ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestions for laser or laser effects fixtures  (Read 9798 times)

John L Nobile

Suggestions for laser or laser effects fixtures
« on: January 02, 2016, 01:07:10 PM »

I'm looking to add a little more eye candy into our lighting rig. Thinking of a laser effect. It needs to be powerful enough to cut through 70 1k conventionals and 36 LED movers (24 wash and 12 spots).

John Fruits

Re: Suggestions for laser or laser effects fixtures
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 03:27:45 PM »

Not a laser but a scanner but you might take a look at the Elation Sniper 2r.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYD2-3Ru2c0
As far a real lasers, take a look at X-Laser.
http://x-laser.us/
Do be aware of the paper work required for lasers. 
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

John L Nobile

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 04:03:39 PM »

The Sniper looks like a very cool fixture. I'm going to look into that. Thanks for the link.

Justin Waters

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 05:55:51 PM »

We have an X-Laser X beam 5000.  Super bright, full color, seems to be built well. 

James Feenstra

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 01:09:59 PM »

Hey John, you'll need some pretty big lasers to blow through what's up in your rig, I'd guess something at least 3w

Give me a shout and I'll see what I can do about getting you a demo of the X-Laser stuff
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

Michael Gorecki

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 05:35:18 PM »

Hey guys, I've got an event coming up and the only lighting request was "lasers". The room that we're going to already has 8 ADJ beams and 8 ADJ spots. Not sure on the models but they look to be the size of the Chauvet intimidators. They've got a dozen  LED par cans as well. Not a ton of light but enough for the space. I'm in SoCal and I have a buddy that is the XLaser rep but there aren't any demos in our area I guess. So I've been thinking about buying a laser.
My main concern is how wide the beam angle will be. I can drive down and check out the X Laser HPX tour but I've only got an HPX budget. So let me know if there's something else that has come out in the last year or if ou have any experience with these lights. The main effect they want is the liquid sky.

Thanks in advance.
Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 07:25:35 PM »

While I'll be the first to admit that I've only seen the Sniper 2R in a demo environment, I personally feel that it doesn't quite cut it as a true laser emulator.  The 5R-powered Sniper Pro might do a better job, but for the price I'd look to a true laser.  While both units produce a neat effect, it's just that - an effect light - useful if you like the look and don't want to mess with the variance and outdoor use issues, but if you want the real deal, there's still no alternative that I'm aware that can do the true laser effects besides an actual laser.  X-Laser would be the first place I'd start if that's what you decide on doing.  Good luck!

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2017, 07:26:36 PM »

A word of warning.  Lazers over a certain wattage require a FDA (yes the Food and Drug Administration) license.  This is because they can be dangerous to your eye sight and cause lasting damage!

The license is not hard to get, and X laser gets you through it easily, but it takes some time.  Anyone can buy lasers on ebay that need the license with getting it, but there are real reasons why you should not!  Get the knowledge and get the license.

The Sniper will produce the "liquid sky" effect without being a laser or needing license.

duane massey

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2017, 02:32:13 AM »

Make CERTAIN you know the law! The beam from any laser over 495mw cannot be displayed within 3m (roughly 10') of a person. I cannot begin to tell you how many large lasers I have seen installed in clubs and used by mobile DJ's and bands that are projected directly into the audience.
The Sniper 2R can look great IF you present it correctly: plenty of haze and use a dim setting with complementary colors. Much like the old Emulators you have to use common sense when going for a "laser-like" effect.
Google "entertainment laser safety regulations".
Also, I have complained for a long, long time on the blatant marketing tactics by the laser manufacturers. Virtually every video you see shows at least part of the time the laser shining directly into the camera to show the "tunnel" effect. You can't do this on the real world, yet clients expect to see this very effect.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

James Feenstra

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2017, 02:54:12 AM »

A word of warning.  Lazers over a certain wattage require a FDA (yes the Food and Drug Administration) license.  This is because they can be dangerous to your eye sight and cause lasting damage!
Not in Canada as far as I can tell....we don't have anything remotely close to what the US has (a variance for various laser classes). Only things I can find are regarding outdoor displays and permits in relation to airplanes/airports.

That being said, yes, lasers can be very dangerous and require specific training to operate safely....I'd suggest consulting a pro laser company (there are many) if you're looking to do a proper laser display
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2017, 02:54:12 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 25 queries.