ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Any djs using Danley SM 80's  (Read 20289 times)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Any djs using Danley SM 80's
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2015, 06:08:23 PM »

I am curious about the SM96 vs SM 80 as well.
Heard a rig with 2xSM80 over 6 TH118s and it sounded spectacular.
Installed 20 OS80s in an arena and it sounded great.
However, it seems to me the SM96, while a couple of db down, has better low freq. response and might have better low freq. pattern control.
This is where the "simple numbers" can get you in trouble.

In reality, the SM80 can get quite a bit louder than the SM96

Yes the SM96 has a wider freq response.  It is meant to be able to be used as a stand alone full range speaker-while the SM80 was intended to be used with subs.

In regards to the pattern control, the correct answer is that is both better and worse with the SM96 (over the SM80)

In the horizontal it is better-because the pattern is wider and the physical size of the horn is larger.

But in the vertical it is worse (meaning not going as low) because the pattern is narrower AND the physical size is smaller.

So once again-It depends
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

John L Nobile

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2015, 07:08:54 PM »

With the SM80s I have to run my sub xover a little higher than I like. The sm96s would let me run the subs a little lower but that would probably mean less spl to the tops.
It's a matter of useage. Do you need more spl or more bottom range?
I chose spl and am very happy with the results. The largest audience I've done with SM80s is 400 in a large room. Still had headroom and actually had complaints about the volume.

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2015, 08:27:59 PM »

Here's a video of an install we just did this afternoon. It's just a single OS80 (basically a weatherized version of the SM80) behind home plate at a high school baseball stadium.

https://www.facebook.com/AvantSI/videos/1100936999917141/?notif_t=like

The system was roughly 2/3 of the way up, and I start out about 250' out and walk to maybe 350' out. As I get closer to the fence you can hear the reflections off the fence itself, the portable classrooms, and the scoreboard all start to get pretty nasty. I didn't realize it at the time, but I'm cupping the mic of the phone a little bit. This is before any EQ as it was raining and I didn't want to set up my measurement rig. We'll head back later this week to align the system and take some db readings.

Tamar Ghobria

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2015, 06:17:31 AM »

Yes the SM96 has a wider freq response.  It is meant to be able to be used as a stand alone full range speaker-while the SM80 was intended to be used with subs.

In regards to the pattern control, the correct answer is that is both better and worse with the SM96 (over the SM80)

In the horizontal it is better-because the pattern is wider and the physical size of the horn is larger.

But in the vertical it is worse (meaning not going as low) because the pattern is narrower AND the physical size is smaller.

So once again-It depends

Ivan are the SM 80  and TH 118's currently in stock or still made to order?

Tamar Ghobria

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2015, 06:23:32 AM »

With the SM80s I have to run my sub xover a little higher than I like. The sm96s would let me run the subs a little lower but that would probably mean less spl to the tops.
It's a matter of useage. Do you need more spl or more bottom range?
I chose spl and am very happy with the results. The largest audience I've done with SM80s is 400 in a large room. Still had headroom and actually had complaints about the volume.

John what kind of amps are you using?

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2015, 07:22:50 AM »

Ivan are the SM 80  and TH 118's currently in stock or still made to order?
Like most Danley products they are made to order.

We do plan on having the plastic boxes in stock for the normal colors/configurations.  So those will be very short delivery times.

The times varies depending on current production schedules.  I "think" 2-3 weeks is standard.  Sometimes a little less-sometimes a little more.
But when an order is placed, the office can tell you what the time line is.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

John L Nobile

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2015, 08:46:08 AM »

John what kind of amps are you using?

I use my LG fp10000qs for the SM80s and DBH218's. That's my portable system. Those amps normally power SH96HO's.

John L Nobile

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2015, 09:14:21 AM »

Here's a video of an install we just did this afternoon. It's just a single OS80 (basically a weatherized version of the SM80) behind home plate at a high school baseball stadium.

The system was roughly 2/3 of the way up, and I start out about 250' out and walk to maybe 350' out. As I get closer to the fence you can hear the reflections off the fence itself, the portable classrooms, and the scoreboard all start to get pretty nasty. I didn't realize it at the time, but I'm cupping the mic of the phone a little bit. This is before any EQ as it was raining and I didn't want to set up my measurement rig. We'll head back later this week to align the system and take some db readings.

Watched the clip. Very impressive. I'd say mission accomplished!

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2015, 10:35:47 AM »

Went down to Ohio last summer to hear some SM80s outdoors...2 SM80 over 6 TH118.
The most interesting thing, other than the quality of the sound, is that when out about 200',  you close your eyes the sound seems much closer than it actually is.
I attribute this to the cohesiveness of the spectrum distribution.
I really need to get a pair!
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Tamar Ghobria

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2015, 10:52:04 AM »

So once again-It depends

is their a way to create an SM 80 without such a wide dispersion...I would love to be able to keep my sound limited to the dance floor

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2015, 10:52:04 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 25 queries.