ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: QSC PLD or alternative  (Read 15331 times)

Rusty Stevens

Re: QSC PLD or alternative
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2016, 09:11:42 PM »

I switched from a pair of Crown XLS2500's (one stereo for tops and one bridged for subs) to a QSC PLD4.3. I'm running each speaker on it's own channel and it works great. I'm technically down power on the subs and up power on the top cabinets. I have to pad the tops back about -5db whether I'm running subs on a bridged 2500 or one per channel on the PLD. Tops are Yorkville E-15's and the subs are Yorkville 808's. The PLD is noticeably cleaner than the XLS's and has no issues keeping up. I like mine so far, and when I add a second set of cabinets I'll likely get a PLD 4.5 for the subs.

Hi chaps,

Im looking at upgrading my amp rack to something smarter, more reliable and lighter. Its to power a pair of Martin audio f12's (rated 300rms, 1200 peak) and a single s15+ (750 Rms and 3000 peak.)

Currently I'm running an old crown xs900 for the tops and one side of an inuke nu6000 for the sub, with a martin m3 on crossover and limiter duties. The xs900 weighs a ton, and I don't trust the inuke at all- It was only meant as a stopgap.

I'm tempted by the QSC PLD 4.3 as it'll cut down on size and weight, as well as adding features like channel delay etc. Having read all I can find on here about them they seem to have had some reliability issues early on that have been ironed out.

My question is- do you guys think this is about as good an option as there is, or is there anything else you think would be a better investment.

I'd likely keep the xs900 or Inuke as a spare in a separate rack, so I can at least run tops if the PLD (or other new amp) fails.

Thanks in advance!

Mike Goodreau

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2016, 10:02:11 PM »

Yet another PLD 4.5 failure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JLSOM

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2017, 11:41:41 AM »

Hi chaps,

Im looking at upgrading my amp rack to something smarter, more reliable and lighter. Its to power a pair of Martin audio f12's (rated 300rms, 1200 peak) and a single s15+ (750 Rms and 3000 peak.)

Currently I'm running an old crown xs900 for the tops and one side of an inuke nu6000 for the sub, with a martin m3 on crossover and limiter duties. The xs900 weighs a ton, and I don't trust the inuke at all- It was only meant as a stopgap.

I'm tempted by the QSC PLD 4.3 as it'll cut down on size and weight, as well as adding features like channel delay etc. Having read all I can find on here about them they seem to have had some reliability issues early on that have been ironed out.

My question is- do you guys think this is about as good an option as there is, or is there anything else you think would be a better investment.

I'd likely keep the xs900 or Inuke as a spare in a separate rack, so I can at least run tops if the PLD (or other new amp) fails.

Thanks in advance!

I got a JBL VTX V20 with Crown IT 4x3500, but for my monitors and side fill, i didnt got the money for those, so i bought 3 QSC PLD 4.5, and used with VRX915M and STX 815M and jus amazing, great amp. I wounder if QSC make one PLD with more power pr chanel 2500w or more.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Posting Rules
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2017, 11:45:13 AM »

I wounder if QSC make one PLD with more power pr chanel 2500w or more.

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2017, 11:56:39 AM »

Thanks for the reports back, there isn't a right lot of user feedback on the web about these amps....

The lack of reports about the 4.5 and similar models is because they are targeted primarily at installed systems, where the owners usually have no idea what's in the amp racks and do not care so long as the amps work and the end users have no choices about the products used.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2017, 12:00:27 PM »

I switched from a pair of Crown XLS2500's (one stereo for tops and one bridged for subs) to a QSC PLD4.3. I'm running each speaker on it's own channel and it works great. I'm technically down power on the subs and up power on the top cabinets. I have to pad the tops back about -5db whether I'm running subs on a bridged 2500 or one per channel on the PLD. Tops are Yorkville E-15's and the subs are Yorkville 808's. The PLD is noticeably cleaner than the XLS's and has no issues keeping up. I like mine so far, and when I add a second set of cabinets I'll likely get a PLD 4.5 for the subs.

Watts don't drive speakers, VOLTS do.

If you're padding the tops whether or not the sub amp is bridged tells me there is something else going on, as *bridge mode* increases that amp's gain by +6dB.  Bridging does NOT increase the output *current* capability of the amplifier but it does increase the voltage (which is why one generally decreases the input to a bridged amp by -6dB so the rest of the processing matches up).

"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2017, 03:57:17 PM »

We've got PLD4.5s that we use for monitors duty and for the occasional very small gig. No issues to report. Ours have about 1400 hours on them so far.

jason misterka

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2017, 04:21:24 PM »

The lack of reports about the 4.5 and similar models is because they are targeted primarily at installed systems, where the owners usually have no idea what's in the amp racks and do not care so long as the amps work and the end users have no choices about the products used.
Tim-

I wouldn't say that.  The CXD is the install version with installation hardware features. Same software though.

Most people using PLD are ex-PLX users and seem to be happy with the weight and power output.  And especially the current draw.   

The software is a bit cumbersome as compaired to our more expensive amplifiers. But fine for setting up a few presets for different configurations.  I don't recommend using it on the fly as you would a system processor, though.

FYI We are QSC dealers and I have sold a lot of them, however I also own thirteen of them for our production company.  We have used them (4.5s) for the last year or two as monitor amplifiers and for smaller point source PA systems.

We did have a bit of trouble from the first batch but QSC took care of it quickly and professionally.  No complaints there. We have had no problems with the 9 amps we bought in the second batch.

Even with the few failures in the beginning the PLD failure rate is still significantly bellow our Lab G PLM failure rate and the amps are 1/4 the cost :)

Jason

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2017, 04:21:24 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 23 queries.