ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Soundcraft Performer Q&A  (Read 32193 times)

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
Re: Soundcraft Performer
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2015, 10:55:08 AM »

•  2 ViSi Connect™ option card slots for 128 x 96 input/output paths

I'm guessing this would hold him back.  40 inputs to mix is the limit for the Impact.

True - missed that!

George Dougherty

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2015, 01:39:29 PM »

•  2 ViSi Connect™ option card slots for 128 x 96 input/output paths

I'm guessing this would hold him back.  40 inputs to mix is the limit for the Impact.
OTOH, it might fit the bill exactly since a 32x32 usb interface is built in as well as stagebox connectivity. The bigger question might be the limited number of mix channels.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2015, 01:50:04 PM »

I went from a SI Compact 24 to a Performer 1 and 2.
Absolutely no regrets!
The scribble strips, and 4 full PEQs did it for me.
But the VCAs and fully assignable channel strips really increase the usability.
You can pack everything you want at hand on the top layer.
I put all my drum inputs on layer two with a drum VCA on layer one, fader one. 
I do actually use the DMX occasionally for simple lighting.
The mini Stagebox 32 lets me use the Perf1 for for space limited gigs, without compromising channel count or features.
I have a variety of IO cards for various uses, and having two gives a lot of flexibility.
The Impact has a lot of the features, and I think is a good choice for a lot of situations, but it's not going to be as flexible; the Perf can mix 80 internal channels.

I only have two gripes, which is across all the models:
There aren't effects 'presets'.
You need a shade device to use it outside on a sunny day, even with a tent.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2015, 04:46:07 PM »

I went from a SI Compact 24 to a Performer 1 and 2.
Absolutely no regrets!
The scribble strips, and 4 full PEQs did it for me.
But the VCAs and fully assignable channel strips really increase the usability.
You can pack everything you want at hand on the top layer.
I put all my drum inputs on layer two with a drum VCA on layer one, fader one. 
I do actually use the DMX occasionally for simple lighting.
The mini Stagebox 32 lets me use the Perf1 for for space limited gigs, without compromising channel count or features.
I have a variety of IO cards for various uses, and having two gives a lot of flexibility.
The Impact has a lot of the features, and I think is a good choice for a lot of situations, but it's not going to be as flexible; the Perf can mix 80 internal channels.

All of the above hits the nail on the head. And as much as I don't mind using tape for scribble strips, 50 years and 1000's of miles of the stuff is enough for this old guy.

I just placed my order with Sweetwater and the board will arrive tomorrow in time for a burn in and setup before New Years.

One last thing. Jamin Lynch of JL Sound came across with a first quote better than Sweetwater. Unfortunately the overnight shipping charges made a difference in this case. Jamin worked hard for me and he'll be a source for me in the future. I recommend considering him for your purchases as well.

Does anyone know if I can save my Expression settings to USB and drag them over to the performer?
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2015, 08:36:11 PM »

Yeah, as soon as you start flipping between pages, the tape scribble strips start to get confusing.
The labels also carry into the monitor and effects layers so it's pretty hard to get lost now.

Bob, you'll be happy.  Somehow it feels more substantial too.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Ryan McLeod

« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2015, 10:09:47 PM »

I agree on both effects presets (and the ability to save your own) and the shade on a sunny day.... But when my Performer spent a weekend under a tent with an SD10, they both needed shade ;-)

Jerry Prince

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2015, 10:15:31 PM »

I'm not sure how you transport or have your Expression mounted but the Performer is an inch taller so you need a very deep case or rack mount to hold it.
 I also own a Expression 1 and a Performer 2, I really think your going to love the scribble strips and VCAs on the Performer. Both amazing products and love the sound quality.
I wish I could help with the question about moving files from the Expression to the Performer but I have never tried. I did ask Rick at Soundcraft before I bought my Expression 1 as a monitor and backup board if it was possible and he said it is. Good luck and Happy New Years.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2015, 11:54:34 AM »

Jerry,

I found a nice stage rack at Audiopile that was more than deep enough for the Expression with at least another 2 inches left before the cables hit the lid. It's a very deep slant rack and I think for once in my life everything should work out OK.

FedEx just dropped off the board, so I'll pull it out and upgrade the firmware. My next trick will be to move all of the settings from the Expression to the Performer.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Jerry Prince

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2015, 01:08:02 PM »

Jerry,

I found a nice stage rack at Audiopile that was more than deep enough for the Expression with at least another 2 inches left before the cables hit the lid. It's a very deep slant rack and I think for once in my life everything should work out OK.

FedEx just dropped off the board, so I'll pull it out and upgrade the firmware. My next trick will be to move all of the settings from the Expression to the Performer.

Sounds like we might have the same rack case from Audiopile. Hope you enjoy the new board. Here is a picture of my Expression in the rack case.

Mike Brazeau #2

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2015, 07:06:43 PM »

All of the above hits the nail on the head. And as much as I don't mind using tape for scribble strips, 50 years and 1000's of miles of the stuff is enough for this old guy.

I just placed my order with Sweetwater and the board will arrive tomorrow in time for a burn in and setup before New Years.

One last thing. Jamin Lynch of JL Sound came across with a first quote better than Sweetwater. Unfortunately the overnight shipping charges made a difference in this case. Jamin worked hard for me and he'll be a source for me in the future. I recommend considering him for your purchases as well.

Does anyone know if I can save my Expression settings to USB and drag them over to the performer?

I was able to move my settings from my Expression 1 to my new Impact, so I would guess Yes. :)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2015, 07:06:43 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 24 queries.