ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some questions on Video Projection  (Read 1961 times)

Bradford "BJ" James

Some questions on Video Projection
« on: December 21, 2015, 05:27:16 pm »

In the past I've had to tie audio from a laptop that was being used in a corporate presentation.  Also have used some consumer grade projectors in smaller rooms. Very limited experience in this aspect.

I have a couple gigs coming up where I will need to run 2 projectors showing the same material from a laptop. I assume I would run a short mini HDMI from the laptop to a switcher (have used a Kramer unit previously) and then run 2 VGA outs to the projectors. I have a 75' VGA cable and can get a 50' which should be enough to run to each projector.
Just need someone knowledgeable in this to confirm that is correct.
Also, what extra adaptors should I have on hand if I don't know if the presenter will be bringing a PC or a Mac? Also, what is a REALLY cheap wired or wireless cue device? We won't have the budget for a Perfect Cue Micro, Mini or otherwise.
Thanks,
BJ
Proud Canadian dealer for Danley Sound Labs, A&H, Yamaha, QSC, Yorkville and more.

Cailen Waddell

Re: Some questions on Video Projection
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 07:24:12 pm »

Well you don't need a switcher unless you need to switch something.  You need a distribution amp of some kind. And a converter depending in distances. 

If you must come out HDMI do you have to be VGA at the projector?

Option 1:
Convert to VGA and then hit a VGA distribution amp.   A HDMI to VGA converter isn't too expensive, neither is a VGA distribution amp, however a combo unit could be much more expensive.

Option: 2
Convert to SDI and run coax to subsequent SDI to HDMI converters at each projector.   This is my preference... But option 1 sounds closer to the gear you have now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jordan Wolf

Some questions on Video Projection
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 08:40:12 pm »

If you're pushing 1024x768 resolution, You should be fine with VGA if that's what you're stuck using. Using the same lengths for each run is best, in my opinion...that will at least help even out disparities in image quality, and you may be able to fix that with the DA, if it has the feature set.

A DA would be fine, but a switcher with multiple outputs could work just as well provided it's not doing a ton of conversion that causes latency.

A Mini-DisplayPort->VGA converter is always a good idea.

I like the Targus wireless presenter remotes, but so wouldn't trust anything less than a D'San PerfectCue to work over 30ft-50ft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Bradford "BJ" James

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 03:33:13 pm »

Thanks for the info guys.
Proud Canadian dealer for Danley Sound Labs, A&H, Yamaha, QSC, Yorkville and more.

Bradford "BJ" James

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 01:07:31 pm »

Just a couple quick followup questions.
I just got confirmation a presenter is bringing a Macbook. Do all Macbooks have "Mini-DisplayPort" or are there other adaptors I should keep on hand? And is audio still output through the Macbook earphone jack when using Mini- DisplayPort?

That being the case, I should be able to use a Mini-DiplayPort>VGA adaptor (which I have)to a VGA splitter/amp and then out to the 2 projectors.

OR, since I have to rent a second projector anyways, could I just rent one that has a VGA in and a VGA out and run to mine-which only has a VGA in.

Thanks for the guidance.
BJ

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 08:16:58 pm »

Do all Macbooks have "Mini-DisplayPort" or are there other adaptors I should keep on hand?
The brand new MacBooks have only 1 connection for everything...power, display, USB, Ethernet, etc. It's a USB-C connector, and there are Apple adapters available, as well as other non-Appledock type attachments.

I think you're safe with the Thunderbolt adapter for now.

...is audio still output through the Macbook earphone jack when using Mini- DisplayPort?
If using a VGA adapter, yes. If using HDMI, you can choose.

That being the case, I should be able to use a Mini-DiplayPort>VGA adaptor (which I have)to a VGA splitter/amp and then out to the 2 projectors.
Yes, that will work fine.

...could I just rent one that has a VGA in and a VGA out...
Not recommended; most often these are not buffered and there is Lois of signal quality.

- Jordan Wolf
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 08:16:58 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 23 queries.