ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Soundcraft Performer Q&A  (Read 32216 times)

eric lenasbunt

• Bunt Backline Event Services, LLC
Re: Soundcraft Performer - UPDATE and in the rack.
« Reply #80 on: January 07, 2016, 09:09:22 PM »

Hey Jordan! GREAT idea!!! That's what I love about this forum! I simply never would have thought of that!

Though getting back on topic - one of the beauties of the Soundcraft Vi Series boards is their 31band Digital Graphic EQ applicable to any bus path.
The only time I ever use groups is in musical theatre to group a set of lavs that all want to misbehave similarly. I can PEQ or graph out some ugly stuff without tuning it all out in the PA or having to do it in 10 channels. I also set compression groups that way for big chorus numbers where it gets loud but individuals are not necessarily hitting their individual compression thresholds.

Grant Birchard

• New Destiny Productions
« Reply #81 on: January 07, 2016, 10:24:19 PM »

The only time I ever use groups is in musical theatre to group a set of lavs that all want to misbehave similarly. I can PEQ or graph out some ugly stuff without tuning it all out in the PA or having to do it in 10 channels. I also set compression groups that way for big chorus numbers where it gets loud but individuals are not necessarily hitting their individual compression thresholds.
Yep. Perfect application for groups. I've done that too.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #82 on: January 08, 2016, 02:46:17 AM »

I actually still use my old school method of groups for monitor feeds. Works good, lasts a long time. One group for each vocalist on stage with all other vocalists in the group. Adjust volumes as needed and adjust group output with master. I guess my age is showing.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #83 on: January 08, 2016, 03:59:45 PM »

Isn't that what the mix to aux buttons do?
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Robert Lunceford

Re: Soundcraft Performer
« Reply #84 on: January 09, 2016, 01:09:03 AM »

Hi Bob,
I have to first admit that I haven't read each entry in this thread, so please excuse me if this has already been asked.
Are you using any type of UPS or voltage regulator for the digital board?
If so, which brand and model?

Thanks,
Robert

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #85 on: January 09, 2016, 04:19:32 PM »

The only thing I've used on any digital board for the past couple of years, or on any board ever, has been a good surge protector. I've never had an issue and don't expect to have am issue. A UPS has but one intended purpose above surge protection, and sometimes voltage regulation, and that is to provide enough power to keep the system (board) alive long enough so that it can be shut down properly without simply killing the power. Other than that, IMO, there is no benefit to using a UPS for a board, UNLESS, there are electromechanical devices involved, i.e. a disk drive.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #86 on: January 10, 2016, 03:54:48 PM »

The only thing I've used on any digital board for the past couple of years, or on any board ever, has been a good surge protector. I've never had an issue and don't expect to have am issue. A UPS has but one intended purpose above surge protection, and sometimes voltage regulation, and that is to provide enough power to keep the system (board) alive long enough so that it can be shut down properly without simply killing the power. Other than that, IMO, there is no benefit to using a UPS for a board, UNLESS, there are electromechanical devices involved, i.e. a disk drive.

The reason that I have used a UPS was to protect from a brown out or a momentary loss of power. One venue I was working in a lot seemed to have a lot of momentary power glitches. If this was enough to shut down the digital desk or the digital signal processor, since these generally took too long to restart that would be a couple of minute’s interruption of the show.

I used a Midas M32 all last summer for a summer concert series and we didn’t have a UPS on it and didn’t have a problem at all thru the whole summer.

George Dougherty

« Reply #87 on: January 11, 2016, 11:40:42 AM »

Reboot time is exactly why I use a UPS on digital desks. The power supplies any more will ride a smal brownout just fine, but a dropout often means 20-30 seconds of no audio. On the newer rack based units with no physical interface or when you're forced to place side of stage and mix from a tablet, it also means you can wait 1-2 minutes while a wireless access point restarts before you regain control.

Tom Burgess

« Reply #88 on: January 11, 2016, 11:45:58 AM »

The reason that I have used a UPS was to protect from a brown out or a momentary loss of power...
This happened at a Superbowl a few years right before the halftime show went to air. 
If the band sounds great, it's because the band IS great, if the band sound like crap, it's the soundman's fault.

Opinions expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily those of the company for which I work.

George Dougherty

« Reply #89 on: January 11, 2016, 11:48:21 AM »

Hi Bob,
I have to first admit that I haven't read each entry in this thread, so please excuse me if this has already been asked.
Are you using any type of UPS or voltage regulator for the digital board?
If so, which brand and model?

Thanks,
Robert
CyberPower units are good bang for the buck and for our application their lower actual runtime specs aren't a big deal. Spend the extra on a pure sine wave model.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #89 on: January 11, 2016, 11:48:21 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 18 queries.