ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Installed Sound System Configurations - Which of these is the best option?  (Read 9100 times)

Jesse L Friesen

• Green Flamingos
Re: Installed Sound System Configurations - Which of these is the best option?
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2016, 03:02:04 PM »

Ivan has preached the acoustic gospel, but you can to quote mythbusters " reject reality and insert your own".

I don't want to brush off any advice, especially after y'all have spent time to help me.

I'm concerned about placing a speaker in the center that can't handle the low end.. What about a single EV 1152 placed horizontally (the horn can be rotated) and placing the vertical 1122s on the sides as the fills?
JL Friesen

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2016, 07:50:31 PM »

You should look for some software that helps predict how your cabinets might act in a certain space.
  There are some decent free programs out there,some are proprietary to the speaker manufacturer.
 you can try to get a better idea of what You are trying to accomplish.👍
"A mans got to know his limitations"
     and Pray for higher guidance

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2016, 12:25:12 PM »

I don't want to brush off any advice, especially after y'all have spent time to help me.

I'm concerned about placing a speaker in the center that can't handle the low end.. What about a single EV 1152 placed horizontally (the horn can be rotated) and placing the vertical 1122s on the sides as the fills?
With a small rotatable horn, only the top couple of octaves will be affected by the pattern.

So the mid and lower freq will "do as they please".

So the design needs to try to account for this.

It take PHYSICAL SIZE to control the lower freq (DESPITE what some manufacturers might "imply")
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Jesse L Friesen

• Green Flamingos
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2016, 12:37:46 PM »

With a small rotatable horn, only the top couple of octaves will be affected by the pattern.

So the mid and lower freq will "do as they please".

So the design needs to try to account for this.

It take PHYSICAL SIZE to control the lower freq (DESPITE what some manufacturers might "imply")

The 1152 is larger than the 1122s, with a 15" woofer and a larger horn. From what I understand, it's designed to be installed either way.
As far as the mids and lows, that's why I was thinking about using the 1122s as fills vs the much smaller sx80s. While we are talking about low end, we also have an xi-1191 18" subwoofer we could install, along with the equipment for the hi-pass...
JL Friesen

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2016, 01:16:10 PM »

The 1152 is larger than the 1122s, with a 15" woofer and a larger horn. From what I understand, it's designed to be installed either way.
As far as the mids and lows, that's why I was thinking about using the 1122s as fills vs the much smaller sx80s. While we are talking about low end, we also have an xi-1191 18" subwoofer we could install, along with the equipment for the hi-pass...
Just for argument sake

The horn in the 1152 is rated for 60x40.

It looks to have a flare width of about 12".

So using the "basic Keele math" the 40* pattern would be good down to about 2Khz and the 60* pattern good to about 1400Hz.

So below that-the pattern will start to become wider and wider.

So consider that "flipping the horn" will only affect the freq above 2Khz
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2016, 01:16:10 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 24 queries.