ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Meyer UPA-1A rant/help  (Read 20929 times)

Helge A. Bentsen

Re: Meyer UPA-1A rant/help
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2015, 04:13:14 pm »

You'll have to use a HF boost in the M1-A controller to get the correct HF response in the UPA-1C. Never tried that on the A-model, you might want to give it a try. It did wonders on the C-model. You'll fint the boost described in the M1-A manual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2015, 04:13:44 pm »

Consider the fact that a loudspeaker is a MECHANICAL device-just like your car.  You have to replace things on your car to keep it running.

It is amazing to me that they (loudspeakers) last as long as they do.

Without major abuse I see no reason why a plywood box with metal grille shouldn't last nearly forever.  However recone&re-diaphragm the drivers and replace any electrolytics in the passive networks and you should be good to go.

-I'm that guy who's newest car is older than a UPA -but also understands many of the parts in that car are new or rebuilt.  The original straight-6 has also been replaced with a new smallblock back in the early 2000's.

So with that being said, look into replacing the amps and processing with some DSP, surely the Meyer M1a was an analog device with component aging issues too? 
Someone on this board has to have DSP settings that will make the UPA happy?  (yes I know there's loop-back sense lines but are they for more than just limiting?
-and if not, could modern DSP coupled with newer power amps make up for their lack?
(Ashly 500's are a good amp but relatively underpowered by modern standards -especially for your subs)

Also (has been pointed out) foam-due to its construction will rot over time-and that time is not real long.

I don't remember the UPA having any foam surrounds, just the foam covering over the grille.  They run fine without that and can easily be replaced if you feel they are necessary.
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Pierre Olivier

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2015, 05:09:20 pm »

Craig, EVERYTHING I have read says omitting the M1A is an heresy: they're essential for the protection of the drivers and the good sound of the speaker. It cannot be replaced by DSP.
Also, there's not much that can deteriorate in the M1A: there is simply NO electrolytic capacitors in tha unit! (apart from the PSU filters- no audio goes through them). I have however encountered problems with the "sub in" jack that have contacts go dirty and do not let the signal go through them well. 
I'm aware that the Ashly is not the ideal amp for the sub, but that's all I got for the moment.
No, there's no foam surround in the UPA-1A, and I'm not talking about the grille either: there's a foam pad in the throat of the HF horn that's supposed to act as a "lens".

Pierre

gordonmcgregor

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2015, 07:02:41 pm »

Craig, EVERYTHING I have read says omitting the M1A is an heresy: they're essential for the protection of the drivers and the good sound of the speaker. It cannot be replaced by DSP.
Also, there's not much that can deteriorate in the M1A: there is simply NO electrolytic capacitors in tha unit! (apart from the PSU filters- no audio goes through them). I have however encountered problems with the "sub in" jack that have contacts go dirty and do not let the signal go through them well. 
I'm aware that the Ashly is not the ideal amp for the sub, but that's all I got for the moment.
No, there's no foam surround in the UPA-1A, and I'm not talking about the grille either: there's a foam pad in the throat of the HF horn that's supposed to act as a "lens".

Pierre
I wonder if they actually dont have the correct hi drivers but somebody nhas fitted the Radian "equivelent" ignore the stickers on the back who knows what's been done to them in the past, try something for me, reverse the polarity on the high driver and see what happens and yes keep the M1A in line trying to match it with a DSP is a futile excersise IMO  G

Pierre Olivier

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2015, 07:20:36 pm »

I thought about that, Gordon. One of the boxes we got has an other-than-1401A driver, and it sounds very different (much brighter). But it's the LF drivers that actually bothers me the most. Why the quasi-absent bass?

Pierre

Scott Helmke

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2015, 08:16:39 pm »

Woofers can get "tired" - when our MSL4's started having weak bass we ended up replacing the low frequency drivers. Something like a 3dB or more difference between old and new.

Pierre Olivier

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2015, 08:53:39 pm »

Woofers can get "tired" - when our MSL4's started having weak bass we ended up replacing the low frequency drivers. Something like a 3dB or more difference between old and new.
across their spectrum?

Pierre Olivier

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2015, 09:02:56 pm »

How old were they?

MikeHarris

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2015, 05:33:31 am »

If I remember correctly the original HF driver was made by Yamaha, the diaphragm no longer available but a replacement from Radian is. Determine what's in each HF driver and if the jumpers have been removed. I believe the M1A is required as the crossover point varies with level. When properly maintained there are few small boxes that sound as good..even better than current product.
I have a fanatical client who continues to use them every week...paired with Chevin power.
 Where are you ?

Scott Helmke

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2015, 10:10:13 am »

How old were they?

Probably 10 years, I'd guess. And to answer your other question, the SPL loss was roughly even across the driver's spectrum. Maybe more loss off the bottom, don't remember exactly.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2015, 10:10:13 am »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 24 queries.