ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Down

Author Topic: Soundcraft Performer Q&A  (Read 32187 times)

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
Re: Soundcraft Performer
« Reply #90 on: January 11, 2016, 12:39:24 PM »

I run the board through a UPS and the stagebox when possible.
I had stage power go out for a second once and when the stagebox came back on, the mother of all pops!
I use an APC500 and it will run the board and stagebox for 20+ minutes.
You will have sound as soon as the power is back on.
Plus voltage, current and surge protection.
Cheap insurance in my book.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
Re: Soundcraft Performer
« Reply #91 on: January 11, 2016, 12:40:50 PM »

Oh, don't forget the wireless router for the Ipad.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Branimir Bozak

• Stara metalika
Re: Soundcraft Performer - UPDATE and in the rack.
« Reply #92 on: April 28, 2016, 01:23:05 PM »

I'm under the impression that the Performer is using the same circuit/design for the board channel preamps as the Vi1. Is this incorrect? There is a noticeable difference in available headroom between the Expression and performer.

Also, I've noticed the Performer runs a little hotter than the Expression, however, the Performer has an internal fan and I don't think the Expression has any fans at all.
Cheers,

Quite curious about this too, as gathering info from Soundcraft gives different results, I asked my local rep and they said the entire Si line has same input circuitry (preamps/AD converters), and it makes sense.

Si Performer, Expression, Impact share the same preamps and converters as do Mini stageboxes.
Even their brochure says these three use GB preamps.

Vi1 has different preamps for sure, and Compact stagebox has same preamps and converters as Vi1, they even state on their website, that you can take out modules from the Compact stagebox and put them into Vi1 and expand number of inputs (or outputs) on the console without using the stagebox.

Vi2,4,6 have Studer preamps.

I own an Expression 3, and would like to try the Performer, but I think it does not make much sense for someone to buy either the Expression or Performer and then go with a Mini stagebox and suffer sound differences, it really makes sense they all have the same circuitry - if Performer sounds better than the Expression, and they you buy a Mini stagebox, it does not make any difference soundwise - if you connect it to the Expression or the Performer.

Given that, I find that Expression has plenty of headroom, and compared to khm... X32/M32, this console sounds better. Lack of scribble scripts makes it a bit "obsolete" in feel, and lacking 4 full parametric EQ is a bit of a let down, but it does the job good, nevertheless.

I am not going into DSP/practical difference between Ex and Perf, they are obvious.

Anybody here using the Expression or Performer with the Compact stagebox?

ps: I do think Perfomer has higher quality faders than the Expression
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 01:48:53 PM by Branimir Bozak »
If you scoop, it sounds like poop!

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
Re: Soundcraft Performer Q&A
« Reply #93 on: April 28, 2016, 11:54:50 PM »

I had spoken to Soundcraft some time ago and at that point they confirmed the Performer uses the same pre amps as the Vi1, which has Studer based pre amps as well. IMO the Performer is a better board all around, not just because the build is better, and I own an Expression and a Performer. However, that should be the case considering the price difference. People on this site use many combinations of the Soundcraft stage boxes and expansion boards, and to be honest, and corrected if needed, I don't think anyone has had a real issue with connectivity at all regardless of board/box type.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Soundcraft Performer Q&A
« Reply #93 on: April 28, 2016, 11:54:50 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.