ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pro Lightshow for 6 Piece Corp/Wedding band  (Read 17199 times)

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Re: Pro Lightshow for 6 Piece Corp/Wedding band
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2015, 12:37:03 PM »

We run 16 led bars, 8 movers, 4 200 watt led blinders, and a hazer on one 20 amp circuit all the time.

Those figures will be "maximum possible" amp draw. When the psu is filling its caps plus every light on full and every motor running full tilt.

You'll never see that kind of draw under normal use.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Steve Garris

« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2015, 01:26:56 PM »

We run 16 led bars, 8 movers, 4 200 watt led blinders, and a hazer on one 20 amp circuit all the time.

Those figures will be "maximum possible" amp draw. When the psu is filling its caps plus every light on full and every motor running full tilt.

I wondered about that. Reading this thread made me worry I was living on the edge. I run my JBL PRX PA, 5 or 6 powered monitors, stage power, and a small LED light show - all on (1) standard 15 amp breaker, sometimes at the end of a 100 ft cable.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2015, 05:32:51 PM »

Reading this thread made me worry I was living on the edge. I run my JBL PRX PA, 5 or 6 powered monitors, stage power, and a small LED light show - all on (1) standard 15 amp breaker, sometimes at the end of a 100 ft cable.

I wouldn't necessarily say that's living on the edge, but I wouldn't call it best practice either.  I'd at least try to get the lights and sound on separate circuits whenever possible, but on the flip side, after learning the hard way enough times I try to be conservative when loading circuits!

Right, so wouldn't the 'real world' consumption of these units be much closer to the wattage of their LED, especially given that these aren't additive mixing units?  I still can't see a 75w basic mover pulling almost 300w though, despite being a rather instantaneous draw versus average consumption.

So reading back through all of this, it looks like the OP is considering the following system:

2x Intimidator Spot 355Z
4x Chauvet Intimidator Wash 350Z
12x Blizzard Hotboxs
2x Inno Pocket Z4
Misc. other effects

Yeah, after looking that over I'd agree with you Tim that this can probably fit on a single circuit.  For some reason I was thinking 6 of each mover listed above...  I'd still probably split this into 2 circuits if available, but it's much more do-able on one than what I was envisioning.  Worst case just use a few less Hotboxes and you'll definitely be good.  I still suggest that Sean gets himself a volt/amp/watt meter if he didn't already and measure the units' consumption himself to see how much margin he'd have.  I've always found it handy to know that sort of thing, especially when power gets tight! 

Sean Mormelo

« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2015, 07:21:12 PM »

I wouldn't necessarily say that's living on the edge, but I wouldn't call it best practice either.  I'd at least try to get the lights and sound on separate circuits whenever possible, but on the flip side, after learning the hard way enough times I try to be conservative when loading circuits!

Right, so wouldn't the 'real world' consumption of these units be much closer to the wattage of their LED, especially given that these aren't additive mixing units?  I still can't see a 75w basic mover pulling almost 300w though, despite being a rather instantaneous draw versus average consumption.

So reading back through all of this, it looks like the OP is considering the following system:

2x Intimidator Spot 355Z
4x Chauvet Intimidator Wash 350Z
12x Blizzard Hotboxs
2x Inno Pocket Z4
Misc. other effects

Yeah, after looking that over I'd agree with you Tim that this can probably fit on a single circuit.  For some reason I was thinking 6 of each mover listed above...  I'd still probably split this into 2 circuits if available, but it's much more do-able on one than what I was envisioning.  Worst case just use a few less Hotboxes and you'll definitely be good.  I still suggest that Sean gets himself a volt/amp/watt meter if he didn't already and measure the units' consumption himself to see how much margin he'd have.  I've always found it handy to know that sort of thing, especially when power gets tight! 

Thanks Jeff, I will absolutely get a meter in my kit!!!

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2015, 07:54:22 PM »

No worries!  This is the one I use when getting benchmarks on fixture consumption:

http://www.amazon.com/P3-P4400-Electricity-Usage-Monitor/dp/B00009MDBU/ref=pd_sim_469_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=41ygaCtJwVL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=05DXVK5CHDXFCD82M1Y8

It's not the fanciest thing in the world, but will display watts, volts, and amps along with a few other metrics.  They make nicer ones that clamp on the cord instead of plug into it as well as record peak consumption, but you'll spend much more for something like that if you want a good one.  For less than $20 it's nice to have a ballpark figure for the 'real world' power consumption of your equipment!

Edit to add that this unit is only good for 120v and 15A.  If you prefer one that can do up to 600v and 400A they're out there!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 08:01:22 PM by Jeff Lelko »

Nate Armstrong

« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2015, 11:05:40 AM »

Sean, I don't see a hazer in your budget. I know you said some hotel / wedding events wont allow it.
IMHO a great hazer is the key to a great light show.

Everyone has opinions on hazers they like. I really like our Martin Jem K1 hazers and they auto clean out at shut off.
They now have a smaller model as well

http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/272110-Martin-Professional-JEM-Hazer-Pro?utm_source=googleps&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=googleps&gclid=Cj0KEQiA-4i0BRCaudDcrrnDi6kBEiQAZSh5f6s_QXsbbkNEfSi5IeW4ippD3NmurcUlL6H-vDFi9bsaAuni8P8HAQ

Sean Mormelo

« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2015, 06:50:18 PM »

Sean, I don't see a hazer in your budget. I know you said some hotel / wedding events wont allow it.
IMHO a great hazer is the key to a great light show.

Everyone has opinions on hazers they like. I really like our Martin Jem K1 hazers and they auto clean out at shut off.
They now have a smaller model as well

http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/272110-Martin-Professional-JEM-Hazer-Pro?utm_source=googleps&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=googleps&gclid=Cj0KEQiA-4i0BRCaudDcrrnDi6kBEiQAZSh5f6s_QXsbbkNEfSi5IeW4ippD3NmurcUlL6H-vDFi9bsaAuni8P8HAQ

We're definitely going to get one but from what i'm hearing none of the venues that I'll play allow it. I'm sure there will be some outside weddings and events where we can use them. I imagine I should get a couple for outside events though right?

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2015, 11:33:22 PM »

In the real world, you would add up the total LED power and then add 10-15 percent for PSU efficiency, and then add a little more for fans and motors. But yeah, a 75 watt led mover would probably run at an average of 100 watts or so all night.

Also, don't be fooled into thinking that just because those are 10 watt cree leds that you are using all ten watts! Most fixtures will under-drive those leds to have a safety margin for their QC. Not every led will take its full rated power, so they don't give it the full beans!
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2015, 11:33:22 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 25 queries.