ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: unusual GFCI power loss  (Read 7038 times)

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
unusual GFCI power loss
« on: December 28, 2015, 05:11:52 PM »

I wasn't sure where to put this, but this weekend sometime while I was out doing yard work my kitchen GFCI disconnected power. When I came in and checked my answering machine the power light was off, then I figured out that everything plugged into that one outlet was dead.

It wasn't an actual ground fault trip because that red fault light on the outlet was not lit, it had just dropped power as if it was never latched on, but my house did not lose power even momentarily as far as I know (microwave clock still correct).

As soon as I pressed the reset button on the outlet, power returned.

Is this typical..? Perhaps a concern for high up-time applications.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Stephen Swaffer

Re: unusual GFCI power loss
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 05:19:41 PM »

I wasn't sure where to put this, but this weekend sometime while I was out doing yard work my kitchen GFCI disconnected power. When I came in and checked my answering machine the power light was off, then I figured out that everything plugged into that one outlet was dead.

It wasn't an actual ground fault trip because that red fault light on the outlet was not lit, it had just dropped power as if it was never latched on, but my house did not lose power even momentarily as far as I know (microwave clock still correct).

As soon as I pressed the reset button on the outlet, power returned.

Is this typical..? Perhaps a concern for high up-time applications.

JR

This is certainly not typical-might be a defective GFCI.

FWIW, a new UL requirement went into effect in June of this year that requires all GFCI devices do a periodic self test (I am guessing the 30 day testing requirement was being ignored too often??).  I am just now seeing the new devices in my suppliers pipelines-only up front noticeable difference is part number.

IIRC, this particular GFCI is fairly new, you might have received one of the new generation- and. All know how reliable "updates" are.
Steve Swaffer

Lyle Williams

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 06:52:20 PM »

Moisture?

Or is this an active GFCI/RCD?  I have portable dual pole devices that need a continuous upstream supply to stay on.  Momentary loss of upstream power results in a trip.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 07:09:22 PM »

FWIW, a new UL requirement went into effect in June of this year that requires all GFCI devices do a periodic self test (I am guessing the 30 day testing requirement was being ignored too often??).  I am just now seeing the new devices in my suppliers pipelines-only up front noticeable difference is part number.

IIRC, this particular GFCI is fairly new, you might have received one of the new generation- and. All know how reliable "updates" are.

Yikes.

When you say it must do a periodic self test, does that mean loss of power every so often to anything connected to GFCIs?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2015, 07:12:36 PM »

Yikes.

When you say it must do a periodic self test, does that mean loss of power every so often to anything connected to GFCIs?

Hmmm.  I foresee mutiny, Captain.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2015, 07:31:23 PM »

Hmmm.  I foresee mutiny, Captain.

I foresee a contining supply of "NOS" devices without that feature, suddenly being "found" in back rooms of warehouses, Captain.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2015, 07:37:54 PM »

I foresee a contining supply of "NOS" devices without that feature, suddenly being "found" in back rooms of warehouses, Captain.

Sort of like JBL SRX728 and manuscripts by PDQ Bach.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2015, 07:44:49 PM »

Made in China, and sold under the brand name of "Genuine UL listed", too, I would bet, and only available from an on-line vendor.  < end snark >. PDQ Bach is still the real deal, however.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2015, 07:48:01 PM »

Yikes.

As I read the flyer with my Leviton Smartlock PRO mode GFNT2E, No load disconnect should occur with the new breakers on self test.  They do caution not to connect life-saving devices into them, however.
Further reading seems to confirm my reading of the flyer.  They were also talking g about self-tests every 15 minutes.

After I finish my multiple GFCI stringer project, I'll report on the stability I have with eight GFCI devices on a stringer.

frank

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2015, 08:20:25 PM »

If the self test doesn't introduce a fault and then reset the GFCI, the self test is based on some indirect test based on ASSumptions about what "might" fail.

Perhaps they have enough experience from dissecting failed GFCI devices to have a sense for what the weak links are.

Hypothetically a brief fault could be introduced perhaps past the wave form peak so appliance power supplies are already charged. The power disconnect is quickly confirmed, and then power restored quickly enough that most appliances wouldn't even notice.  Sounds like a new source of random mains noise.   

The road to hell is paved with good intentions and this sounds like a fix for something that isn't that much of a problem. How many deaths occur from faulty GFCI (that were properly installed)? I haven't heard of any.

The GFCI outlet sellers would probably embrace any excuse to raise prices with more complexity and obsolete the last generation that they can no longer compete with on price.

JR

@ Lyle not moisture,,, the GFCI did not trip, just lost power and AFAIk mains power was not cycled or removed.

@ Mark, yes China's finest, but that does not immediately explain what/why... If it happens again I have more than an isolated random event.
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2015, 08:20:25 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.