ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: QSC PLD or alternative  (Read 15332 times)

Tim Bailey

QSC PLD or alternative
« on: January 01, 2016, 01:42:24 PM »

Hi chaps,

Im looking at upgrading my amp rack to something smarter, more reliable and lighter. Its to power a pair of Martin audio f12's (rated 300rms, 1200 peak) and a single s15+ (750 Rms and 3000 peak.)

Currently I'm running an old crown xs900 for the tops and one side of an inuke nu6000 for the sub, with a martin m3 on crossover and limiter duties. The xs900 weighs a ton, and I don't trust the inuke at all- It was only meant as a stopgap.

I'm tempted by the QSC PLD 4.3 as it'll cut down on size and weight, as well as adding features like channel delay etc. Having read all I can find on here about them they seem to have had some reliability issues early on that have been ironed out.

My question is- do you guys think this is about as good an option as there is, or is there anything else you think would be a better investment.

I'd likely keep the xs900 or Inuke as a spare in a separate rack, so I can at least run tops if the PLD (or other new amp) fails.

Thanks in advance!

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
Re: QSC PLD or alternative
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 02:56:23 PM »

Hi chaps,

Im looking at upgrading my amp rack to something smarter, more reliable and lighter. Its to power a pair of Martin audio f12's (rated 300rms, 1200 peak) and a single s15+ (750 Rms and 3000 peak.)

Currently I'm running an old crown xs900 for the tops and one side of an inuke nu6000 for the sub, with a martin m3 on crossover and limiter duties. The xs900 weighs a ton, and I don't trust the inuke at all- It was only meant as a stopgap.

I'm tempted by the QSC PLD 4.3 as it'll cut down on size and weight, as well as adding features like channel delay etc. Having read all I can find on here about them they seem to have had some reliability issues early on that have been ironed out.

My question is- do you guys think this is about as good an option as there is, or is there anything else you think would be a better investment.

I'd likely keep the xs900 or Inuke as a spare in a separate rack, so I can at least run tops if the PLD (or other new amp) fails.

Thanks in advance!

Read the rules, fix your display name.

Thank you for your cooperation.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Tim Bailey

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 03:48:53 PM »

Read the rules, fix your display name.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Hi, apologies! I was fixing this as you moved it. Done now anyway.

Helge A. Bentsen

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2016, 05:29:15 PM »

Powersoft M50Q? 1U, lightweight, affordable and reliable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tim Bailey

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2016, 05:36:24 PM »

Powersoft M50Q? 1U, lightweight, affordable and reliable

Thanks for the suggestion! I had a look at those, and the m28q. The standard one has no DSP onboard, and the DSP version runs at just shy of £3000. Do you reckon that it's worth the extra money for a system such as mine? The rig will mainly be used for small gigs and private functions.

Helge A. Bentsen

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2016, 05:44:57 PM »

I would not bother with a second DSP if you're happy with the one you have. The Powersoft DSP is a good one, so if you wish to replace your existing one, it's a good replacement.

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2016, 10:40:50 PM »

I just finished my third gig with a new PLD 4.3 powering four SRX 712s as monitors. The amp is almost too good to believe - the performance, weight and price - I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Mike Goodreau

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2016, 08:04:52 AM »

I have used the Powersoft amps , but still struggle with the DSP.
The QSC 4.5 works pretty well with our Microwedges.   
Has anyone used Crown Xti 6002 with success?

Tim Bailey

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2016, 07:13:05 PM »

I have used the Powersoft amps , but still struggle with the DSP.
The QSC 4.5 works pretty well with our Microwedges.   
Has anyone used Crown Xti 6002 with success?

Thanks for the reports back, there isn't a right lot of user feedback on the web about these amps....

Irvin Pribadi

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2016, 12:05:18 AM »

I'm using three Crown XTi2's: the 1002, 4002 and 6002.
1002 for floor wedges, the 4002 bridged driving a Danley SH69 and 6002 bridged driving a TH118 sub.
They run HiQnet via USB through BandManager2 software (free) which allows a good amount of DSP features, ability to save profiles and live status monitoring.
I only use the DSP for crossovers, limiters and delay.
So far no complaints, only concern I heard was that they need good input voltage which I do have.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2016, 12:05:18 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 25 queries.