ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Soundcraft Performer Q&A  (Read 32189 times)

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
Re: Soundcraft Performer - UPDATE and in the rack.
« Reply #70 on: January 06, 2016, 03:10:38 AM »

However - individual faders set to a group fader - when the group master is pulled to 0 the individual faders are still sending to their individual efx sends
Unless your returns also go to the group.

Steve.

Grant Birchard

• New Destiny Productions
Soundcraft Performer - UPDATE and in the rack.
« Reply #71 on: January 06, 2016, 07:42:37 AM »

Unless your returns also go to the group.

Steve.
Usually an impractical setup though.. since each "group" would't likely have its own single reverb sound. If you're using multiple reverbs unique to groups then, sure... But then if only 1 why not just return it to L/R. VCA's are just a smarter-not-harder choice if your board has them..
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 07:47:30 AM by Grant Birchard »

Steve M Smith

« Reply #72 on: January 06, 2016, 08:07:59 AM »

If you have a group for vocals then the return for the vocal reverb can go to a channel which is also sent to the vocal group.  As you vary the vocal group fader, the vocal reverb varies in proportion.

But yes, I agree, if you are just using e.g. one reverb and one delay for everything, it is more impractical.

Steve.

Grant Birchard

« Reply #73 on: January 06, 2016, 08:40:57 AM »

If you have a group for vocals then the return for the vocal reverb can go to a channel which is also sent to the vocal group.  As you vary the vocal group fader, the vocal reverb varies in proportion.

But yes, I agree, if you are just using e.g. one reverb and one delay for everything, it is more impractical.

Steve.
Exactly. This is the way most of us have overcome the reverb return issue for years and years without the benefits of VCA's built into digital consoles or analog ones for that matter.

But I've gotten so used to having VCA's I can't go back to not having them. ;-) I've become a bit of a snob..

Steve M Smith

« Reply #74 on: January 06, 2016, 09:05:48 AM »

Having said that, I rarely use sub groups or VCAs.  Most of what I do is either small stuff with a small mixer without them or festival quick changeovers with no soundchecks.

The last mixer I used with VCAs was an ML3300 last June.  There were three of us running it and none of us bothered with them.  One evening, a fourth person turned up to do a few hours on it and he started grouping stuff to VCAs whilst we were line checking.

I suppose it's just personal preference.  I'm sure I would use them if I were mixing the same band all the time or a simple gig with just a couple of bands and time for sound checks but when you have fifteen minutes to get the last band off and the next one on and line level checked and you have eighteen acts per day, it's just something else to eat up the precious time!

Watch Dave Rat's video on rock band mixing strategy where he shows how he uses both VCAs and subgroups to great effect.

Steve.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 09:47:12 AM by Steve M Smith »

Grant Birchard

« Reply #75 on: January 06, 2016, 09:41:13 AM »

Yeah . Saw that video a few months ago actually. Good stuff.

And you're right.. Depends on your event type. My mix setting is pretty much the same 50 inputs all the time.. And no rushed set ups. Lots of switchovers to other bands - but minor instrument changes and lots of prep time.

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #76 on: January 06, 2016, 10:41:36 AM »

For Corpy audio, I'll use groups for EQ'ing out feedback on similar sources, leaving channel EQ for tone shaping.

- Jordan Wolf
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Grant Birchard

« Reply #77 on: January 06, 2016, 11:30:03 AM »

For Corpy audio, I'll use groups for EQ'ing out feedback on similar sources, leaving channel EQ for tone shaping.

- Jordan Wolf
Hey Jordan! GREAT idea!!! That's what I love about this forum! I simply never would have thought of that!

Though getting back on topic - one of the beauties of the Soundcraft Vi Series boards is their 31band Digital Graphic EQ applicable to any bus path.

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #78 on: January 06, 2016, 06:27:25 PM »

Hey Jordan! GREAT idea!!! That's what I love about this forum! I simply never would have thought of that!
It's a handy trick, for sure. I still prefer to compress live sources independently, but will sometimes add a higher-threshold, fast-reacting compressor for mic whacks, etc.

Though getting back on topic - one of the beauties of the Soundcraft Vi Series boards is their 31band Digital Graphic EQ applicable to any bus path.
Flexibility is key to a successful event, and anything that makes that possible is awesome.

- Jordan Wolf
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #79 on: January 07, 2016, 04:41:24 AM »

I wish they would make a networking setup for the Ui16 so it can be used as a stagebox similarly to the B stuff.  That would seal the deal for me in getting one.  I could use the Ui for very small bar gigs, and add it to my 24x6 mulitcore when I need the extra monitor mixes or inputs for larger providing things.  If B can do it, why can't Soundcraft?
Assuming you're talking about the XR18, then there isn't an option to use it as a remote stagebox.

While this wouldn't be too much of a technical challenge to implement, my guess has been that the current approach helps market segmentation.  i.e., it's better to keep the low end products as simple low-end.

Why would you buy a "dumb" digital stagebox when you could buy a (UI/XR style) remote mixer that doubles as a digital stagebox for less money?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #79 on: January 07, 2016, 04:41:24 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 19 queries.