ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Shure ULXD noise with bodypacks  (Read 8742 times)

John L Nobile

Shure ULXD noise with bodypacks
« on: December 14, 2015, 05:07:32 PM »

Getting a loud hiss on a couple of ULXD bodypacks that goes away when the antenna touches the performers skin. Only seems to affect 2 of 5 mics and they go quiet when the grab the antenna. Is that a bad antenna or do they take too many iron pills?

Milt Hathaway

• http://www.fitzcosound.com
Re: Shure ULXD noise with bodypacks
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 06:46:20 PM »

That's odd. I've never heard a bit of noise out of mine ever, in even the worst situations. Are they all on the latest (and matching) firmware? Have you tried retuning?
--
Milt
FitzCo Sound, Inc.
Midland, TX
http://www.fitzcosound.com

John L Nobile

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 07:01:40 PM »

I've tried retuning. Numerous times. I was going to check the firmware next. It's kind of weird.

Scott Helmke

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 10:03:46 AM »

Tried using different mics on those packs?

John L Nobile

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 10:28:26 AM »

Tried using different mics on those packs?

I haven't. I don't think that it's a mic noise problem. It's a steady hiss that goes away when the antenna touches their body. I've moved my paddles around and retuned the 2 packs a few times. I'll try swapping antennas with packs that don't make noise next.

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2015, 12:05:44 PM »

Could it be rf-noise entering the analog preamp in tbe mic? When touching the antenna you divert some of the rf so it may not induce noise into the analog circuit.

John L Nobile

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2015, 01:17:12 PM »

Could it be rf-noise entering the analog preamp in tbe mic? When touching the antenna you divert some of the rf so it may not induce noise into the analog circuit.

Interesting thought. I'm using Crown CM311's and never had that problem after many years of use.

I'm going to update the firmware today. 3 quad units.

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2015, 02:03:53 PM »

are you also using the same crown mics on the same body packs ?  take one that does not make noise and move to one that has hissssss. 

John L Nobile

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2015, 05:10:58 PM »

I finished my firmware updates. 12 mics and I gotta say it feels weird updating the transmitters using IR, but it worked. Still gotta do the guitar and bass.

Noise was still there so I played with a few units (Crown CM311) and found that the noise was induced when the inline preamp (I think that's what it is) was near or touching the body pack. As I've been using these mics for years I'm going to assume that it's another QC problem since AKG bought them. I'm going to have to find another mic. 8 of them and so far I've yet to find anything that works as well as the Crown.  :(

Now that I think about it, could be the wiring in the TA4F connector. I'll have to check that tonight.

Jens Palm Bacher

• Lydfabrikken
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2015, 06:08:49 AM »

I finished my firmware updates. 12 mics and I gotta say it feels weird updating the transmitters using IR, but it worked. Still gotta do the guitar and bass.

Noise was still there so I played with a few units (Crown CM311) and found that the noise was induced when the inline preamp (I think that's what it is) was near or touching the body pack. As I've been using these mics for years I'm going to assume that it's another QC problem since AKG bought them. I'm going to have to find another mic. 8 of them and so far I've yet to find anything that works as well as the Crown.  :(

Now that I think about it, could be the wiring in the TA4F connector. I'll have to check that tonight.
http://shure.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4903/~/ulxd1-bodypack-transmitter-and-crown-headset-mic---i-hear-noise

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2015, 06:08:49 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 21 queries.