ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Will this gennie do?  (Read 5816 times)

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Wal Mann

• Wollongong NSW Australia
Re: Will this gennie do?
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2015, 07:19:36 pm »

Thanks,

Now the home owner has thrown all this on me.  >:(  Which may not be a bad thing.

I haven't been able to find a rental company who has a inverter gennie.  :(

I guess I'll try to pick up a couple of circuits around the house. Now where are those 50ft orange extension cords?

Get the client to run his Christmas lights (and cooking equipment etc.) off the generator and leave the mains power for your gear, then you'll know if he trusts the generator.

Wal

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2015, 08:38:52 pm »

Get the client to run his Christmas lights (and cooking equipment etc.) off the generator and leave the mains power for your gear, then you'll know if he trusts the generator.

Wal

Actually not a bad idea-lights and cooking equipment should be less susceptible to damage.
Steve Swaffer

Doug Johnson

• Rhoadesville, VA
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2015, 09:41:52 pm »

If you have a small distro and they have a dryer that uses an l14-30. I would use that.  Better yet if the stove is electric; l14-50.

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2015, 10:11:09 pm »

If you have a small distro and they have a dryer that uses an l14-30. I would use that.  Better yet if the stove is electric; l14-50.

Assuming it isn't an old house with a NEMA 10-50 or 10-30 receptacle....
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2015, 10:16:51 pm »

It's a new house. Hooking into the dryer plug would be a great idea and probably would solve all the power issues.

I guess I should get a distro one day,  for these types of gigs. I had one years ago, but I rarely need one anymore.
"At first you don't succeed, go back to the drawing board."

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2015, 10:18:55 pm »

http://www.rentalworld.com/honda_products/generators/superquiet.html

I called rental World. There is one just a few miles from here. But all their inverter Honda gennies were already rented out.
"At first you don't succeed, go back to the drawing board."

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2015, 08:51:38 am »

I called rental World. There is one just a few miles from here. But all their inverter Honda gennies were already rented out.

If you do find yourself stuck using a contractor generator, I highly recommend you use a good meter to check voltage and frequency prior to plugging into it. Also, be sure that the neutral and ground are bonded at the generator and insist on an 8 ft ground rod bonded to the generator chassis. Don't pound the ground rod in yourself unless you contact "Miss Utility" or whoever your local water/gas/electric safety group is. You don't want to be hitting a pipe or wire with the ground rod and be responsible for really bad things happening.
Mike Sokol
mike@noshockzone.org
www.NoShockZone.org

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2015, 10:25:52 am »

It's a new house. Hooking into the dryer plug would be a great idea and probably would solve all the power issues.

I guess I should get a distro one day,  for these types of gigs. I had one years ago, but I rarely need one anymore.

Having my own Honda EU3000i has allowed me to reduce my "liability profile" and not worry about power availability/suitability.  I can site the unit right behind the stage with no noise issues and cut down on setup time and cabling with no cable runs for folks to trip over.  Combine that with iPad mixing (no snake) and I'm as safe as can be.

The Honda paid for itself in a little over one season...monetarily.  But the savings in setup and logistical advantages paid off after the first job.  If I wasn't at the end of my career I'd go with the 6500 feeding my own distro to power the amps with 220.

I think TJ's setup for this is close to ideal.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2015, 10:50:47 am »

Wal

Of all the suggestions involving NOT being able to procure a Honda/equivalent genest, I think this one poses the least risk to your equipment.

You stated you no longer own a distro, so you might want to check the rental places for one -

frank

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2015, 10:50:47 am »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 25 queries.