ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: advice on flying speakers in studio  (Read 3125 times)

Matthew Martin

advice on flying speakers in studio
« on: January 05, 2016, 07:27:37 AM »

Apologies if this is a bit of a dumb question, but I have no experience rigging things like this.

We have a pair of M-Audio BX8 speakers in our studio. We're planning a reshuffle of our equipment to give us more floor space and would like to fly the speakers from our lighting rig. The rig can take the weight, but our speakers are not designed to be suspended from above. They also don't have pole mount holes, which means I think I'll need to screw them onto a plate of some sort.

I'm somewhat hesitant about drilling M10 holes in the top for a set of eye bolts (and have no idea if it would be safe to suspend in that fashion, as the speakers weren't designed for that), and was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions. Attached is a badly drawn sketch of the sort of thing I think we'll need. Does anyone know where to get something like this?

For reference, the speakers are 12kg each, 38cm x 25cm x 30cm HWD.

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
Re: advice on flying speakers in studio
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 10:44:15 AM »

A quick google search found these mounts, which are rated for 50lbs each. They clamp on the sides and also have a screw hole to secure the speaker from sliding out.

http://www.htmarket.com/siclbospwamo.html?utm_source=googlepepla&utm_medium=adwords&id=86382886161&gclid=CjwKEAiA8K20BRDetNv3p6DNhXwSJADSwa3t-Qdsd65gk4jL49mZuiLJUH2pIwA_Bm15GtWP9XtL0RoCJBLw_wcB

Glen Kelley

• El Paso, TX
    • The University of Texas at El Paso
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 12:24:20 PM »

Attached is a badly drawn sketch of the sort of thing I think we'll need. Does anyone know where to get something like this?

That looks like the old CRT TV mounts that you can still find in Community Colleges and High Schools, holding TV's last used in 1998, labeled with hand-stenciled inventory numbers.  ;D

Check your local school surplus auctions.

Matthew Martin

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 06:24:40 AM »

A quick google search found these mounts... have a screw hole to secure the speaker from sliding out.
Thanks, I did look at a set of clamps similar to these (possibly the exact same ones) but I hadn't noticed the crew hole on either side. We did want to hang them from the lighting rig simply for ease of moving them, and I'm not certain what state the wall is behind our screen, but it's looking like this will be the easiest thing.

That looks like the old CRT TV mounts... Check your local school surplus auctions.
Not a bad shout. I didn't know school surplus was even a thing, but I'll have a look, thanks!

Alex Donkle

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 04:29:40 AM »

I would lean strongly towards buying new speakers designed for rigging, with the appropriate mounting holes built-in.

Consumer-grade / Home Theatre type hardware may work, but in the event something happens I would bet the manufacturer comes back saying "it was not designed for overhead rigging, or for commercial installation". Even if the odds of an incident are low, using the appropriate hardware for the job is always worth it IMHO.
Consultant

David Allred

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 07:41:53 AM »

You want the speaker to be supported by a bottom like the upper image, but utilize a wrap around yoke like the lower image.  Assuming that you want tilt and turn capability, the tilt should be similar to the lower drawing.  Tilting with the upper drawing (swinging up to tilt down), will put a tremendous amount of stress on the O-clamp (and hanger).

If the speakers have bumper feet on them, the existing mounting holes would be useful.  Match the screw / bolt size, but longer, to fasten through the shelf.  I would also keep the bumpers as stand-offs, especially if rubber for isolation.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 07:41:53 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 25 queries.