ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Pro Lightshow for 6 Piece Corp/Wedding band  (Read 17274 times)

Rob Gow

Re: Pro Lightshow for 6 Piece Corp/Wedding band
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2015, 05:01:17 PM »

Here's my light rig. Controlled by DMXIS.

http://youtu.be/JnbvcdGOG1I

Can be scaled up or down depending on the room, the available power, the headroom. Uses 2 20A outlets.

Costs:
Lights:
11 - 3NX = $2750
4 - Fab5 = $1000
4- Minimac Profiles = $2200
4 - Spot Duos = $2600
2 - Stands = $600
2 - 8' truss = $400
DMXIS = $300
Cases: $1000
Safety  & DMX Cables = $150
--------------------------
Subtotal: $11,000
GST: $550
Total: $11,550

« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 05:04:49 PM by Rob Gow »

Sean Mormelo

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2015, 08:55:42 PM »

Here's my light rig. Controlled by DMXIS.

http://youtu.be/JnbvcdGOG1I

Can be scaled up or down depending on the room, the available power, the headroom. Uses 2 20A outlets.

Costs:
Lights:
11 - 3NX = $2750
4 - Fab5 = $1000
4- Minimac Profiles = $2200
4 - Spot Duos = $2600
2 - Stands = $600
2 - 8' truss = $400
DMXIS = $300
Cases: $1000
Safety  & DMX Cables = $150
--------------------------
Subtotal: $11,000
GST: $550
Total: $11,550

Nice stuff. I've seen your stuff on Harmony Central too. I noticed that you don't have much in the way of front lighting though. Do you find you don't need it?
I considered the crank stand trussing in the back as well but since our stanges will at the smallest be at least 2 times the longer than the one in the picture the logistics of it dictated against.

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2015, 09:30:48 AM »

There is no reason with the correct crank stands you can not suspend a 30' or even 40' stick of truss. 

If you don't want truss on stands I understand, but don't think it isn't achievable. 

Do you have a budget?   I ask because I recently spent about 100k putting just lighting fixtures in a 200 seat venue.  I guess you don't have that kind of money and that's ok, but it will limit what you can achieve. 

I recommend you stop thinking specific gear for the moment.  Look at you set list.  Think about the moods you want to create for every song.  Then look at colors, beam shapes, make little sketches that achieve those moods, then you start to look at what your requirements are for fixtures.  I need X of sharpie type beams, I need X wash units.  Then you start to look at where those lights need to go, and how to support them.  Then you have to find lights whose beams and brightness are sufficient for your use.  If you need a big wide wash light with a 35 degree field angle in order to light the band, then it's going to limit and change your options.    Then you end up with an equipment list and a plot and can start getting gear. 

In reality I don't expect you to necessarily go through that design exercise.  I think your show would be much better for it, but it's also the work a qualified designer would do for you...   And it's not easy for those they don't have the experience. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob Gow

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2015, 01:08:37 PM »

Nice stuff. I've seen your stuff on Harmony Central too. I noticed that you don't have much in the way of front lighting though. Do you find you don't need it?
I considered the crank stand trussing in the back as well but since our stanges will at the smallest be at least 2 times the longer than the one in the picture the logistics of it dictated against.

For lights on the band, If it's a smaller stage we get by with one Blizzard Hotbox RGBAW per side. Amber at 100% white at 80%. I keep the same front lights for all the scenes so it stays constant. I'm able to back off the lights on the band with a "volume"pedal so it works out pretty good.

On a bigger stage I use 2 Blizzard Fab5's per side on a T-Bar. Sometimes in smaller places a Tbar stand is too much of a tripping hazard. Here's the 2 fab5's, with the band in silhouette.

http://youtu.be/3gsTCzK26kg
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 01:16:01 PM by Rob Gow »

Sean Mormelo

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2015, 05:59:58 PM »

There is no reason with the correct crank stands you can not suspend a 30' or even 40' stick of truss. 

If you don't want truss on stands I understand, but don't think it isn't achievable. 

Do you have a budget?   I ask because I recently spent about 100k putting just lighting fixtures in a 200 seat venue.  I guess you don't have that kind of money and that's ok, but it will limit what you can achieve. 

I recommend you stop thinking specific gear for the moment.  Look at you set list.  Think about the moods you want to create for every song.  Then look at colors, beam shapes, make little sketches that achieve those moods, then you start to look at what your requirements are for fixtures.  I need X of sharpie type beams, I need X wash units.  Then you start to look at where those lights need to go, and how to support them.  Then you have to find lights whose beams and brightness are sufficient for your use.  If you need a big wide wash light with a 35 degree field angle in order to light the band, then it's going to limit and change your options.    Then you end up with an equipment list and a plot and can start getting gear. 

In reality I don't expect you to necessarily go through that design exercise.  I think your show would be much better for it, but it's also the work a qualified designer would do for you...   And it's not easy for those they don't have the experience. 

Thanks Calien....

I totally agree with everything you said so I guess I must be learning something!!! ;) That said, so far we went to a stage and lighting dealer here in Orlando and they helped us design a system within our budget that they thought would work for our given needs. We were going to see what they came back with then take it to a few other dealers/designers and see what they say. Now these places are all dealers/designers so they have a vested interest in us buying their gear. I'd Love to consult with an independent LD in the area, design the system based our our stage plot THEN take it to the dealers to see who's the best fit. Know anyone in Central FL?

As for our Budget, to be honest, no one that I have seen is doing anything remotely pro level for a light show unless they rent and the event is big. The typical corporate/Wedding band around here has a few movers IF THAT and some wash. The show MIGHT be running via DMXIS but it's probably just on sound activation. Really lame...We have 15 feet of video wall behind us so that adds some wash too...We're trying to stay at $10K for lights. We could afford more but there's really no upside starting out. We can only afford one lighting tech and one FOH sound tech to start and there are power and set up time concerns as well. So there's the box. Surprisingly, I've found a multitude of alternatives so far within our budget that should get us started...Basic Wash, some movers to create energy and excitement, a couple effect lights for dance Floor, drum riser, uplighting for 4 Glo Totems on back wall and 2 out front, 6 moving fixtures, bars on drum riser, something on the floor.. Nothing too crazy but it should do the trick and set up fairly fast and easily.

We have plotted the stage out, planned the video, have space for the lights, etc...It's really planned out extensively because our whole show is planned out. Equipment, Audio, Video, Lights, logistics, cases, Truck, trailer, yada yada...
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 06:11:02 PM by Sean Mormelo »

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2015, 01:57:27 PM »

This system can fit in places with a tall ceiling ie over 10', or can be stacked in a "T" shape that is about 7' tall to the top of the lights. It can be run off of 1 20amp circuit if we only use 1 hazer, and loads in in about 20 minutes with 4 people doing the grunt work. Then our LD cables it and gets it up and running within an hour or so.

Really, 4 people carry it in. 2 build it, 1 cables it. All in all its about a 1.5 hour process working at a leisurely pace.

Here it is tall:
http://youtu.be/QGLWjU0PuCs

Here it is short:
http://youtu.be/7zxzAsEyhis

Here it is being used with a bigger "pro" rig:
http://youtu.be/x2Xq58hN4hk

Those are platinum beam 5r's and Mac101's on the rest of the stage. So our little rig certainly has enough brightness to compete with some of the best.

Our rig is comprised of 8 pieces of Global Truss F34 at 1.5 meters (5 foot) on 4 bases. I did this so we could break it up in those places with low ceilings.

I have 4 pieces of 2" sch40 pipe that are 5' long. These are what the lights hang from on the tall setup. I just got this at home depot and cut 2 pipes in half to get the sections.

The 16 Irradiant RGBA bars stay mounted inside the truss and stay cabled. Saves a lot of time.

The 8 Chauvet Legend 412's ride in a case and get hung every show.

This show does require 2 universes if you run it like we do. Those led pixel bars eat up a lot of channels, but the effect is worth it.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2015, 07:10:45 PM »

I'm not sure if 10k will get you everything you want.  It certainly could, but you might have to compromise on a few things (either output, brand name, fixture count, etc.).  Any decent, name-brand mover (even ADJ and Chauvet) will start in the 1k/ea. range and go up quickly.  There are cheaper options of course, but you'll be sacrificing output or brand name.  Something along the lines of the ADJ Inno Spot Pro would be the lowest output I'd recommend for what I think you're looking to do (assuming you use haze), and those are still just shy of 1k/ea.  That's 6k right there, plus at least another 2k for your totems.  Add another $500-1k for clamps, cables, cheap cases, etc., and that leaves you less than 1k for anything else.  DJ-grade lighting isn't a bad thing, and you can read all about the pros and cons of buying ebay lights around here.  You said yourself that it's hard to justify spending more when your competition has nothing (and I agree), so I'm sure your clients will be thrilled to see a nice show, even if it's a mix of DJ lighting and ebay lights. 

As far as local LDs to discuss this with - you're talking to one!  There are plenty of others here too, many of which have far more experience than I do, so I welcome engaging the forum to get a broad range of perspectives.  Why not post a picture of your plot and see what kind of suggestions you get?

Tim, not to derail this thread or anything, but how are your 2" pipes attached to the box truss?  Is the pipe anything special such as The Light Source product or is it just generic Home Depot pipe, and would that be strong enough to hold a 50 pound mover on each side?

-Jeff

Sean Mormelo

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2015, 08:37:08 PM »

I'm not sure if 10k will get you everything you want.  It certainly could, but you might have to compromise on a few things (either output, brand name, fixture count, etc.).  Any decent, name-brand mover (even ADJ and Chauvet) will start in the 1k/ea. range and go up quickly.  There are cheaper options of course, but you'll be sacrificing output or brand name.  Something along the lines of the ADJ Inno Spot Pro would be the lowest output I'd recommend for what I think you're looking to do (assuming you use haze), and those are still just shy of 1k/ea.  That's 6k right there, plus at least another 2k for your totems.  Add another $500-1k for clamps, cables, cheap cases, etc., and that leaves you less than 1k for anything else.  DJ-grade lighting isn't a bad thing, and you can read all about the pros and cons of buying ebay lights around here.  You said yourself that it's hard to justify spending more when your competition has nothing (and I agree), so I'm sure your clients will be thrilled to see a nice show, even if it's a mix of DJ lighting and ebay lights. 

As far as local LDs to discuss this with - you're talking to one!  There are plenty of others here too, many of which have far more experience than I do, so I welcome engaging the forum to get a broad range of perspectives.  Why not post a picture of your plot and see what kind of suggestions you get?

Tim, not to derail this thread or anything, but how are your 2" pipes attached to the box truss?  Is the pipe anything special such as The Light Source product or is it just generic Home Depot pipe, and would that be strong enough to hold a 50 pound mover on each side?

-Jeff

Hey Jeff....

Thanks! The dealer here said they can do better than retail from anyone on the web so I have to assume as a package deal paying all at once I'll do better. Here's what I've put together so far.

I'm thinking of Starting with 4 Glo Totems, 2.5 Meter on the back wall, and 2 front left and right.. I can get them for $796.40 for two. So we'll Say $2400. http://www.idjnow.com/2-trusst-glo-totem-2-5.html

To go on top of the outside Totems I want 4 Chauvet Intimidator Wash 350Z's. I can get 2 with case for $1790 So lets say 4 in cases for $3600
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-CVT-INTMWSHZ350X2?src=Y0802G00SRCHCAPN&gclid=Cj0KEQiAhuSzBRDBoZfG56bK9-YBEiQARiPcZfU05T3FYT5YEROirzIHo5mARQ86Bw2xG3wTPezik8AaAolP8P8HAQ

For the inside totems back wall just behind the drummer I want to go with Spots with Gobos for special rotating beam effects, shining Gobos on walls, floors etc. Chauvet Intimidator 355Z, 2 with cases, clamps, cables is $2250 http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/Chauvet-DJ-Lighting-2-Intimidator-Spot-355Z-IRC-Moving-Head-Gobo-LED-Spot-Light-Road-Case-DMX-Cables-Clamps-IRC-6-Remote-CHAUVET-PACKAGE-535?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=GoogleBaseFeed&gclid=Cj0KEQiAhuSzBRDBoZfG56bK9-YBEiQARiPcZbRuMb6vh9QocI4yblZYya3zTKnE2hemtk02byAK_nMaApNl8P8HAQ

Then I was going to grab a dozen Blizzard Hotbox 5 RGBAW Lights. 8 along the back, 2 each totem just under the moving head and 2 each for the front side totems under the movers. The intention is to have a wash for the stage. I can get them online for $200 each so that's $2400 retail.

So at this point i'm at $10,650 without tax but I haven't gone chinese or cheap.

We decided that we want movers on the floor for effect and I love these little Zoom Wash/Beam hybrids. Something like maybe 2 of the ADJ Inno Pocket Z4's. That's another $900 right there. Throw in bar in front of drums, 2 more for the floor each side of the stage front and wedge pars for the Totems $600. A Roadcase for the Blizzard Hotboxes $200 from china (I'm ordering all my cases at once for a HUGE SAVINGS shipped from China. Made right though)...More DMX Cables etc...

So I'll call it around $13K before tax give or take depending on what the dealer can do. We're comfortable with that and as you know it's WAY WAY more than we need but it will compliment our video wall.

Sound reasonable?

We'll call
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 08:40:00 PM by Sean Mormelo »

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2015, 10:15:18 PM »

Do not pay advertised web prices.  Every dealer should be able to do better than that.  Many dealers give better pricing the less after sale support they think you will need so if you find a local LD that hooks you up and convinces a dealer to extend his pricing to you, you're set. 

It doesn't hurt to let dealers know you are quoting around either...  One may give you an amazing deal because they want to screw another dealer.  You don't need to know about the politics just take the good pricing. Don't however shop a quote asking others to do better.  If you do it often it will get around and dealers won't like you anymore...  Anyway these are lots of generalizations.  Ymmv.

Finally most Chauvet ships out of Florida I believe so in theory due to reduced shipping, Florida should have the best pricing in the US...  They may have a west coast warehouse too. 

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2015, 11:40:10 PM »

-Jeff

Of course. I could hang from the stuff and barely move it. Schedule 40 pipe is the kind of stuff that pipe and base stands are made of. In the theatre we would hang a few hundred pounds of lekos off of one of these stands. Its basic steel water/gas pipe you can find at the hardware store. They will usually cut and thread it for you if you wish.

I'm using a half-coupler with a global spigot thingy in it. Two of those in the end of the truss and its solid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2015, 11:40:10 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 23 queries.