ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DLNA network audio player  (Read 2334 times)

Joseph D. Macry

• Austin TX
DLNA network audio player
« on: December 03, 2015, 10:10:20 am »

I've been asked to provide network audio players into some athletic training rooms at a local high school. I've been looking at Tascam's CD-240.
Has anyone had experience with these? Do they connect easily over LAN? What software do the users need on their networked computers? How does this DLNA standard work?
Joseph Macry,
Austin, TX

Scott Carneval

• Cenero Audio Visual
Re: DLNA network audio player
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 10:39:08 am »

I've been asked to provide network audio players into some athletic training rooms at a local high school. I've been looking at Tascam's CD-240.
Has anyone had experience with these? Do they connect easily over LAN? What software do the users need on their networked computers? How does this DLNA standard work?

Have you thought about Sonos? The Sonos Connect ($349) has RCA and SPDIF outputs to interface with an existing amp, or the Sonos Connect:Amp ($499) has 2 channels of around 50-80 watts and is stable to 4ohms. The app is very easy to use. Some pro a/v distributors are starting to carry them. I'm a dealer if you can't find them elsewhere. 

One thing to consider with any network audio player, Sonos included, is the same thing that makes them convenient for the end-user (network control, free app, etc.) can make them vulnerable to 'hijacking', meaning anyone on the network can take over control. The only successful way to implement them is on a secured network, where only the people you want to have control will be on that network. 

We attempted to use Sonos in 25 operating rooms at a hospital only to realize that ANYONE in the entire hospital campus could control the Sonos in each room. Even if we implemented our own secured network (we weren't allowed to) the 25 'authorized users' could have (and WOULD HAVE) inadvertently controlled someone else's device if they weren't careful about choosing which room they were in. 

Oh the caveats of using consumer technology in a commercial environment...

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 10:07:50 pm »

OK I'll bite...

WTF are consumer music playback devices doing in an O-R?

(-please tell me they are not playing audiobooks, such as "knee replacement in 38 easy steps" or "DIY brain Surgery on a Budget")

We attempted to use Sonos in 25 operating rooms at a hospital only to realize that ANYONE in the entire hospital campus could control the Sonos in each room. Even if we implemented our own secured network (we weren't allowed to) the 25 'authorized users' could have (and WOULD HAVE) inadvertently controlled someone else's device if they weren't careful about choosing which room they were in. 

Oh the caveats of using consumer technology in a commercial environment...
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Scott Carneval

• Cenero Audio Visual
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2015, 03:56:21 am »

They use them for background music. Apparently the surgeons each have personal favorite stations and that's what gets played. I guess whatever helps them focus....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joseph D. Macry

• Austin TX
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 04:05:28 pm »

OK I'll bite...

WTF are consumer music playback devices doing in an O-R?

(-please tell me they are not playing audiobooks, such as "knee replacement in 38 easy steps" or "DIY brain Surgery on a Budget")

This is not an "OR.' This is for two athletic spaces: A weight room (lifting weights) and a Fitness Room (exercise machines like treadmills etc.). They want to jam while working out.
Joseph Macry,
Austin, TX

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2015, 01:05:22 am »

Scott, above, mentioned an anecdote where he installed a product that's a possible solution (to your situation) in a local hospital's OR.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2015, 01:05:22 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 26 queries.