixtures fail - lamps or sockets than I've ever had trouble with LEDs.

12x Colorado 1's and (6) 54x3w RBBW chinese.  Plenty of light for a typical 32 wide stage.  Even though they are waterproof and have been rained on many times I'm just worried one little dmx cable issue or huge rain might take them all out and go dreaded blackout. 

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 11:36:57 PM »

12x Colorado 1's and (6) 54x3w RBBW chinese.  Plenty of light for a typical 32 wide stage.  Even though they are waterproof and have been rained on many times I'm just worried one little dmx cable issue or huge rain might take them all out and go dreaded blackout.

If a dmx cable failure or fault is a concern, might you use an optical splitter and run three separate dmx cable runs to six fixtures per cable, and figure that you are not likely to have all three dmx lines all go down at once?  It is a low-tech approach, to be sure, but it might be more cost -effective than back-up S4 instruments, dimmers, cables, etc.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 08:46:03 AM »

Assuming you would be feeding your dimmers with DMX too, I don't think that will solve your problem.

Having backups of things is good, but I concentrate on things where there is only one of something - mixing board, lighting board, system DSP, etc.  Get a good cable tester and maintain your inventory of cables and you won't need to worry.

Re: rain - not sure what to tell you there - I have lots of gear that isn't waterproof.  Other than a roof, tarps, or gig cancellation, your only choice is to have fully water-proof gear, which is expensive and not even possible in all cases.

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 11:06:34 AM »

Many of the new LEDs I have seen have a feature that causes them to remain in their last state if they lose dmx.

I regularly turn off my lighting board at FOH with some of the lights still on as work lights and then later turn them off with the power switch for the circuit.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 11:06:34 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.