ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Whats your favorite budget "effect" light  (Read 4412 times)

Jerome Casinger

• Castle Rock DJ and Sound
Whats your favorite budget "effect" light
« on: December 19, 2015, 08:56:20 AM »

Looking to expand my lighting rig ever so slightly.  I picked up a bunch of the cheapo LEDs after having some issues with Blizzards, and they have really been a great light with zero problems.  Looking to add just a couple effects lights, but I am a sound guy at heart and take personal recommendations more than youtube clips etc with all the options out there. 

Just looking for something to add to the light show, we have the talent well lit.  What's your favorite or most versatile effect light?  Easy to maintain etc.

Currently I am running 12 10watt RGBAW LEDs, Wireless set up (which is awesome), and Showxpress software.  The LEDs are permanent wired on Trees.  Would like the effect lights to loose where I can just put them on an open space on the stage if possible but if I have to add them to the T Bars that would be fine.

Note- the truss in the picture only goes up when my band plays, therefore I don't really want to utilize it for lights.

Budget...probably 1k or so.

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
Re: Whats your favorite budget "effect" light
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2015, 12:28:37 PM »

The new Martin Rush Wizard is a great effects light that will fit your budget. It's an LED version of the original Wizard, but much brighter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Axl Dimitrijevic

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2015, 03:43:18 PM »

What kind of effect are you looking for?

Are you trying to get 1 light for 1k or multiple lights?

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2015, 04:09:09 PM »

Read the rules, fix your display name.

Thank you for your cooperation.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Jerome Casinger

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2015, 05:06:04 PM »

I imagine multiple lights would look better than one, but then again I have not followed the lighting stuff so maybe there is one light that is just awesome?  Just looking to add a little interest to the rig than just the LEDs

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2015, 07:14:46 PM »

+1 on the Wizard Rush (though I believe it's a 130w short-arc discharge lamp and not LED).  I know I've said in several threads here I really like my EFX series of effects from Martin too (particularly the EFX600).  Either one is extremely versatile and highly effective.  The only catch is that they're slightly heavy, so make sure your stands/truss can hold the added weight.  On smaller shows I usually clamp my EFX600s to the center mast of each tripod and have never had a problem.  Hope this helps! 

Jerome Casinger

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2015, 08:54:48 AM »

+1 on the Wizard Rush (though I believe it's a 130w short-arc discharge lamp and not LED).  I know I've said in several threads here I really like my EFX series of effects from Martin too (particularly the EFX600).  Either one is extremely versatile and highly effective.  The only catch is that they're slightly heavy, so make sure your stands/truss can hold the added weight.  On smaller shows I usually clamp my EFX600s to the center mast of each tripod and have never had a problem.  Hope this helps!

Do you guys think these would be better than a scanner or two or couple moving heads? I have never seen these "live", looking at the videos they definitely have some nice sharp beams etc.

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2015, 09:01:56 AM »

Better than any moving head(s) you can get for $1k total.

I would suggest a Rush Wizard and the best Hazer you can afford. The Hazer is probably going to make the biggest difference once you get a couple 'moving' lights. Without haze you'll only see the lights on the ceiling and walls.

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2015, 10:33:34 AM »

Ultratec radiance is the best budget hazer out there these days...  Better than a df50, cheaper than the MDG....

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2015, 11:50:11 AM »

Better than any moving head(s) you can get for $1k total.

Concur.  The biggest thing to keep in mind is that units such as the Wizard Rush throw dozens of beams all over the room, so while I won't go so far as to say "full room coverage", it's pretty near close.  You won't be disappointed with these.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2015, 11:50:11 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 24 queries.