ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dante Integration with MTX 5D - Networking Questions...  (Read 2619 times)

Cailen Waddell

Dante Integration with MTX 5D - Networking Questions...
« on: January 03, 2016, 09:35:41 AM »

One of our theaters uses a Yamaha MTX 5d to process lobby feeds, backstage feeds, paging, etc. 

Previously our house console was a Yamaha m7cl-es and any console feed was sent analog to the MTX.  We are in the process of changing over to a Yamaha CL system...  I would like to take advantage of the Dante option within the MTX 5d to facilitate some bi-directional sending of audio...  A Direct console feed to the MTX5d, and then the ability for the console to pickup a couple inputs from the MTX, specifically our emergency evac announcements to the building, as well as the various com paging feeds...

The MTX 5d does its configuration over the primary Dante Port.  This is also the port that must be used for wireless DCP (their control scheme for iphones, ipads, etc).  Currently with the M7, as there is no other dante, and no dante audio being transmitted, this port is connected to the theater's wireless control network, hitting a switch back to a router/wap.  Obviously I want to keep the Dante off of this network, as it hits a number of other devices for wireless control. 

Any thoughts on how I can keep the DCP control options available through the current wireless, but keep the dante traffic off of it?  I had thought possibly, adding a router, keeping dante traffic on the LAN side, and connecting the WAN side to our current network, and putting the DCP in the DMZ...  Am I over complicating?  Would that even work?  I have a solid grasp of basic networking, but this is pushing just a tad beyond my comfort zone.

Thanks all....

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
Re: Dante Integration with MTX 5D - Networking Questions...
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 09:47:12 AM »

One of our theaters uses a Yamaha MTX 5d to process lobby feeds, backstage feeds, paging, etc. 

Thanks all....

Cailen,
Take a look here....
http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/global/en/training_support/selftraining/dante_guide/chapter2/05_multicast/

there is some good stuff, specifically about 3/4 of the way down.   There sections "QOS Settings" and similar are good starters for getting started with Dante.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 09:53:45 AM »

Cailen,
Take a look here....
http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/global/en/training_support/selftraining/dante_guide/chapter2/05_multicast/

there is some good stuff, specifically about 3/4 of the way down.   There sections "QOS Settings" and similar are good starters for getting started with Dante.

On first glance this looks super helpful - thanks David!  Ill report back if it leaves some unanswered questions....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 01:49:46 PM »

Cailen,
Take a look here....

So... basically, the way I read it, with a properly setup switch with QoS settings applied properly, I should have no trouble sharing the network with some other control traffic...  IGMP enabled etc...

Currently the devices on the network are setup with mac address IP reservations in the router/wap.  Whats the thinking of simply adding DHCP reservations for the Dante Devices as well?  Some google showed some people for, some against....

TIA...

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 12:21:12 PM »

There was a Dante class put on by Yamaha at Elon University a few weeks ago. They have Dante traffic on their standard network at Elon. Apparently it's not an issue using the proper QoS settings. They did say that Dante would almost certainly take down VoIP phones on the same network. But if it's just control commands it sounds like they should play fine with the Dante traffic.

The Yamaha guys have pretty good tech support. Have you tried calling them? I have some contact info from the show if you need it.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 12:21:12 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.