ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Removing passive crossover  (Read 2979 times)

Dave VanderWal

Removing passive crossover
« on: December 28, 2015, 01:44:01 PM »

Hello,
I hope someone can give me some info.
I recently picked up a set of Evolution Acoustic Engineering bass bins (2-15"each) that are being driven by a Peavey CS1000 amp. Only the kick drum and bass guitar are run on this system.
The problem is, even though the system works with my old speakers, the kick drum does not come through these new speakers (input signal is showing on amp)
If I connect my keyboard, set it to a drum kit, everything sounds fine.
All I can think of is that the crossover in the speakers must be rated too high, or the crossover is faulty.
As I am only running low frequencies in, can I eliminate the crossover in the speakers to test things out and see if it works.
Thanks

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
Re: Removing passive crossover
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 04:28:35 PM »

Hello,
I recently picked up a set of Evolution Acoustic Engineering bass bins (2-15"each) that are being driven by a Peavey CS1000 amp. Only the kick drum and bass guitar are run on this system.
The problem is, even though the system works with my old speakers, the kick drum does not come through these new speakers (input signal is showing on amp)
All I can think of is that the crossover in the speakers must be rated too high, or the crossover is faulty.
As I am only running low frequencies in, can I eliminate the crossover in the speakers to test things out and see if it works.
Thanks
You can test the speakers without the crossover.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 04:52:15 PM »

Hello,
Thanks
I can't possibly see how a speaker could reproduce drum sounds from a keyboard and not from a drum set.

The crossover is THE LAST thing I would look at.

If it is working with the keyboard, then it has to work with real drums.

Something else is wrong.

HOWEVER it could an intermittent connection that different levels are causing it to work or not-but that is a completely different issue (in my mind).

Or there is something else you are not telling us.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Kevin Bayersdorfer

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 05:07:18 PM »

Hello,
Thanks
What is your order of components from microphone for the kick drum to the bass bins

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 12:31:11 PM »

I recently picked up a set of Evolution Acoustic Engineering bass bins (2-15"each) that are being driven by a Peavey CS1000 amp.

Did you acquire the PV amp with the speakers? Do you perhaps have the amp set to bridged mono with speakers connected to both L and R outputs?

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 02:29:11 PM »

Did you acquire the PV amp with the speakers? Do you perhaps have the amp set to bridged mono with speakers connected to both L and R outputs?
I did not think of that.

If the keyboard "drum" sounds were in stereo, they would come through (although not correctly because one side would be out of polarity), but a mono drum sound would cancel.

Nice thinking :)
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 02:29:11 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 23 queries.