ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Top Octave Excess Phase Anomalies?  (Read 6800 times)

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
Top Octave Excess Phase Anomalies?
« on: January 04, 2016, 02:45:59 PM »

I've measured a few (horn-loaded, compression driver) speakers that exhibit abrupt phase shifts in the top octave while others do no such thing. In speakers where I see this the frequency at which the phenomenon occurs varies with angle and is excess phase (phase minus minimum-phase derived from log-magnitude by Hilbert transform). Speakers that don't do it on-axis appear not to do it at any angle. Speakers that do it sometimes do it at more than one frequency. (These are all windowed impulse response pseudo-anechoic measurements.)

When I started seeing this I wrote it off as some unexplained artifact of my measurement or analysis technique (failed phase unwrapping or some-such) but now I'm convinced it is real. For a given measurement setup it shows up in Smaart, ARTA, and my own analysis code that uses ARTA-captured impulse responses.

The examples are all from ARTA. Speaker A has it and speaker B does not.

At the risk of supplying insufficient information, I don't want to get into makes and models right now. I'm just wondering if any of you who have measured far more speakers than I recognize this pattern and understand its cause. Is it of perceptual significance? Is the driver or the horn or the combo responsible? It's hard to conclude anything from listening since it's always apples to oranges.

Thanks and Happy New Year.

--Frank

"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

Chris Tsanjoures

Re: Top Octave Excess Phase Anomalies?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 03:08:25 PM »

looks like some sort of comb filtering, perhaps caused by horn design, or lack of DSP to correct for horn related anomalies/driver interactions?

actually, knowing what the gear is that you are using and the dsp applied to it is part of the how we would go about coming up with some sort of opinion as to why this is happening. For example, I would expect to see behavior like this with a system comprised of many smaller tweeters arranged together but not close enough to couple at those frequencies.
I am employed by Rational Acoustics. Besides being a Product Manager for the Smaart Platform, I operate as a fully deployable Smaart Ninja (aka Instructor/System Guy).

Merlijn van Veen

• www.merlijnvanveen.nl
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 03:36:37 PM »

Is a horn a reflector or an absorber?

I have come to suspect reflections within the horn. At 14 kHz you're dealing with wavelengths of less than one inch. That's pretty small compared to the size of your typical horn and there are a lot of ways it could bounce along the way.

And Happy New Year to you Frank  :)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 03:40:26 PM by Merlijn van Veen »

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 10:49:17 PM »

Is a horn a reflector or an absorber?

Hi Merlijn,

I believe horns are intended to be reflectors, although I have seen bits of absorber stuck on them here and there to solve problems ;)

I agree that this looks like some kind of reflection, especially since the frequency of the flip varies with angle. Maybe we're seeing different path lengths for the reflection as we are subject to different aspects of the horn's geometry. If it were, say, a non-piston mode in the diaphragm, I would expect the frequency to be independent of the angle, but I'm totally prepared to be wrong about that (or any of this). And yes, for the first zero to be at 13 kHz the path length difference would have to be about .5 in. Getting down there in scale.

On the other hand, shouldn't a simple reflection (comb filter) be minimum phase?

H(s) = 1 + Ae^(-st) where -1 <= A <= 1

Neither of the measurement examples has any DSP in the chain, although there is a bit of ASP in each (speaker-level analog crossovers). In both cases the phenomenon of interest is far enough above the crossover frequency that the crossover is likely irrelevant. Speaker B is a BMS 4592ND 2" coaxial driver using BMS's crossover on a BMS 60 x 40 horn.

Thanks for the replies.

--Frank

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 11:46:45 AM »

It looks like a reflection.

Have you tried measuring the driver WITHOUT the horn?

My first guess is that it is in the phase plug. 

Which would explain the on axis and off axis "agreeing" with each other.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 02:18:45 PM »

It looks like a reflection.

My first guess is that it is in the phase plug. 

I'd agree. I have measured a lot of different drivers on the same conical horn, some have smooth phase (and FR) all the way out, others show the same type of phase shift as in the OP, associated with either the phase plug or VHF resonance/breakup in the driver (or both).

John L Nobile

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 03:38:50 PM »

How is that ARTA app? I've been looking for something more affordable than Smaart and this hits the right point.

Sorry to go off topic

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 04:41:43 PM »

In this case the existence and the frequency of the abrupt phase shifts appear to vary with angle. I took measurements at roughly 10 deg increments and 10 ft. distance -- optimistically in the far field for this horn. In the image below I overlayed phase plots for 6 measurements, individually adjusting the delay to compensate for the small differences in measurement distance. (I could have overlayed the plots a little better but .01 ms is the delay increment in ARTA, which is a whopping 36 deg at 10 kHz.)

The big question is, can anyone hear it? My guess is no, since from what I've read about perception of phase (in isolation, not talking about coupling of multiple sources), any effect is confined to lower frequencies.

The good news is that since this comes and goes with angle there is nothing to do about it on the processing side. Flatten the average magnitude, play nice music, and be happy.

On measuring drivers without a horn, not that I'm likely to try this anytime soon, do I need a plane-wave tube setup to terminate the driver? I believe that is one way it has been done. It sounds like Art has a "reference horn", which is good for driver comparisons.

Thank you all for your insights.

Best,

--Frank

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2016, 04:51:15 PM »

How is that ARTA app? I've been looking for something more affordable than Smaart and this hits the right point.
Sorry to go off topic

ARTA is awesome, but it is not a replacement for Smaart. ARTA is not "real time". It's great for "lab work" where you can take your time and make systematic measurements. It has a lot of great analysis tools, both for speaker and room work. It also has really nice documentation that explains exactly what it does, unlike Smaart which is a (somewhat irritating) black box. But if you try to use it to align subs 30 minutes from downbeat you'll go nuts. You need Smaart, or something like it, for that.

I think there have been a number of threads on this topic.

Best,

--Frank

John L Nobile

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2016, 04:57:25 PM »

ARTA is awesome, but it is not a replacement for Smaart. ARTA is not "real time". It's great for "lab work" where you can take your time and make systematic measurements. It has a lot of great analysis tools, both for speaker and room work. It also has really nice documentation that explains exactly what it does, unlike Smaart which is a (somewhat irritating) black box. But if you try to use it to align subs 30 minutes from downbeat you'll go nuts. You need Smaart, or something like it, for that.

I think there have been a number of threads on this topic.

Best,

--Frank

Thanks Frank. This is the first I've heard of ARTA. Guess I'll have to save up a little longer for Smaart

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2016, 04:57:25 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 23 queries.