ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: stacking bandpass sub woofers  (Read 4161 times)

adrian combes

stacking bandpass sub woofers
« on: December 20, 2015, 06:15:18 PM »

Hi, excuse my ignorance but. I have a pair of 12 inch db technologies bandpass subs, my new tops are db tech f315 powered 3 ways or for smaller rooms a pair of 12 inch 300 watt powered boxes. for bigger rooms i need to up my subs but budgets tight and i need to keep the system flexible for different rooms so don't really want to go double 18's or 15's boxes and transporting them would also add an issue . i was thinking of picking up a pair of 15 inch db tech subs and stacking the 12'subs on top with the f315's on top of those. I know the db tech stuff isn't that well known in the usa but they are made in italy by rcf and I've found them to be good value and reasonably good quality for the money. we run a 5 piece rock band and use a soundcraft ui16 mixer anyone got thoughts on stacking bandpass bins?

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Posting Rules
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 06:39:33 PM »

Hi, excuse my ignorance

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
Re: stacking bandpass sub woofers
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 09:00:08 AM »

Hi, excuse my ignorance but. I have a pair of 12 inch db technologies bandpass subs, my new tops are db tech f315 powered 3 ways or for smaller rooms a pair of 12 inch 300 watt powered boxes. for bigger rooms i need to up my subs but budgets tight and i need to keep the system flexible for different rooms so don't really want to go double 18's or 15's boxes and transporting them would also add an issue . i was thinking of picking up a pair of 15 inch db tech subs and stacking the 12'subs on top with the f315's on top of those. I know the db tech stuff isn't that well known in the usa but they are made in italy by rcf and I've found them to be good value and reasonably good quality for the money. we run a 5 piece rock band and use a soundcraft ui16 mixer anyone got thoughts on stacking bandpass bins?
Stacking bandpass subs is not an issue but stacking different subs can be a problem.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

adrian combes

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 07:19:44 AM »

Is there anyone on here who has a set of db technologies f315 top bins . if so what subs are you running. I'm now considering their S20 double 18's or 4 x their sub18D. the S20's I love but scaleability is an issue with the 4 x18D I can downsize to 2 according to the room. any other f315 owners on here I would like to hear what you've used.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 09:45:58 AM »

Stacking bandpass subs is not an issue but stacking different subs can be a problem.
Agreed

It may or may not be a problem.

Due to the fact that the different subs might be tuned to different freq, that would mean that the phase response is most likely different.

How much different will determine whether or not they will couple or cancel at certain freq.

The best way is to measure them and see.

I know that is not always easy.

If you know anybody who has some of what you are looking at-then get together with them and put the 2 systems together and see if you get good addition or not.

BE SURE to use a variety of different types of music-so that you can hear a wide range of freq.

You will most likely get addition at some freq-so that can make it sound "louder" and that is generally a good thing.

But does it sound "better", that is a much harder question to answer.

Maybe if you know somebody who could come measure the setup-each cabinet individually and together.

That would give you a lot of good information to make a decision with.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 09:45:58 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 24 queries.