ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Pro Lightshow for 6 Piece Corp/Wedding band  (Read 10968 times)

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Re: Pro Lightshow for 6 Piece Corp/Wedding band
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2015, 11:44:45 pm »

Closer shot
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2015, 12:28:31 am »

FWIW, "pipe" is measured based on its nominal inside diameter: 1 1/2" steel pipe measures 1.9"'o.d. Tubing is measured by its o.d., irrespective of wall thickness. 1.9"'= 48.26 mm; 2.0" = 50.8 mm. 1 1/2" pipe is the standard batten in a so-called legitimate theater (in North America, at least).
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2015, 10:06:53 pm »

Hey Jeff....

Thanks! The dealer here said they can do better than retail from anyone on the web so I have to assume as a package deal paying all at once I'll do better. Here's what I've put together so far.

I'm thinking of Starting with 4 Glo Totems, 2.5 Meter on the back wall, and 2 front left and right.. I can get them for $796.40 for two. So we'll Say $2400. http://www.idjnow.com/2-trusst-glo-totem-2-5.html

To go on top of the outside Totems I want 4 Chauvet Intimidator Wash 350Z's. I can get 2 with case for $1790 So lets say 4 in cases for $3600
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-CVT-INTMWSHZ350X2?src=Y0802G00SRCHCAPN&gclid=Cj0KEQiAhuSzBRDBoZfG56bK9-YBEiQARiPcZfU05T3FYT5YEROirzIHo5mARQ86Bw2xG3wTPezik8AaAolP8P8HAQ

For the inside totems back wall just behind the drummer I want to go with Spots with Gobos for special rotating beam effects, shining Gobos on walls, floors etc. Chauvet Intimidator 355Z, 2 with cases, clamps, cables is $2250 http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/Chauvet-DJ-Lighting-2-Intimidator-Spot-355Z-IRC-Moving-Head-Gobo-LED-Spot-Light-Road-Case-DMX-Cables-Clamps-IRC-6-Remote-CHAUVET-PACKAGE-535?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=GoogleBaseFeed&gclid=Cj0KEQiAhuSzBRDBoZfG56bK9-YBEiQARiPcZbRuMb6vh9QocI4yblZYya3zTKnE2hemtk02byAK_nMaApNl8P8HAQ

Then I was going to grab a dozen Blizzard Hotbox 5 RGBAW Lights. 8 along the back, 2 each totem just under the moving head and 2 each for the front side totems under the movers. The intention is to have a wash for the stage. I can get them online for $200 each so that's $2400 retail.

So at this point i'm at $10,650 without tax but I haven't gone chinese or cheap.

We decided that we want movers on the floor for effect and I love these little Zoom Wash/Beam hybrids. Something like maybe 2 of the ADJ Inno Pocket Z4's. That's another $900 right there. Throw in bar in front of drums, 2 more for the floor each side of the stage front and wedge pars for the Totems $600. A Roadcase for the Blizzard Hotboxes $200 from china (I'm ordering all my cases at once for a HUGE SAVINGS shipped from China. Made right though)...More DMX Cables etc...

So I'll call it around $13K before tax give or take depending on what the dealer can do. We're comfortable with that and as you know it's WAY WAY more than we need but it will compliment our video wall.

Sound reasonable?

We'll call

Yep, that sounds about right.  I wouldn't go for anything 'less' than what you mentioned above, but I think you made some nice choices on the movers.  The Intimidator Wash 350Zs are exactly the type of light I hoped you would choose.  They're very effective both with and without haze.  The 90w LED in the Intimidator Spots won't disappoint either and should work nicely with the 350s.  The Hotboxes are also another solid choice for what you're looking to do, so I think you're just about all set!  The ADJ Inno Pocket Z4's won't compare in output to the other units you've chosen, but they'll add some movement to your show, and that can certainly be a good thing.  I agree with the others though - never pay retail for any of this!  Shop around for quotes and see what people can do for you.  Of course how hard of a bargain you drive is up to you!  Package deals will probably get you the best price if you can find a dealer that carries all the manufacturers you're looking to buy from, but that shouldn't be too hard.  There are plenty of dealers on this website too that might be able to help you out.   

Of course. I could hang from the stuff and barely move it. Schedule 40 pipe is the kind of stuff that pipe and base stands are made of. In the theatre we would hang a few hundred pounds of lekos off of one of these stands. Its basic steel water/gas pipe you can find at the hardware store. They will usually cut and thread it for you if you wish.

I'm using a half-coupler with a global spigot thingy in it. Two of those in the end of the truss and its solid.

Thanks for the details!

Sean Mormelo

« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2015, 02:24:05 am »

Yep, that sounds about right.  I wouldn't go for anything 'less' than what you mentioned above, but I think you made some nice choices on the movers.  The Intimidator Wash 350Zs are exactly the type of light I hoped you would choose.  They're very effective both with and without haze.  The 90w LED in the Intimidator Spots won't disappoint either and should work nicely with the 350s.  The Hotboxes are also another solid choice for what you're looking to do, so I think you're just about all set!  The ADJ Inno Pocket Z4's won't compare in output to the other units you've chosen, but they'll add some movement to your show, and that can certainly be a good thing.  I agree with the others though - never pay retail for any of this!  Shop around for quotes and see what people can do for you.  Of course how hard of a bargain you drive is up to you!  Package deals will probably get you the best price if you can find a dealer that carries all the manufacturers you're looking to buy from, but that shouldn't be too hard.  There are plenty of dealers on this website too that might be able to help you out.   

Thanks for the details!

Jeff,

This dealer is suggesting the Rogue Series R1 stuff over the intimidators. The seem comparable and the cost is close. Would the Chauvet Professional Series lights be worth it over the Intimidators here?

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2015, 04:21:57 pm »

Jeff,

This dealer is suggesting the Rogue Series R1 stuff over the intimidators. The seem comparable and the cost is close. Would the Chauvet Professional Series lights be worth it over the Intimidators here?

It depends on what exactly you're looking for.  I would agree that in general, the Intimidator Series of products are at the upper end of 'DJ Class' whereas the Rogue R1 Series is closer to entry-level pro gear.  Of course, as long as the rig is reliable and your clients are happy it doesn't matter what 'grade' of equipment you're using!  So as far as comparisons go, if we're talking the Intimidator Spot 355Z vs the Rogue R1 Spot, you'll see a noticeable improvement with the R1.  Aside from a second gobo wheel and motorized focus, the 150w LED on the R1 will far outperform the 90w LED on the Intimidator.  The Intimidator zooms (only 7 degrees though) and the R1 has an iris - pretty much a wash from a beam perspective, except the zoom doesn't restrict light output or clip gobos.  I'd vote for the R1 if the price is close.

The Intimidator Wash 350Z vs the Rogue R1 Wash is a bit more interesting of a comparison.  For starters the Intimidator features 20w LEDs whereas the R1 only uses 15w.  Not a huge difference in output at that level, but side by side you'd probably notice it.  Both units have very similar zoom ranges, so no real difference there, but you'll notice the R1 uses a 'bubble' lens whereas the Intimidator uses individual lenses for each LED.  The huge bonus in having individual lenses is that your 'pixel' effects will be much more defined and easier to see from a distance.  The bubble lens almost obscures such effects.  Honestly, I'd vote for the Intimidator on this one.  I think it's more in line with what you're looking for, has higher output, and does the eye candy effects better.

Maybe others on here will bring up a point I missed, but that's the direction I'd go in your situation.  Don't feel obligated to buy all your lights from one series or one manufacturer.  One thing I did forget to mention in my last post is that what you're spec-ing won't fit on a single 20A circuit.  You'd have to add everything up to see where your power budget is now, but I'm guessing that all of this is at least 2 circuits.  If power is as tight as we think, that'd be the only rational I could think of to choose the 90w Intimidator Spot over the 150w R1 Spot.  Hope that helps!

-Jeff

Steve Garris

« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2015, 04:06:14 pm »

One thing I did forget to mention in my last post is that what you're spec-ing won't fit on a single 20A circuit.  You'd have to add everything up to see where your power budget is now, but I'm guessing that all of this is at least 2 circuits.  If power is as tight as we think, that'd be the only rational I could think of to choose the 90w Intimidator Spot over the 150w R1 Spot.  Hope that helps!

-Jeff

Intimidator Spot = 309w, 3.2A
R1 Spot = 225w, 2.0A

The Rogue Spot looks very cool - I would go with it if you have the funds.
The weight is considerably more though (R1 = 39 lb vs 355Z @ 27 lb)

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2015, 06:33:08 pm »

R1 Spot = 225w, 2.0A

Very interesting (and correct, according to Chauvet's website).  I wonder why the Intimidators draw about 100w more than the R1s while using a considerably less powerful LED?

Sean Mormelo

« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2015, 09:04:07 pm »

R1 Spot = 225w, 2.0A

The Rogue Spot looks very cool - I would go with it if you have the funds.
The weight is considerably more though (R1 = 39 lb vs 355Z @ 27 lb)

I know they have a new type of bulb they are using and they say smaller wattage is actually brighter than the older bulbs at higher wattage. That said here's the current specs on the Intimidator Spot 350.

• DMX Channels: 8 or 14
• DMX Connectors: 3-pin XLR
• Pan and Tilt: 540ฐ/270ฐ
• Pan and Tilt Ranges: 540ฐ, 360ฐ, 180ฐ pan/270ฐ, 180ฐ, 90ฐ tilt
• Colors: 8 + white, split colors, continuous scroll at variable speeds
• Gobos: 7 + open, rotating, interchangeable, indexing, slot-n-lock, continuous scroll at variable speeds
• Gobo Size: 24 mm outside, 20 mm image, 1.1 mm max thickness   
• Light Source: 1 LED (white) 75 W (17 A), 50,000 hours life expectancy
• Strobe Rate: 0 to 20 Hz
• Zoom Angle (manual): 12ฐ to 17ฐ
• Illuminance (12ฐ): 9,490 lux @ 2 m
• Illuminance (17ฐ): 4,670 lux @ 2 m
• Power Linking: 3 units @ 120 V; 7 units @ 230 V
• Input Voltage: 100 to 240 VAC, 50/60 Hz (auto-ranging)
• Power and Current: 272 W, 2.2 A @ 120 V, 60 Hz
• Power and Current: 285 W, 1.2 A @ 230 V, 50 Hz
• Weight: 22.7 lb (10.3 kg)
• Size: 10.6 x 13.4 x 15.4 in (268 x 340 x 392 mm)
• Approvals: CE

However, the one I was interested in was the355Z because of the special Wedding Gobo package...THAT baby looks powerful.

• DMX Channels: 9 or 15
• DMX Connectors: 3-pin XLR
• Pan and Tilt: 540ฐ/270ฐ
• Pan and Tilt Ranges: 540ฐ, 360ฐ, 180ฐ pan/270ฐ, 180ฐ, 90ฐ tilt
• Colors: 8 + white, split colors, continuous scroll at variable speeds
• Gobos: 7 + open (5 metal + 2 glass), rotating, interchangeable, indexing, slot-n-lock, continuous scroll at variable speeds
• Gobo Size: 24 mm outside, 20 mm image, 1.1 mm max thickness
• Light Source: 1 LED (white) 90 W (3.2 A), 50,000 hours life expectancy
• Strobe Rate: 0 to 23 Hz
• Zoom Angle (motorized): 10ฐ to 17ฐ
• Illuminance (10ฐ): 35,225 lux @ 2 m
• Illuminance (17ฐ): 11,800 lux @ 2 m
• Power Linking: 4 units @ 120 V; 7 units @ 230 V
• Input Voltage: 100 to 240 VAC, 50/60 Hz (auto-ranging)
• Power and Current: 309 W, 3.2 A @ 120 V, 60 Hz
• Power and Current: 283 W, 1.6 A @ 230 V, 50 Hz
• Weight: 27.4 lb (12.4 kg)
• Size: 13.4 x 9.7 x 18 in (340 x 248 x 456 mm)
• Optional Controllers: IRC-6
• Approvals: CE

But yea, I mean the moving heads will eat up a 20A Circuit and the washes and small movers will use another. Our Video, computers and board use another. Then I was thinking Subs one and Main speakers another. The subs are 1000Watt and the mains close to the same. Am I wrong here. My agent said for the bigger bands, he asks for 4-6 circuits, so I'm right at 5. However with weddings, I don't think I ever used more than 3 in another band. I can see potential problems and having to fit the lights on one circuit.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 09:23:57 pm by Sean Mormelo »

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2015, 11:00:48 pm »

I know they have a new type of bulb they are using and they say smaller wattage is actually brighter than the older bulbs at higher wattage.

That's a very situational condition.  You may be thinking of the newer short arc lamps like the 5r and 7r, and of course LED is it's own separate entity, though yes, both tend to produce more light than the equivalent 'conventional' discharge lamp (or equal light for less wattage).  In your case, all the units you're considering are LED, so it should be a pretty straightforward comparison. 

I do see some interesting numbers in the specs Chauvet provides...  First of all, I'll point out that the motorized zoom on the 355Z is a handy improvement over the manual zoom on the 350.  So to start with the Intimidator 350 - 75W LED, 272W total consumption.  If the LED burns up about 75W as advertised, where does the other 200W go?  I can't imagine that even a DJ light has such terrible efficiency!  At least the voltage/amperage/wattage roughly adds up.  Something seems off on the 355Z though - 3.2A at 120v isn't 309W...  More like 384W.  In fairness, the 350 doesn't add up exactly either, but it's much closer and more believable (despite inefficient).  You'll also notice that the 90W LED on the 355Z has 3.2A in parenthesis but the 350 quotes 17A with the 75W LED.  Now, in all fairness they could be being driven at a different voltage, but still...  All you care about is what's being pulled out of the wall, but something here isn't adding up.  Pulling almost 400W from a 90W LED fixture sounds highly suspect.  My 'old school' 150w discharge movers only draw about 185W at the wall...  I wouldn't have doubted the 300+ wattage to be from the R1, but certainly not from the Intimidator! 

But yea, I mean the moving heads will eat up a 20A Circuit and the washes and small movers will use another. Our Video, computers and board use another. Then I was thinking Subs one and Main speakers another. The subs are 1000Watt and the mains close to the same. Am I wrong here. My agent said for the bigger bands, he asks for 4-6 circuits, so I'm right at 5. However with weddings, I don't think I ever used more than 3 in another band. I can see potential problems and having to fit the lights on one circuit.

The best way I've figured out how to group lighting together is to actually measure the power consumption from each unit.  As you can see, specs can't always be trusted - over the years I've noticed an alarming number of 'typos' in manuals and spec sheets...  A basic volt/watt/amp meter will cost you about $20 and will tell you right away how many watts your mover is actually pulling.  Better meters cost more, but my cheap one has suited me well.  Sound is a little trickier.  While I do run a sound system of my own it's small chips compared to some of the other true experts on this forum, so I'll leave that answer to them.  My amateur opinion, assuming two subs and two tops, would be that you can have all four together on a circuit so long as you don't turn it up that high.  If you want to give yourself some margin or expect to be running into the red quite frequently, then yes, I'd split them.  I can promise that all your lighting won't fit onto one circuit though, hence we're right back where we started with either being able to scale the rig to fit the gig or being happy with a smaller system that can happily run on a single circuit. 
« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 11:46:20 pm by Jeff Lelko »

Sean Mormelo

« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2015, 02:56:30 am »

I can promise that all your lighting won't fit onto one circuit though, hence we're right back where we started with either being able to scale the rig to fit the gig or being happy with a smaller system that can happily run on a single circuit.

Yea I can see how I'm going to have to set up alternate scenes with less lights scaled to fit on one circuit. PA, Computers/Video and Lights in a pinch..Probably can make that work. Don't see how I can do the show we envision on less than 3 though scaled down. I feel more comfortable splitting the PA up as well so 4 is a comfort zone but for a low volume wedding one for PA should work....OR...I could just run 4 movers, or smaller 60 watters like my last band.....Might work.

ProSoundWeb Community

ยซ Reply #29 on: December 26, 2015, 02:56:30 am ยป

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 24 queries.