ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Shure ULXD noise with bodypacks  (Read 8742 times)

John L Nobile

Re: Shure ULXD noise with bodypacks
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2015, 09:33:51 AM »

http://shure.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4903/~/ulxd1-bodypack-transmitter-and-crown-headset-mic---i-hear-noise

Thanks for that link. It's from 3 years ago when I was using U4D systems with no problems. I have been having noise since I got the ulxd's but I thought I had things working by moving antennas and changing frequency. But the noise always came back.
Problem solved. I should have googled it a year ago. Guess I'll have to find new headsets.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2015, 10:00:32 AM »

Thanks for that link. It's from 3 years ago when I was using U4D systems with no problems. I have been having noise since I got the ulxd's but I thought I had things working by moving antennas and changing frequency. But the noise always came back.
Problem solved. I should have googled it a year ago. Guess I'll have to find new headsets.
How close do the antennas have to be to the mic cable to induce noise?
could you orient the pack belt clips so they hang upside down and run the mic cable directly up and away from the pack?
I don't care enough to be apathetic

John L Nobile

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2015, 04:59:23 PM »

How close do the antennas have to be to the mic cable to induce noise?
could you orient the pack belt clips so they hang upside down and run the mic cable directly up and away from the pack?

It seems to be when the inline preamp is near any part of the pack. And it's maybe a foot away from the jack.

I called AKG today and left a message. I emailed them a while back to complain about the build quality but never got a reply so I'm not expecting an answer.

John L Nobile

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2015, 10:33:06 PM »

I called AKG again today and they returned my call. Third time a charm. I explained the issue which he had never heard about and sent him the link that Jens posted. (thanks so much for that Jens)
He's going to talk to his engineers about this and also about the build quality that has gone downhill since they bought Crown.
I hope to see them address and fix these issues but in the meantime I'm going to check out other mics. We have probably averaged 3 new mics a year for almost 20 years. At first we'd go through one or 2 a year but I've ordered 6 this year and last and I'm down to one spare.
I still love the sound of them though.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2015, 02:18:46 PM »

I called AKG again today and they returned my call. Third time a charm. I explained the issue which he had never heard about and sent him the link that Jens posted. (thanks so much for that Jens)
He's going to talk to his engineers about this and also about the build quality that has gone downhill since they bought Crown.
I hope to see them address and fix these issues but in the meantime I'm going to check out other mics. We have probably averaged 3 new mics a year for almost 20 years. At first we'd go through one or 2 a year but I've ordered 6 this year and last and I'm down to one spare.
I still love the sound of them though.

AKG is a Harman brand, so is Crown.  It's not that AKG "bought" the CM series but that Harman decided microphone business belonged under the umbrella of AKG, as microphones are their primary product.  I think the corporate-speak is "realignment".

Man, I wish Sidney Harman was still alive and running the company...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

John L Nobile

« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2015, 04:02:32 PM »

Here's the reply I got from AKG

It was stated in the answer – only a CM 311 redesign would solve this problem.

I dont think that this will happen, so maybe it helps to shield the EQ module with self glueing chopper band ( or any similar …).

To all of you merry christmas and I am back in the office 12.1.2016.

What is a "self gluing chopper band"? 

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2015, 05:03:09 PM »

Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

John L Nobile

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2015, 08:05:08 PM »

Copper foil tape

Thanks so much for that. I suppose "chopper" was a typo. I'll give it a try. I did try aluminum foil with no affect. Never thought of copper.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2015, 08:05:08 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 16 queries.