ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2 Computer Qlab Redundancy Auto Video Switching?  (Read 5764 times)

Sean Mormelo

2 Computer Qlab Redundancy Auto Video Switching?
« on: December 26, 2015, 04:06:05 PM »

I'm aware of the Radial SW8 for redundant audio switching but is there a ready made system so that my video switches from the main Qlab computer going out 2 Tripplehead2Go's to my backup computer running the same show in sync? I know the audio will switch without a glitch using the Radial but what's the solution for my video? Any ideas?

Cailen Waddell

Re: 2 Computer Qlab Redundancy Auto Video Switching?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2015, 09:33:23 PM »

Extron makes 2 input one output DisplayPort switchers.  They maintain edid to source and I Believe they will auto switch if there is signal loss on an input - but isn't it FAR more likely that qlab will glitch and freeze rather than glitch and stop outputting?   I ask because it may make more sense to rig a device to send an rs232 command to switch rather than rely on auto switching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom Bourke

• http://www.cwalv.com
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2015, 11:18:21 PM »

Find a video switcher that can respond to the contact closure provided by your SW8.  Having said that, on the gigs I do with redundancy we have a person responsible for the switch over.
I have a mild form of Dyslexia that affects my ability to spell.  I do use spell checking to help but it does not always work.  My form of Dyslexia does not affect my reading.  Dyslexics of the world untie! <a href="http://www.cwalv.com" target="_blank">http://www.cwalv.com</a>

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2015, 12:05:54 AM »

Find a video switcher that can respond to the contact closure provided by your SW8.  Having said that, on the gigs I do with redundancy we have a person responsible for the switch over.

Tom has a good idea here since like Cailen said video failure doesn't necessarily mean a lack of video.  Check out the Kramer VS-21DP-IR if display port is what you need.  I'm pretty sure they have other video formats as well.  They tend to have rack friendly small gear (rack mount kit required) and the screw lock power connectors are a lot nicer than the more common friction fit gear.

Sean Mormelo

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2015, 03:44:31 AM »

isn't it FAR more likely that qlab will glitch and freeze rather than glitch and stop outputting?   I ask because it may make more sense to rig a device to send an rs232 command to switch rather than rely on auto switching.

Indeed that does seem more likely and since i'm going to be running identical mac pros in sync audio and video. I have no expertise in the area of rigging a switch but I will have an operator so it's definitely an option should i find someone to make me one.

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2015, 10:19:05 AM »

How will you get the Mac pro's to track?  Will one send OSC or MSC commands to the other? Inquiring minds...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2015, 10:46:50 AM »

How will you get the Mac pro's to track?  Will one send OSC or MSC commands to the other? Inquiring minds...

The normal way is with a midi splitter that send the GO cue to both computers at the same time.

Footswitch controller
Midi splitter

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2015, 01:32:58 PM »

This is a regular topic on the QLab mail list https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/qlab with plenty of suggestions for hardware and configurations.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2015, 03:00:48 PM »

This is a regular topic on the QLab mail list https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/qlab with plenty of suggestions for hardware and configurations.

Where you get answers from the actual developers and the power users who deal with this every day.

Mac

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2015, 03:00:48 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 24 queries.